Author Topic: Headstock bearings  (Read 5070 times)

Offline Nessmuk

• Motobrick Curious
Headstock bearings
« on: October 09, 2011, 02:40:09 PM »
Ever since getting my K100RT a few months back it's had an intermitent knocking sound when braking.  Sometimes it would knock when braking and then again when accelerating afterwards.  The previous owner gave me a set of replacment bearings that he had got a while ago but never fitted as it had only needed adjustment.

Well, I tried adjusting it and reduced the knock but couldn't get rid of it.  On Saturday I decided to fit the bearings he gave me with the bike.  Not too bad a job, but the Haynes book mentions using all sorts of exotic gear to pull the old races out which had me slightly worried.  Stripping it down showed you could get to the back of the races in the frame and just drift them out, both came out very easily.  I used a dremel type tool on the lower race on the bottom yoke, cutting a slot in it and then cracking the race with a cold chisel.  It then dropped right off.

Reassembly went smoothly too.  Overall it took about 5 1/2 hours from start to finish, with 10 minutes today to bleed the brakes before going for a test ride.

What a difference, no more knocking and it seems to handle better too.  Not pushed it yet but it doesn't seem to shake it's head like it used to, a bit more riding will tell.

Result!
'88 K100RT in some sort of blue.
Agree Agree x 1 View List

Offline Chaos

• Administrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
  • Mars needs women!
Re: Headstock bearings
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2011, 03:40:20 PM »
Had exactly the same scenario with mine last year. Cold chisels, dremel and a heat gun were all the exotic tools I used.  That and new tires, shock and rebuilt forks the old dog rides like a puppy!
  • sw ohio
1987 K75S    VIN 0231
Original owner, Original litter
200,000 miles (plus or minus) and 5 paint jobs
sold 6/23
2023 Ural 2WD sidecar (BMW's bastard step child)

Rick G

Re: Headstock bearings
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2011, 07:59:30 PM »
You really don't feel them going away but when they are replaced the difference is amazing.

Tags: