Author Topic: Canadian Rockies In October  (Read 2338 times)

Offline The Mighty Gryphon

• Administrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
Canadian Rockies In October
« on: August 01, 2018, 05:11:59 PM »
I'm thinking about a trip out west this Fall and taking the TransCan through the Canadian Rockies.  Because of my work schedule I can't leave before September 27 which will put me in the Rockies between October 1 and October 4.

I'm kind of concerned about snow in the passes and being stuck.  Looking on the interweb I see people talking about everything from sunny weather at 30C to -5C with raging blizzards.  Knowing how some people talk out their arse on the web, what can I really expect to run into during the first week of October?  Anyone who can share some local knowledge? 
  • In my garage in Marilla, NY
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:
'91 K100RS16V "Moby Brick Too"

Past:
'94 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
'92 K100RS16V "Moby Brick" (RIP, deceased in a vehicular assault)
'94 K75S Special Edition Dakar Yellow "Cheetos"
'89 K100RS Special Edition "Special Ed"

Offline riots100

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
Re: Canadian Rockies In October
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2018, 06:30:04 PM »
Having grown up on the U.S. side in the Rockies, and having been a small plane pilot for a period of time flying over the mountains of Wyoming and Utah, I can say that the weather can change very, very quickly.  I have personally experienced a raging snowstorm in the morning, and a bright sunny, warm afternoon on the same day - watching the snow melt.  The higher you go, the wilder it can get.  Also, most of the weather events are highly localized, on one side of a mountain pass you could be snowed in, on the other side you could be getting a tan.  It makes planning for the weather that much harder.  Years ago, my old flight instructor was killed when his plane went down in a sudden winter squall in the rockies of Wyoming.  In my experience the weather was more unpredictable during the months of October and April.

It's unpredictable for sure at that time of year, you might get lucky, but then again, you might not.
  • Los Angeles, CA
  • 1992 K75, 2007 K1200GT, 1991 K100RS
----
BDJ

Offline bizzaro

• ^ SuperNatural Motobricker
  • co pilot
Re: Canadian Rockies In October
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2018, 04:41:23 PM »
And your wings will be three feet off the gorund which will give you the option to hold up and wait it out, or proceed at your own risk. Unlike a squall that hits you in midflight!
  • Vermont
  • Current:1994 BMW K1100LT Previous: 1982 Yamaha virago 920,1973 Honda CB550,1976 Yamaha 650 Special
See Ya in the Twisties,
 Bizz

Tags: