Author Topic: Headed to the Barber Vintage Motorcycle Festival tomorrow  (Read 3665 times)

Offline island_boy

• Motobrick Curious
Headed to the Barber Vintage Motorcycle Festival tomorrow
« on: October 04, 2018, 11:43:55 PM »
If you're going, look for me on the old Pancake Special!

Cheers!

Chip

• Auburn, Alabama, USA
  • 1992 K100RS, 1973 Honda CL360 (sold to another owner who promptly blew it up)

Offline K1300S

• ^ Quintessential Motobricker
Re: Headed to the Barber Vintage Motorcycle Festival tomorrow
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2018, 08:04:01 AM »
that should be a blast!  take a bunch of pics to share!
Project Thread "K75s Midlife Refresh"
http://www.motobrick.com/index.php/topic,7810.0.html

Offline island_boy

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2018, 12:51:53 PM »
Pics shamelessly copied from my other link (the 325is vs K100RS video):

Having just returned from an amazing ride to Barber Motorsports and back for the Vintage Festival, my brick is cleaned out and running like a scalded dog. 

After putting around a college town (low mph) and occasional country rides for the past 3 years of brick ownership, she's running so fine thanks to her 'Italian tuneup' Friday!

Got to run her at highway speeds for 2 hours each way (80-110mph) and a very fun twisty road in N. Central Alabama (Hwy 25 from Leeds to Vincent), dubbed Alabama's "Little Dragon" (it's not, but it's nice), she's rarin' to go. 

And I'm gung-ho on all things brick now.  Even after seeing all those sweet bikes, sidecars, airheads, an orange metalflake glitter Norton, race bikes, vintage honda twins and fours, etc. 

Love, love, loving this K100RS!

Here's a few BMW pics from Friday's Vintage Festival.

My bike in the museum parking lot

Me, all sweaty after a hot but fun! 2 hour ride up.

Airhead built by Revival Cycle, out of Austin, TX.

Nice Marlboro GS built by Revival

Track decal applied to windscreen

Big K with sidecar

Crazy sidecar racer!

233 miles door to track to door.

Parking lot of the Ace Corner Cafe.

Back at the local coffee shop, track decals applied.

Should be good for getting back a few lost HP, right??   :giggles
  • Auburn, Alabama, USA

Offline johnny

• TrailBrakingThrottleWhacker
  • Whacking...n...Chopping Sliding...n...High Siding
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2018, 01:13:08 PM »
greetings...

the more you ride them hard the better they run and the less they need wrenching...

glad you gotts some yeeeehaaaa...

j o
  • :johnny i parks my 96 eleven hundert rs motobrick in dodge county cheezconsin  :johnny

Offline stokester

• ^ SuperNatural Motobricker
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2018, 03:04:24 PM »
Great ride report!

Thanks for sharing.
  • Yorktown Virginia
  • '94 K75S Dakar Yellow - '93 K75S Seiden Blau - '91 R100RT Bermuda Blue- '78 R100S Smoke Red

Offline island_boy

• Motobrick Curious
Even got to play with a big harley on the way back...
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2018, 03:44:45 PM »
On the way up I just sorta took it easy, screwed the throttle lock screw down around 70 and just cruised.  Got blown away by a newer GS and an older R type bike  like I was standing still, but I was riding my ride and feeling the bike.  Most highway miles I've ever put on her.

Coming back, I hit Hwy 25 and did some nice twisties, using 2/3/4 and hardly any brakes, and just let the bike do her thing.  So much fun.  Pickup in front and behind, the guy in front knew what he was doing and absolutely left me, the guy behind couldn't keep up.

The riding I did and the run-in time of the travel really cleaned her out, and she was running beautifully.  I kicked it up to 80 or so and tried to make some miles home.  But then, I started hearing the unmistakable sound of a loud-piped Big Harley.  I looked around, but couldn't see him anywhere behind me.  Then I saw him, about 3/4 mile ahead, as I crested a hill, he was cresting the one in front of me, and his pipes were that loud.

I noticed another bike with him, a smaller cruiser.  They were weaving through traffic, but the big Harley kept hitting the throttle wide open - womp! - and the whole bike would drop, and take off, WAHHHHHHH! - leaving the white smaller cruiser.  Then he'd get a distance ahead, let off the throttle completely, and let the smaller cruiser catch up.  Over and over, which is what got my attention.  Seriously, I started looking overhead for Blackhawk choppers...   :dunno2:

So I eased over, and caught up to them in the fast lane.  We started a convoy, and I thought, "This will be fun - someone to ride with the rest of the way home!"  Immediately, the white bike (Honda Shadow 750) pulled over and waved me up.  I pulled in the middle and he came back in behind.  Then, with me following the big twin, we started our high speed 80+ mph convoy through the rolling hills of Central Alabama.

But then, I noticed, the guy reach up on his gorilla hangers, and with a large gesture with his throttle hand...  womp!  WAHHHHHH!  He took off.  I rolled on, and easily caught him, but it surprised me when he rapidly let off and I came up on him rapidly decelerating...

After the 4th time, I'm thinking, "Ok, enough of this - he does it again and I'm passing him..."  Sure enough, I see his hands go up, and womp!  I signal, get in the fast lane, and roll on by him...  and past him...  and while I'm in mid-pass and he glances over to see what I'm on...  I reach over and grab this, and have a nice, big, gulp.  One handed, 110 mph...   :neener:

And he got mad as a hen, and pulled over at the next gas stop.  Never did see him again, and he never caught the old K-bike...

Which, did I mention, is running like an absolute champ!!   :clap:

• Auburn, Alabama, USA

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
Re: Even got to play with a big harley on the way back...
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2018, 05:39:01 PM »
. . . his pipes were that loud.
. . . I reach over and grab this, and have a nice, big, gulp.  One handed, 110 mph...   :neener:
And he got mad as a hen, and pulled over at the next gas stop.  Never did see him again, and he never caught the old K-bike...
If you had thanked him when you passed him for saving your life with his pipes, he might not have been so resentful.
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles
I wept because I had no radials until I met a man who had no splines.
https://tinyurl.com/RillRider

Offline island_boy

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2018, 08:54:23 PM »
I did - I thank him, and pointed to his cute Harley, at the same time!  Unfortunately, I was thirsty at the time...  as well...   :giggles

Ah well, I love playing w/ big iron.  Makes me love my brick that much more... 
  • Auburn, Alabama, USA

Tags: