Author Topic: Confuse and without resources  (Read 5514 times)

Offline Kevinb

• Motobrick Curious
Confuse and without resources
« on: August 12, 2018, 07:06:36 PM »
Hello all,

I drove down my brick, a 1990 K100rs 4v, from Montreal to Cancun, it was amazing, but now, I have problem with the best. It all started on the road.

1-first my fan stop, the fan was clearly dead, thank to a brother, I found a replacement on the road, replace it, but was not just the fan, a sensor or I don't know what... (so I installed a temp switch, to survive the trip)
2-after some very hot day in Texas, the lights started to act out, they were not turning off, even with the ignition off, some people on the internet suggested it was probably a dirty ignition, so i clean the SH'' out of it, but no result, so I started to unplug the ground at night, I still had 3000 km to do
3-the bike started to not starting, but in random bases, sometime was ok, other time I had to ''start it on compression'', more the days were passing, harder it was
4-finally arrive home, in Cancun, toke my contact cleaner, clean every plug, contacts, name it, motronic cable, every plug... Result, now the light are off, but they don't turn on anymore, the blinkers also stopped working, and the bike doesn't start anymore, even and second...
5-trying to identified the problem, I found out, 2 dead relay, and i kill one by mistake, so I'm -3 relay, find a temp relay from a car shop, don't think it's a ideal solution, but parts take 2/3 weeks to arrive here and the Motorrad in Cancun, never work on a K100, not sure, think it was not sold in Mexico

The Motronic qive me the error 1133, not sure what to do from there, the electrical situation of the bike is a nightmare, the previous owner butcher cables, remove the abs for I don't know what reason... 
At that point, I'm just lost, I don't know what would be the logical step to follow, I feel like these more then 1 problem, and I'm basically alone to resolve all that.

Other info about the bike, last owner as changed the front blinkers, for LED, and the headlight for 2 smaller headlight, bypass the side stand switch,remove the gas and temp gauge, but I putted back the gas one, and as far as I know, that's it.

I also have a unknown cable, cut, getting out of the hall... the smaller gauge one
  • Mexico Puerto Morelos
  • K100rs 1990

Offline The Mighty Gryphon

• Administrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
Re: Confuse and without resources
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2018, 08:13:52 PM »
The wire in the photo was probably for the temperature gauge. 

As far as other problems, have you pulled the starter and checked and cleaned the brushes.  Worn brushes and a dirty commutator in the starter will cause a lot of electrical problems.  Having a good starter motor is important for success in electrical troubleshooting.

You also want to make sure that the ground connections on the side of the transmission and under the tank are all clean and tight before starting any serious troubleshooting.

• In my garage in Marilla, NY
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:
'91 K100RS16V "Moby Brick Too"

Past:
'94 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
'92 K100RS16V "Moby Brick" (RIP, deceased in a vehicular assault)
'94 K75S Special Edition Dakar Yellow "Cheetos"
'89 K100RS Special Edition "Special Ed"

Offline Kevinb

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2018, 08:28:28 AM »
Hello,

Thanks for the tips, I will clean that this week.

So you think it's the temp gauge, very possible, anyone as a photo of the path of that cable, I would like to fix that too.

Thank you

Kev
  • Mexico Puerto Morelos
  • K100rs 1990

Offline Kevinb

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2018, 03:20:25 PM »
So, I did clean the starter, but the bike didn't start, almost started on compression, but didn't.

Doesn't seems to me like it was in great shape, so I'm thinking getting a new one, I live in Mexico now, so it will probably take a good month before I get the replacement.
  • Mexico Puerto Morelos
  • K100rs 1990

Offline kenray

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2018, 06:15:24 PM »
I'm not the smartest brick rider out here but can you take the starter off and take it somewhere and have it checked before buying a new one? I think they can be rebuilt as well. Hope you get it running soon. ken in texas.
  • Katy Tx.  (West Houston area)
  • 1989 K100rs (se)
1989 k100rs

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2018, 11:28:51 PM »
Did you check the length of the brushes?  If they are worn below the service limit they will cause all sorts of electrical problems.
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:

Past:

Offline rbm

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2018, 08:48:13 AM »
So you think it's the temp gauge, very possible, anyone as a photo of the path of that cable, I would like to fix that too.
The temp gauge sensor wire goes from the sensor un the base of the water pump, through a hole in the water pump housing, along the channel just under the HWS cover.  That same channel is also used by the HES wire.  Both wires exit at the top of the HES cover and immediately enter the rest of the bike's wiring at the headset.  The temp gauge wire will end in a connector somewhere near the middle of the tank, on the right side.
  • Regards, Robert
Toronto, Ontario

1987 K75 - Build Blog @http://k75retro.blogspot.ca/

Offline Kevinb

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2018, 10:10:54 AM »
Did you check the length of the brushes?  If they are worn below the service limit they will cause all sorts of electrical problems.

One of the brush is almost gone, the second have haft size, so 6mm. but the white varnish around the coil is very thin now or completely remove at some spot, the cooper dent on the shaft that make contacts with the brush are almost flush with the negative.

It show that is the original and could have use some TLC form the last owners...
  • Mexico Puerto Morelos
  • K100rs 1990

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2018, 10:58:39 AM »
Worn brushes on the starter will cause a lot of trouble.  They don't cost that much to replace.  Sounds like yours are worn out.
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:

Past:

Offline Skunky

• ^ SuperNatural Motobricker
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2018, 07:51:34 AM »
Starter Lights Fan all packing up at the same time. This sounds more like earthing issues. Check and remake the earth connection under the tanks clean it grease it and remake it and you may eliminate a lot of the issues. 
  • Derby GB
  • BMW K100lt
Rebuild it and they will come..
90 K100lt
Triumph Thruxton 900
Honda CB400F

Offline bizzaro

• co pilot
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2018, 10:46:08 AM »
I am with Gryph here. I am leaning towards a grounding issue, probably at your starter,(for sure your brushes sound spent?)Make absolutely sure that your battery is good, and the battery ground is absolutely grounded properly. Get a new or rebuilt starter that you you know is good. If you can't find one there, use the internet. You could even mail it up for a rebuild.  Sounds like something wore out. As it got progressively worse. (Starter)
  • Vermont
  • Current:1994 BMW K1100LT Previous: 1982 Yamaha virago 920,1973 Honda CB550,1976 Yamaha 650 Special
See Ya in the Twisties,
 Bizz

Offline Hans Gruber

• Curious
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2018, 07:58:36 PM »
It’s always the battery.
  • Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
  • 1987 K75

Offline Kevinb

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2018, 08:25:37 AM »
Hello All!

So it was indeed the starter, now the lights are acting as normal, the bike start, and I will test run her to work to see if my Fan issues are also fix!!!

Thank for the help
  • Mexico Puerto Morelos
  • K100rs 1990

Offline bizzaro

• co pilot
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2018, 11:08:33 AM »
Thanks for the update.  :clap: :clap:
And how many miles on the bike?(starter)
  • Vermont
  • Current:1994 BMW K1100LT Previous: 1982 Yamaha virago 920,1973 Honda CB550,1976 Yamaha 650 Special
See Ya in the Twisties,
 Bizz

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2018, 11:10:13 AM »
Thanks for the update.  :clap: :clap:

+1 Did you replace the whole starter, or just the brushes?
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:

Past:

Offline Kevinb

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2018, 12:29:29 PM »
I try just the brushes, but was not enough, so I changed the entire unit
  • Mexico Puerto Morelos
  • K100rs 1990

Tags: