Author Topic: "Magic Box" opinions?  (Read 4173 times)

Offline Lucky_Ted

• Mechanical Novice
  • Motobrick Curious
"Magic Box" opinions?
« on: July 19, 2018, 05:46:18 PM »
Just about done with my restoration on the '87 K75c, now i'm on to the part I've dreaded the most: replacing the gauge cluster. Part of what retired the bike in the first place was because the glass and tach/speedo got completely smashed while it was in storage. Looking at OEM clusters fills my wallet with fear, so I'm considering aftermarket gauges and the Marulabs Magic Box seems to take out all the guess work with trying to configure a new one. I'm not the picky type, so I figure the box and a cheap speedo would get the job done for less than the cost of an entire "bratbox". Opinions from anyone who's gotten one? or are there cheaper options that plug-in readily/have cheap adapters available?
  • Michigan
  • Broken down 87 k75c

Offline Skunky

• ^ SuperNatural Motobricker
Re: "Magic Box" opinions?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2018, 05:41:43 PM »
Worked for me. All of the speedo function work great.

* speedo3.jpg (32.97 kB . 432x576 - viewed 581 times)
  • Derby GB
  • BMW K100lt
Rebuild it and they will come..
90 K100lt
Triumph Thruxton 900
Honda CB400F

Offline Lucky_Ted

• Mechanical Novice
  • Motobrick Curious
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2018, 10:01:56 PM »
Looks a lot better than the stock cockpit. I imagine that its just a simple plug and play with the box?
  • Michigan
  • Broken down 87 k75c

Offline Skunky

• ^ SuperNatural Motobricker
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2018, 05:15:05 AM »
Looks a lot better than the stock cockpit. I imagine that its just a simple plug and play with the box?

Pretty much,

The rev counter needs an smoothing circuit, see this thread which tells you exactly how to do it. But everything else was plug and play. The cheap Chinese Speedo had a short lead so there was a lot of rewiring to do. I put my BEP under the tank but some people take them back to the electrical box. I added a lot of warning lights to give the full functions of the OEM clocks.

The speedo works great and I'm really pleased with it £20?. Those Chinese seven year olds put it together well  :hehehe, Time will tell how reliable it is but so far so good.  :2thumbup:
  • Derby GB
  • BMW K100lt
Rebuild it and they will come..
90 K100lt
Triumph Thruxton 900
Honda CB400F

Offline rbm

• ^ Quintessential Motobricker
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2018, 06:59:31 AM »
  • Regards, Robert
Toronto, Ontario

1987 K75 - Build Blog @http://k75retro.blogspot.ca/

Offline lilau3

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2018, 04:20:58 AM »
https://cafe4racer.eu/en/others/296-marulabs-bep-3.html

this worked fine for me. No issues with a 'T&T Multifunction-Instrument' from louis.eu
  • Australia - Melbourne
  • 1988 BMW K100 LT, Vespa GTS300

Tags: