Author Topic: Tube Tires  (Read 4508 times)

Offline Grant

• Motobrick Curious
Tube Tires
« on: July 28, 2018, 10:30:11 PM »
I searched and can't find a definitive answer, can I use a tube type tire on my 1984 k100? Or are the rims designed only for tubeless tires? I am looking at some Shinko 705 tires.
  • Abbotsford BC Canada
  • 1984 K100 0005895

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
Re: Tube Tires
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2018, 12:28:59 AM »
Most manufacturers stress using a tire with its appropriate rim style, but there are dozens—maybe even hundreds of anecdotal posts on several forums regarding the degrees of success that tube-type (TT) tires have when mounted on tubeless (TL) rims—classic K-bike rims included. What would a definitive answer look like to you, Grant?
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles
I wept because I had no radials until I met a man who had no splines.
https://tinyurl.com/RillRider

Offline Skunky

• ^ SuperNatural Motobricker
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2018, 04:11:54 AM »
I searched and can't find a definitive answer, can I use a tube type tire on my 1984 k100? Or are the rims designed only for tubeless tires? I am looking at some Shinko 705 tires.

can I use a tube type tire on my 1984 k100?  Some people have!

Or are the rims designed only for tubeless tires?  Yes they are but....Some people have!

I am looking at some Shinko 705 tires     Which are tubeless and will fit your rims without tubes

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/371549099240
  • Derby GB
  • BMW K100lt
Rebuild it and they will come..
90 K100lt
Triumph Thruxton 900
Honda CB400F

Offline johnny

• TrailBrakingThrottleWhacker
  • Whacking...n...Chopping Sliding...n...High Siding
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2018, 08:31:03 AM »
greetings...

they say the tubbe valve stem will be compromised where it attaches to the tubbe because it will not fit the valve stem hole in the wheel and will eventually blow doo to chafing which is generally a combination of friction and moisture as it pertains to the tubbed tubbless application...

j o
  • :johnny i parks my 96 eleven hundert rs motobrick in dodge county cheezconsin  :johnny

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2018, 08:54:32 AM »
I am looking at some Shinko 705 tires     Which are tubeless and will fit your rims without tubes
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/371549099240
The two in your link are but they aren't an optimal fit for an early K100 or its stock Y-spoke rims—especially the wide one. Other 705 sizes closer to K-bike stock diameter and width are TT.
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles
I wept because I had no radials until I met a man who had no splines.
https://tinyurl.com/RillRider

Offline Skunky

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2018, 10:13:04 AM »
The two in your link are but they aren't an optimal fit for an early K100 or its stock Y-spoke rims—especially the wide one. Other 705 sizes closer to K-bike stock diameter and width are TT.

I see
  • Derby GB
  • BMW K100lt
90 K100lt
Triumph Thruxton 900
Honda CB400F

Offline Skunky

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2018, 10:21:53 AM »
Always difficult getting square pegs in round holes.  :dunno
  • Derby GB
  • BMW K100lt
90 K100lt
Triumph Thruxton 900
Honda CB400F

Offline Grant

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2018, 11:01:03 AM »
Thank you for the replies everyone.

From what I can gather, the definitive answer is that my bike has rims that are designed to use tubeless tires, therefore I should be looking for tubeless tires. "some people have used tubes" is not very definitive, especially in the absence of very little disclosure on the consequences or final outcomes.

I want a beefier look for my tires on my scrambler build, as I have seen on numerous pictures of builds. There are several tire sizes / combinations that may work? I am still researching this. Any advice or positive experiences on this would be greatly appreciated. (Pictures would be nice).

My goal is to mount some tires that fit with the scrambler look and are safe to use, (if such a combination exists without some compromise).

• Abbotsford BC Canada
  • 1984 K100 0005895

Offline Skunky

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2018, 12:12:20 PM »
Thank you for the replies everyone.

From what I can gather, the definitive answer is that my bike has rims that are designed to use tubeless tires, therefore I should be looking for tubeless tires. "some people have used tubes" is not very definitive, especially in the absence of very little disclosure on the consequences or final outcomes.

I want a beefier look for my tires on my scrambler build, as I have seen on numerous pictures of builds. There are several tire sizes / combinations that may work? I am still researching this. Any advice or positive experiences on this would be greatly appreciated. (Pictures would be nice).

My goal is to mount some tires that fit with the scrambler look and are safe to use, (if such a combination exists without some compromise).

DJewen has put some Chunky Tyres on his recent build take a look and ask him.

http://www.motobrick.com/index.php/topic,10875.msg94227.html#msg94227

• Derby GB
  • BMW K100lt
90 K100lt
Triumph Thruxton 900
Honda CB400F

Tags: