Author Topic: Phoenix Rising - '93 K75RT Fire Recovery  (Read 45423 times)

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
Re: Phoenix Rising - '93 K75RT Fire Recovery
« Reply #125 on: January 26, 2019, 01:50:09 PM »
    •    The head mating surface should have been verified for flatness.
    •    The mating surfaces needed to be thoroughly clean at the time of coupling. Material from the head's being set on a table or floor could have been transferred to its seam from those surfaces then have affected sealing.
    •    A lightly lubricated screw will exert more force at a given torque value than a clean, dry screw—approximately 10–15% greater force.
    •    If close attention isn't paid during the procedure, the wrong torque scale can be used. If the Nm scale were used mistakenly, setting it at 33 would result in lubricated screws being tightened to approximately 26—28 ft. lbs. This can happen from distraction and/or from unfamiliarity with the tool.
    •    If the head has been dropped somewhere along the line, a crack in the head could have been created.
    •    The combination pump seals could be faulty.

A check with the oil pan removed while filling the radiator with coolant could help be helpful determining the source of leaks. The oil pan and the oil pickup screen should be cleaned because of this contamination regardless.

What seems to have been asserted by you is that approximately two ounces of coolant found their way from the coolant reservoir into the oil pan during eight days of idleness. That seems an unusual scenario given the relationship of the reservoir coolant to the radiator in a stone cold engine.

The tests for combustion gas in coolant, and leak down tests are relatively uncomplicated.
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles
I wept because I had no radials until I met a man who had no splines.
https://tinyurl.com/RillRider

Offline Laitch

• Administrator
« Reply #126 on: January 26, 2019, 01:52:11 PM »
. . . as head bolts should be checked before measuring valve clearance as a part of routine maintenance.
That isn't part of a typical valve clearance check on these engines.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline daveson

« Reply #127 on: January 26, 2019, 02:19:36 PM »
I'm still hopeful

A lot of these worrying signs could have a simple explanation. The exhaust smoke after start up doesn't worry me,  could be water in nooks a crannies from putting out the fire. Also the oil level on mine is higher seven days after a ride than one day,  probably those nooks and crannies again.

There is still good reason to hope that the bolts are simply loose.

I didn't want to mention it this early but after the good options are all exhausted I would ask how confident can we be that all the previous gasket material was removed from the block,  preventing the new gasket from sticking  (the head is clean)
  • Victoria, Australia
  • Current;'85 K100RT~100,000km; four other bricks. Past; 1500 Vulcan, V Star 650, KLX 250(dirt bike) TT250(dirt bike)

Offline Laitch

• Administrator
« Reply #128 on: January 26, 2019, 02:40:03 PM »
I'm still hopeful . . .
Who isn't hopeful? There is still investigation being pursued here.:bh:
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline daveson

« Reply #129 on: January 26, 2019, 03:04:26 PM »
I mean I hope the head doesn't have to come off. I'm curious if there are bubbles in the coolant,  if so,  is it only when the engine is cold.  Also after a ride can bubbles be heard while the engine is cooling. If there are bubbles it's a given that at least the gasket is leaking.

It's a shame but I have seen cars with leaking head gaskets go to the wreckers that may have been fixed with five minutes work by tightening the head bolts.
  • Victoria, Australia
  • Current;'85 K100RT~100,000km; four other bricks. Past; 1500 Vulcan, V Star 650, KLX 250(dirt bike) TT250(dirt bike)

Offline daveson

« Reply #130 on: January 26, 2019, 03:38:42 PM »
I should have said checking head bolts is a part of my routine maintenance.

It is not a part of routine maintenance.
  • Victoria, Australia

Offline Laitch

• Administrator
« Reply #131 on: January 26, 2019, 03:41:09 PM »
. . . I have seen cars with leaking head gaskets go to the wreckers that may have been fixed with five minutes work by tightening the head bolts.
Luke 4:24  :giggles
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline brichbk

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
« Reply #132 on: April 24, 2019, 08:04:07 PM »
So I found the solution to my coolant leaking into my oil problem.  I performed the leak down test and it didn't indicate a leak.  So I decided to check my water pump and found both seals were toast.  The oil seal came out in 3 pieces and the water seal was also in bad shape.  I replaced both seals and for the past 2 weeks, there haven't been any leaks inside or outside the bike.
  • Central Valley California
  • 1993 BMW K75RT // 1982 Honda Nighthawk 650sc

Tags: