Author Topic: One question about a none K bike 😇  (Read 4629 times)

Offline Enfield

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
One question about a none K bike 😇
« on: October 07, 2018, 04:29:40 AM »
Hi all.
 I know it is not the right place.... but could really use some advice and I know there is quite a few here who has knowledge about it.
 I bought a R100RS a week ago, recently serviced and all - been riding around 500 km.  Whenever it is at idle the oilwarning comes on - previous owner said it was normal so I thought nothing about it..... that is untill I read about service etc... where I could read that oillight under no circumstances must turn on😕. I Think idle is set Way to low ... but plan to do an oilchange - dry and cut filter for inspection and measure canister depth to assure correct shims on filter...
  Just wanted to ask if any of you experience oillight coming on on your old R models at idle...without causing damage on the engine??
 I am totally novice on the R models and looking for a forum Like this - any hints about where to go would be Great.
Regards
Christian
  • Copenhagen
  • K100 RS , K100, Royal Enfield Bullet

Offline johnny

• TrailBrakingThrottleWhacker
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
  • Whacking...n...Chopping Sliding...n...High Siding
Re: One question about a none K bike 😇
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2018, 09:12:54 AM »
greetings...

needs jetted 50mm bings and plenty of no corn ethyl and techron... and techron... and techron...

j o
  • :johnny i parks my 96 eleven hundert rs motobrick in dodge county cheezconsin  :johnny

Offline beemuker

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2018, 09:19:06 AM »
what is the RPM when light comes on  and the color of light [red or amber?]
got this off vintage BMW site

Are you sure it's the oil pressure light (amber) and not the generator light (red)? The generator light should be on at a regular idle and disappear just above that point. The oil light should always be out. It's easy to confuse them.

• Panama City, FL
  • '00 R1100RT,’92 K75 RT,past tense:'83 R80ST, '93 K1100LT,,94 R1100RS K75s, Honda NC700, Suzuki Bandit 1200, bmw R75/5 Honda 750

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2018, 09:28:22 AM »
Don't run the engine when low oil pressure is indicated.

This is not confined to BMW R models or any other type of motorcycle or vehicle. Any internal combustion engine should be shut down when low oil pressure is indicated.The fact that your moto's low pressure warning light shuts off when the idle is increased could mean a few things—a low engine oil level, a defective oil pressure switch, a defective oil pumpor oil intake blockage, defective engine bearings. An engine in good condition regardless of whether it's an R or K should idle somewhat below its spec without indicating failing oil pressure unless defective oil pressure switches are endemic to the model, in which case they should be replaced with reliable switches.

I'd be investigating for a defective oil pressure switch first. There are a couple of good Airhead forums where you could find consultation—this one and this one over here.
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline beemuker

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2018, 09:30:50 AM »
what is the RPM when light comes on  and the color of light [red or amber?] I think the idle spec is 800-1100 rpm
got this off vintage BMW site

Are you sure it's the oil pressure light (amber) and not the generator light (red)? The generator light should be on at a regular idle and disappear just above that point. The oil light should always be out. It's easy to confuse them.
  • Panama City, FL
  • '00 R1100RT,’92 K75 RT,past tense:'83 R80ST, '93 K1100LT,,94 R1100RS K75s, Honda NC700, Suzuki Bandit 1200, bmw R75/5 Honda 750

Offline Enfield

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2018, 09:44:35 AM »

Aarrhh Christ - that is embarrasing 😰 it is red light..... Thanks I Will just go and enjoy my new bike👍🏻
Regards
Christian
  • Copenhagen

Offline Enfield

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2018, 09:46:52 AM »
@Laitch - thanks for the links - I will check it out. And read up a bit on the lights😬
Regards
Christian
  • Copenhagen

Offline Enfield

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2018, 09:47:41 AM »
greetings...

needs jetted 50mm bings and plenty of no corn ethyl and techron... and techron... and techron...

j o

👍🏻
  • Copenhagen

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2018, 09:57:35 AM »
Aarrhh Christ - that is embarrasing 😰 it is red light.....
:twak:
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline stokester

• ^ SuperNatural Motobricker
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2018, 03:19:41 PM »
Don't run the engine when low oil pressure is indicated.

This is not confined to BMW R models or any other type of motorcycle or vehicle. Any internal combustion engine should be shut down when low oil pressure is indicated.The fact that your moto's low pressure warning light shuts off when the idle is increased could mean a few things—a low engine oil level, a defective oil pressure switch, a defective oil pumpor oil intake blockage, defective engine bearings. An engine in good condition regardless of whether it's an R or K should idle somewhat below its spec without indicating failing oil pressure unless defective oil pressure switches are endemic to the model, in which case they should be replaced with reliable switches.

I'd be investigating for a defective oil pressure switch first. There are a couple of good Airhead forums where you could find consultation—this one and this one over here.
YES!
This is good advice regardless of the vehicle and I know you found the issue.

With the Airheads if the oil filter white O-ring is not properly compressed it will start with a low oil pressure light flicker and end with a ruined engine.  Snobums's site ->http://bmwmotorcycletech.info and others document all the details.
  • Yorktown Virginia
  • '94 K75S Dakar Yellow - '93 K75S Seiden Blau - '91 R100RT Bermuda Blue- '78 R100S Smoke Red

Tags: