Author Topic: K100 GSXR conversion questions  (Read 18357 times)

Offline Max

• Motobrick Curious
Re: K100 GSXR conversion questions
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2018, 11:22:46 AM »
Nickheijman 👍Cheers bud. I am still going ahead with the GSXR front as I have come this far. Be careful with what brakes you put on as I have looked into upgrading my master cylinder to a k1100 as the diameter is 20mm but this then means I have to change the controls, throttle etc and this is not cheap. What I am going to do is use the gsxr600 twin pot calipers as this will work fine with the standard 13mm set up on the BMW.

Google is your friend if you like computers and the Internet. I don't! Infact I hate computers because I cannot see how they work. Trial and error and having the balls to give things a go is what I find works but thank you for all the constructive comments. The thing that got me was being told the GSXR wheel cannot take the tire but without any explanation why?

The pic is the Firestone classics I want to buy in a 17" tire. I'm sure they will work but only way to know is to try. If not I have other bikes I can put them on, it's only money.
  • Uk
  • K100rs

Offline NickHeijman

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2018, 11:47:04 AM »
The tire looks good !

I’m planning to change the controls also, so I will buy a brembo master and clutch set this winter when I do the USD fork swap.
Regarding the K1100 brake cylinder, i’m using one now on my k75 and it works like a charm bro!
Here is a picture.

I used the throttle cable of the k1100 with a custom braket on the k75 throttle body.
  • Breda
  • BMW K75S

Offline Max

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2018, 02:11:24 PM »
I'm struggling to find a k1100 set up second hand and its around $500 new, might be cheaper to buy a k1100 complete. Love the intake on the k75 bud, bet she sucks like a prostitute.
  • Uk
  • K100rs

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2018, 02:19:39 PM »
Love the intake on the k75 bud, bet she sucks like a prostitute.
Don't try that with it at home, Max.  :nono
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles
I wept because I had no radials until I met a man who had no splines.
https://tinyurl.com/RillRider

Offline NickHeijman

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2018, 02:57:24 PM »
For me the k1100 is just temporary since I borrowed it from a friend. The female banjo is thread is worn out on my k75 master cylinder. As mentioned I will go for a brembo set with also a usd swap so for now its okay. For you it will be a good solution to use the 4 pod calipers with the usd form and oem handlebar controls. How come they are so expensive if you want we have these k1100 local for not more then 100€ used in good shape.
  • Breda
  • BMW K75S

Offline johnny

• TrailBrakingThrottleWhacker
  • Whacking...n...Chopping Sliding...n...High Siding
« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2018, 03:54:52 PM »

* tior01.png (93.21 kB . 366x437 - viewed 4051 times)
  • :johnny i parks my 96 eleven hundert rs motobrick in dodge county cheezconsin  :johnny

Offline robotradio

• Curious
« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2018, 12:29:13 PM »
I'm doing a GSXR conversion myself on a '91 K100 LT.  Purchased donor fork from 2008 GSXR 600, cognito moto conversion stem and cognito moto gsxr machined upper triple, allballs bearings same for top and bottom (99-3521-5) , front brake calipers from 2009 Yamaha R6r paired with venhill brake lines, mswitch 3 button control / munit blue / master brake cylinder / clutch controls from amazon.  I will be reusing the bmw rim on the gsxr front with some tbd spacers. Ditched the choke.

https://www.allballsracing.com/99-3521-5.html

https://cognitomoto.com/collections/fork-conversion-parts/products/gsx-r-fork-on-bmw-r50-r60-r75-r90-frame-conversion-stem?variant=3724295241768
  • Austin
  • K100 LT

Offline robotradio

• Curious
« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2018, 12:31:16 PM »
What's keeping you from using the BMW rim? Aesthetic?
  • Austin
  • K100 LT

Offline Max

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2018, 01:22:54 PM »
Fair point! I thought trying to make to BMW wheel fit would be a nightmare in itself, as in disk alignment to the calipers, disk size etc. I am going to play around and see if I can make it work. Where do these spacers go? Between the disk and wheel or disk and fork?. I have a complete GSXR front end and just tried like for like but you have got me thinking now.
I have ordered the cognito stem and top yoke, just waiting on delivery to continue
  • Uk
  • K100rs

Offline Max

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #34 on: September 28, 2018, 01:26:06 PM »
Ok so I have the original BMW wheel fitted to the GSXR forks with spacers and now have an issue with caliper alignment as the BMW disks are too small a diameter. I have 1998 GSXR forks with 90mm hole centres for the caliper mounts, r6 calipers have 100mm mounting points so they won't work. Either I find larger disks to fit the BMW wheel or find calipers with 90mm mounting points that sit at an angle to fit the BMW disks.
  • Uk
  • K100rs

Offline NickHeijman

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #35 on: September 28, 2018, 01:34:51 PM »
What about the GSXR calipers? Will they do the job?
  • Breda
  • BMW K75S

Offline Max

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #36 on: September 28, 2018, 01:40:05 PM »
Got them on at the mo, the GSXR disks are a larger diameter than the BMW disks so the brake pads are only just on the outer edge of the BMW disks. I have a set of BMW rr wheels that would work but I don't like the off set on the rear wheel as its about an inch off centre and looks pants.
  • Uk
  • K100rs

Offline Max

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #37 on: September 28, 2018, 01:44:09 PM »
Next challenge
  • Uk
  • K100rs

Offline Max

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #38 on: September 28, 2018, 02:14:51 PM »
I have also solved the issue regarding the GSXR wheel with a cafe style tire on. I spoke to a TT racer and he explained the difference in radial and crosply tires and said I could put a crosply onto the GSXR rim with the use of an inner tube but this would make the front end twitchy and dangerous. I can use a radial on the rear BMW rim no problem but this is not the look I am going for, So once again it's back to the drawing board.
  • Uk
  • K100rs

Offline NickHeijman

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #39 on: September 28, 2018, 03:58:00 PM »
Ah okay I see you need bigger rotors, however it must work because a lot of people did it before :)
I'm going for the ZX9R or ZX7R fork, this is interchangeable and also the BWM K rims will go in easy with the stock Nissin callipers.

Good luck, looking forward on your end result.
  • Breda
  • BMW K75S

Offline Max

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #40 on: October 11, 2018, 12:57:37 PM »
Ok so I have decided to carry this on for future Frankenstein minded people. The cognito moto trees are fitted, I'm not overly impressed with the trees as for a polished finish they are covered in machining marks and has a score running across the top tree. I will have to anodise or paint these now, also the steering stops are rubbish and I had to grind down on the inner lip to clear the steering tunnel, even with spacers on the stem, then add a 4mm rubber pad as there was not enough adjustment on the stops.
The tire issue has been solved by running a 110/70/17 on the GSXR rim and a 140/60/17 on the k1100 rim. I know I could have gone to a 160 on the rear but you will gain much more in height than you would width because of the narrow rim and this would change the geometry even more. In reality the bike has been lowered a total of 46.6 mm front and back with the the aid of the adjustable rear shock, not ideal but best I can get it, the test will be in the ride. I am interested to see how this effects the side stand issue too, should help if any thing and better than attaching a big block on the end of it.

I have also upgraded the rear disk and pads to brembo as the front now has 6 pots. Side exit exhaust fitted and just the electrics and hook up the koso dl-03sr speedo to work out.
NickHeljman thanks for the offer on mastercylinder bro but I'm going to buy the k1100rs master new, I have gone this far with it and can't cheap out now.
  • Uk
  • K100rs

Offline robotradio

• Curious
« Reply #41 on: October 12, 2018, 06:43:44 PM »
Thanks for the update! I went with the black anodized gsxr -> bmw conversion top triple.  I also noticed the machine marks, but gives it more character :P  So your analysis is that the bmw brake rotors won't fit with the gsxr calipers? I personally have 2006-7 GSXR 600 front end, so the sizings are probably a little diff than your 98(?) gsxr front. 
  • Austin
  • K100 LT

Offline Max

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #42 on: October 13, 2018, 04:37:02 AM »
It was not the machining marks that bothered me so much as the score down the middle of the top tree, this is a machining line where the two surfaces are slightly different heights.
Regarding the rotors I worked out if I used a k1100 rs front wheel as the spindle size is the same, rotor dimensions are 300mm then did some reading into what Suzuki runs a 300mm rotor. The closest I could find was a 305 rotor on a Suzuki ( can't remember which ) this would mean there would be a difference in cercumfrance of 2.5 mm and would mean I would have to purchase another set of calipers, as well as the k1100 wheel and disks. You just need to look to find what will work for your set up and then get a master cylinder to fit, but then in changing the mastercylinder you also will need to change the controls,throttle etc.
What I am looking into now is a BMW r1100s front wheel, the spindle size is smaller but wonder if I can press bigger I/d bearings into it to fit the larger spindle. Disk rotors are the same 320mm as the Suzuki so it should work.
  • Uk
  • K100rs

Offline NickHeijman

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #43 on: October 16, 2018, 03:35:05 PM »
Looks good Max !

Go for a nice black look on the lower and upper triple. I'm sure it will looks amazing on it.
How did you end up with the break callipers ?

I have the ZX7R fork ready now. Bearings just arrived OD 52 ID 34 H12mm Need to grind the stem down 1mm and make 2 rings of 4mm to cover the 12mm height of the bearings to the 16mm height in the frame.

Needed to make 2 spacers to fit the stock K75 rim in. Rest is fits like a glove.

Looking forward to see your master cylinder and all on the bike !
  • Breda
  • BMW K75S

Offline Max

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #44 on: October 17, 2018, 01:19:55 PM »
Thanks Nick 👍 Get some pics of yours up 👍👍 saying about turning your stem down I only took off 1mm to my old one before I went cognito. The bearings cognito supplied me were 30/52/16. I used one 4mm spacer and had too otherwise the top nut would have not seated on the top tree, there was clearance without the spacer otherwise
So I have put the R1100s wheel on stop For the time being and sticking with the GSXR wheel, disks and callipers. The mastercylinder arrived today as well as the throttle housing, I went for a k100rs 16v as its a 20mm bore and can use my original switchgear. The draw back is I also needed to buy a brake leaver and brake switch and throttle cable as they are all different to the 8v. I had to modify the throttle cable as there was just not enough adjustment on the throttle to take up the slack, added a small spacer ( pics attached ) and works like a dream. It's all coming together nicely, should be finished just in time for winter 👉😞
  • Uk
  • K100rs

Offline Max

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #45 on: October 21, 2018, 11:54:34 AM »
Ok, so next problem is.... The cognito trees are wrong for my forks, the trees hold the forks 7mm closer together than the standard 98 GSXR set up. I cannot mount the brake Callipers as they foul on the disks being so much closer together. I'm not sure why this is yet and have contacted cognito, I notice there are a few variations of the GSXR usd forks ranging from 98-2003. I can cure this by filing down 3mm from the calliper mounting points, 1.5mm from each side of the mounting point should not hurt, or find the right forks for the trees, unless cognito has messed up?. Another unexpected problem to solve, so far I am not overly impressed with going the cognito route.
  • Uk
  • K100rs

Offline rbm

« Reply #46 on: October 21, 2018, 08:03:59 PM »
Max, if you don't get satisfaction from Cognito and are forced to modify the parts yourself, I'd recommend getting the work done at a local machine shop.  You need precision and you won't achieve that by hand filing.
  • Regards, Robert
Toronto, Ontario

1987 K75 - Build Blog @http://k75retro.blogspot.ca/

Offline Max

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #47 on: October 22, 2018, 02:30:28 PM »
You are exactly right rbm, but hopefully won't come to that. Cognito have been great and turns out it was my mistake. The GSXR 600/750 1996-99 have a fork width ( centre to centre ) of 214mm, the later models as in last of the 99s went to a 207mm fork centre. The k1 GSXR 2000-03 have 207 mm and is what cognito sent me. As I live in the uk it would cost a bomb to return the trees so just sucking it up and getting the right forks for the trees. I need GSXR 1000 forks and brakes, the wheel is the same. I actually prefer the look of the k1 forks so selling my 98 forks and callipers and upgrading.

If life was easy it would be boring!
  • Uk
  • K100rs

Offline Max

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #48 on: October 22, 2018, 02:36:01 PM »
The fork matrix for Suzuki if any one needs it
  • Uk
  • K100rs

Tags: