Author Topic: It's alive!  (Read 5649 times)

Offline JPaganel

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
It's alive!
« on: September 27, 2018, 08:18:50 PM »
So, after installing the headlight, fixing the insulation in the fuel pump harness, cleaning out the hideous crud in the ignition switch and greasing it with nice silicone lube, and installing a fresh battery, the K  fired up.  There was some oil smoke on first start, which, I guess just comes from sitting. Cleared up pretty quick.

Now that it runs, I just need to find the damn title so I can register it...

Eventually, I will need to paint the headlight cover and tank - cover doesn't match anything, tank paint is all wonky around the filler cap. Also need to hook up those front turn signals.   Cover repair worked pretty good - I actually dropped it off the workbench, and none of the repaired cracks broke.
  • Minnesnowta
  • 1986 K100RT, 1996 R1100RS

Offline Chaos

• Administrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
  • Mars needs women!
Re: It's alive!
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2018, 09:04:03 PM »
running is good!
  • sw ohio
1987 K75S    VIN 0231
Original owner, Original litter
200,000 miles (plus or minus) and 5 paint jobs
sold 6/23
2023 Ural 2WD sidecar (BMW's bastard step child)

Offline Barry in IN

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2018, 10:50:49 PM »
It feels good to be close, doesn’t it? 
  • Indiana
  • 1992 K75S Lili Von Shtuppe
A pox on cafe “builders”

Offline JPaganel

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2018, 11:04:56 PM »
It feels good to be close, doesn’t it?

This not finding the title thing might make it farther than it appears...
  • Minnesnowta

Offline natalena

• ^ SuperNatural Motobricker
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2018, 04:59:57 PM »
Great to hear the brick turned over fine. I've replaced lost titles by requesting a duplicate title from DMV (California) for a small fee, it was easier than tearing the house apart looking for the original. Good luck.
  • MST
  • 1987 K75s #0919, '05 Sportster 1200C, '21 ARGO 8x8, '24 KLR650
Texas catheters ROCK!

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2018, 05:28:16 PM »
This not finding the title thing might make it farther than it appears...
It's nothing that money and time can't fix.  :2thumbup:
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles
I wept because I had no radials until I met a man who had no splines.

Offline JPaganel

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2018, 06:51:16 PM »
Great to hear the brick turned over fine. I've replaced lost titles by requesting a duplicate title from DMV (California) for a small fee, it was easier than tearing the house apart looking for the original. Good luck.

If it was in my name, wouldn't be a problem.

I bought this bike from a guy traveling with a RenFaire, title is in his name, he is long gone.

There is a process for this at the DMV, maybe I'll try that.

• Minnesnowta

Offline JPaganel

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2018, 10:43:28 PM »
Well, now it's street legal.

I went and filed a stack of paperwork with the DVS, and they gave me a plate. Not that they can't send me a letter later, but for now it's good.

Fixed the rear brake signal connector, so no more brake light alert.  Took her out on a 20-mile ride around town.

Runs nice, stops nice. Only thing that I am mildly concerned about is that occasionally under hard deceleration (like at a stoplight) it will stall. Starts right up, though.
  • Minnesnowta

Offline K1300S

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2018, 07:57:34 AM »
Only thing that I am mildly concerned about is that occasionally under hard deceleration (like at a stoplight) it will stall. Starts right up, though.

check for vacuum leaks.
check for vacuum leaks again.
fresh gas with techron

tune up (plugs, TB balance, mixture adjust)
Project Thread "K75s Midlife Refresh"
http://www.motobrick.com/index.php/topic,7810.0.html

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2018, 08:49:08 AM »
Runs nice, stops nice. Only thing that I am mildly concerned about is that occasionally under hard deceleration (like at a stoplight) it will stall. Starts right up, though.
I've reviewed your posts. The first one was at the beginning of October 2016. Have you done a tuneup on this bike? Admittedly, it has been in rough shape and electrical faults continue to surface. If you haven't, expecting it to perform well without a tuneup is leading to disappointment. mlytle alludes to this in his response to you.

Part of a tuneup consists of setting valve clearances, setting the idle and setting or eliminating the throttle position sensor. The effect of those tasks is predicated on a relative clean air filter, good spark plugs, a good fuel filter, functional fuel injectors and lack of intake leaks. Once you eliminate the electrical faults, it might be time to consider focusing on that totality involved with a tuneup rather than bouncing from symptom to symptom.
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles
I wept because I had no radials until I met a man who had no splines.

Offline natalena

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2018, 10:21:58 AM »
mlytle and Laitch's advise is on the "x" ring, and there are few things in Life that give more satisfaction than writing a list of "to-do" on notebook paper, masking tape it to the garage wall, and marking off each item with a fat Sharpie pen. It's almost sad to get to the last item. Almost. Good to hear you've got the plate/paperwork done, standing in those lines is way harder than a FD spline lube.
  • MST
Texas catheters ROCK!

Offline K1300S

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2018, 10:39:56 AM »
it might be time to consider focusing on that totality involved with a tuneup rather than bouncing from symptom to symptom.

yup.  chasing symptoms is a long term exercise in futility unless you have a BASELINE to work from. that baseline is a COMPLETE MAJOR TUNEUP.  no skipped steps.
Project Thread "K75s Midlife Refresh"
http://www.motobrick.com/index.php/topic,7810.0.html

Offline JPaganel

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2018, 12:04:46 PM »
I've been focusing on just making the thing run.  I seem to have succeeded.

Now that I know it runs, I will feel better putting more work into it.

Hilariously, the guy at the county service center said "oh, the bad thing is, you probably won't be able to sell the bike for a couple of years".  Heck, it's probably take me that long to get all the bugs out, and once that's done, why would I want to sell a perfectly running bike? :D
  • Minnesnowta

Offline The Mighty Gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2018, 10:00:43 AM »
Do a complete tuneup.  If it still stalls, try changing the voltage regulator on the alternator.  I had a similar problem on my '92 K100RS, and after trying everything else I seem to have fixed it with a new voltage regulator.  I suspect, but can't prove, that the alternator output voltage was dropping off after a run, and causing a problem with the ECU. 

The new owner has several thousand miles on it now and reports that it has not stalled after a run yet.
  • In my garage in Marilla, NY
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:
'91 K100RS16V "Moby Brick Too"

Past:
'94 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
'92 K100RS16V "Moby Brick" (RIP, deceased in a vehicular assault)
'94 K75S Special Edition Dakar Yellow "Cheetos"
'89 K100RS Special Edition "Special Ed"

Offline JPaganel

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2018, 01:17:51 PM »
Well, things got a little more interesting...

I fixed the starter button by pulling a good one from an R bike switch I picked up for $12.  I was kinda hoping to use the whole switch, but the Bavarians decided to change up connectors on me, and I really didn't feel like resoldering all of that.

In the process of switch replacement I managed to lose the only key I had.  Being the resourceful sort I am, I pulled the ignition lock figuring I'd get the key code and order a key. Bavarians struck again - there is no code on the cylinder. Lock wafers seem to have numbers, but they were too faint to read.  So, I would up calling around a dozen locksmiths until I found one that had an Ilco Y61 blank. Most never heard of it, the ones that did were out of it, and the couple who were nice enough to check into special order told me the distributor is out of them, too, and it would be a 2-week wait. 

Seeing how I already had the cylinder out, he made me a key easy-peasy. Not very cheap, though. He only works mobile, so I had to pay a $35 service call charge on top of the normal key price. I did get  two shiny new keys and a super nicely working ignition lock out of the deal. 

Incidentally, anyone have a spare ignition lock kicking around they don't need? One of  the tangs on mine is broken. I can swap cylinders, so it doesn't have to have a key, or anything.

While all that was going on I also discovered that the power socket on the coil cover was broken in half, with the rear swinging free and threatening to short to the frame.  Fortunately, I had a Powerlet  socket I bought to install on another bike laying around. 12 bucks on eBay, milled aluminum body and spring loaded cover. Much higher quality than the Bavarian plastic original.

So, with a proper start button and a new key, and another electrical threat eliminated,  I decided to roll it into the garage. At which point it failed to start.

It took a squirt of ether to get it going enough to make it up the driveway and to the garage door. I'm guessing that means something is up with fuel delivery. The hoses in the tank don't leak, and I can feel pressure in them and hear the pump running, so it has to be something past that.  I have a fuel filter on order and a crankcase breather hose, just in case. Between that and some new plugs, it ought to run enough so that I can look for vacuum leaks. BTW, checked the throttle switch, it seems to be set correctly.

Before you guys start ragging on me about a full tuneup, I heard you. I am working on this bike with my left hand between work and a bunch of other stuff, I can't devote the time to it all in one shot. So, baby steps. I am not expecting it to run perfect immediately.

As an aside, how common it is for the injectors to clog on these things?

• Minnesnowta

Offline JPaganel

« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2018, 09:51:50 PM »
It's alive once again.

Checked the crankcase vent - sure 'nough, cracked. 
Also found a vacuum leak source - o-rings around injectors.
On general principle, replaced the TB vacuum caps, since I had to get to the minimum order from Beemer Boneyard, anyway.

So, with all that mind, I got a set of new injectors ($50, which is about what a cleaning and a fresh set of o-rings would run), a new vent pipe, a proper Mahle fuel filter (what I had was some generic thing) and a fresh set of plugs.

While I was at it, replaced a few missing screws.

With all that in place, it started up fine, warmed up in a few minutes, and idled smoothly. Don't know if the decel issue is still there, but it sure feels better.

I also feel lots better about having a working starter button - the broken one got stuck a couple of times, had to wiggle it to get the starter to stop cranking. 

Don't know if it will ever be pretty, but it will be a runner, yet.
  • Minnesnowta

Offline JPaganel

« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2018, 01:54:30 PM »
Now, that's what a startup should sound like.

Set valves, clean injectors, new injector o-rings, new fuel filter and hoses, charged battery, fresh gas.

It really is alive.
  • Minnesnowta

Offline natalena

« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2018, 02:28:33 PM »
Getting her purring is great news! Kudu's for staying persistent in taking care of the bricks needs.
  • MST
Texas catheters ROCK!

Tags: