Author Topic: Gauges for K75S - What Say You?  (Read 1969 times)

Offline paratrooper34

• Motobrick Curious
Gauges for K75S - What Say You?
« on: August 11, 2018, 07:06:54 PM »
Hey All,

I am thinking about getting a fuel gauge and oil pressure gauges for my '88 K75S.  Obviously, these bikes didn't come with them from the factory (at least all that I have seen) and I would like to add these for convienence.  So has anyone ever done this?  I know there needs to be some kind of provisions for sending units and such.  Would like to hear what you all think about this.
  • Western Mass
  • 1988 K75S, 2011 Ducati 1198SP, 1973 Triumph Trident (undergoing restoration)
Mike
US Army (RET)

Offline Chaos

• Administrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
  • Mars needs women!
Re: Gauges for K75S - What Say You?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2018, 07:41:32 PM »
BMW included oil temp and fuel gauges on some K models and the harness on all K's includes the connections for those items.  I had fitted the gauges in the fairing on my S, both were wildly inaccurate and I never bothered to resolve the issue.  Then I wrecked the bike and left the gauges off when I rebuilt it. 
  • sw ohio
1987 K75S    VIN 0231
Original owner, Original litter
200,000 miles (plus or minus) and 5 paint jobs
sold 6/23
2023 Ural 2WD sidecar (BMW's bastard step child)

Offline alexg

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
Re: Gauges for K75S - What Say You?
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2018, 09:01:07 PM »
Hi:
I am not a fan of adding or subtracting stuff to cars or bikes, but a temp gauge is a useful addition.

There is really not an optimal placement of the gauges in the fairing sides of the 75S, but I made a compromise and put a temp gauge on the left hand side. Some of the wiring is already there, as well as the sender for the fuel gauge. You will have to get the gauge, the temp sender, and a couple of wires to complement.

I decided against the fuel gauge, since the idiot light works, and did not wanted another hole on the RHS fairing. An oil pressure gauge, in my opinion, is not necessary: with the bike idling at good operating temperature, if the oil lamp does not flicker, you have good oil pressure. If you are really curious about it, put a temporary one and measure the behavior for a couple of weeks.

There are enough explanations about how to do it on this very laudable site; if you look you will find my post as well as a number of others.
  • Michigan
  • '93 K75S, 1975 BMW R75/6 & 1984 Yamaha RZ350
Alex G.

Tags: