Author Topic: Phoenix Rising - '93 K75RT Fire Recovery  (Read 45446 times)

Offline brichbk

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
Re: Phoenix Rising - '93 K75RT Fire Recovery
« Reply #100 on: December 14, 2018, 02:27:48 PM »
Looking for a little confirmation about how to install the timing chain and camshafts to make sure they line up properly.  I've been using my chlymers manual and the instructions on this page (http://www.bmw-k100rt-page.eu/manual/Engine/ReassemblingEngine_32.htm) to do the reinstalls but I'm just a little unsure.  Based on the video below it shows I have to install the cams with the #3 lobe pointed away from the valve and after all the journals are installed then I rotate the camshaft so that the sprocket cut out aligns properly with the head.  Then to install the chain I need to loosen the sprocket so that there is "wiggle room" to get the chain on.

start at 4:40

• Central Valley California
  • 1993 BMW K75RT // 1982 Honda Nighthawk 650sc

Offline brichbk

« Reply #101 on: December 15, 2018, 09:29:52 PM »
Had a very productive day.  Got my engine put back together, radiator and new fan installed and wired up, the throttle body installed, throttle and throttle advance cables adjusted, airbox installed, spark plugs and wires, new oil & coolant.  All that is left is to hook up the gas tank, battery and EFI, and to double check my clutch cable.  Those last few will have to wait until tomorrow.

Offline John Lang

• John Lang
« Reply #102 on: December 16, 2018, 07:11:51 AM »
As has been suggested, could the ring terminals on your mystery wires attach to the ground point on the central tube of the frame under the tank? See #9 on p.2 of 'Bert's Bible' as per the link in johnny's post: http://www.motobrick.com/index.php/topic,5067.msg31282.html#msg31282

You do not say where the invisible ends of the wires in your photo lead to. Were the ring terminals we can see attached to the battery to power a USB power plug or similar?
  • Ottawa, ON Canada
  • 1987 K75C

Offline brichbk

« Reply #103 on: December 17, 2018, 03:37:39 PM »
Good News!  The bike starts and runs.  I have compression on all three cylinders (1-145, 2-150, 3-145) before the valve job I only had 8psi on #3.  The throttle response is much better than it was before.  I have an air leak at the TB boots so I'm pulling the TB boot and reinstalling them with some gasket sealer to seal up the leak.  I had a heck of a time getting the TB clamps oriented correctly the first time so they didn't interfere with the throttle linkage.  But a quick search and this thread came up to help me out, http://www.motobrick.com/index.php/topic,10235.msg87216.html#msg87216.  I should be able to get the Throttle body put back together later today then I'll need to balance the TB and I will be good to go.

Offline The Mighty Gryphon

• Administrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
« Reply #104 on: December 17, 2018, 04:24:30 PM »
 :yippee: :yippee: :clap: :yippee:

:clap:

:clap:     :yippee:
  • In my garage in Marilla, NY
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:
'91 K100RS16V "Moby Brick Too"

Past:
'94 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
'92 K100RS16V "Moby Brick" (RIP, deceased in a vehicular assault)
'94 K75S Special Edition Dakar Yellow "Cheetos"
'89 K100RS Special Edition "Special Ed"

Offline brichbk

« Reply #105 on: December 18, 2018, 10:36:56 AM »
Reinstalled the throttle body and tested for air leaks, no air leaks!  So I took the bike for a 10 mile ride last night and it ran great.  I still have a couple of minor tweaks but for the most part, the bike is done.  Thank you to all of you who have helped me get this K bike back on the road.  Thank you for enduring my mistakes, questions, and doubts.  I've learned a lot and I appreciate each and every one of you.

I am excited to say, "the Phoenix has risen and taken flight".

Offline brichbk

« Reply #106 on: January 23, 2019, 04:30:31 PM »
I think my head gasket might be leaking coolant into my engine oil.  It's been about 200 miles since I got the bike running again.  Here's what I noticed and what I've done about it so far.

I first started noticing white smoke out of the exhaust when I first started the bike but after it was warmed up the smoke would stop.  I store the bike on the center stand in the garage overnight.

So, I started watching the oil level.  I didn't really notice anything until this week.  The bike has sat in the garage on the center stand for the past 8 days or so.  When I went out the other day I was looking the bike over and noticed that my oil sight glass showed that the oil level was above the 3/4 mark.  When I added oil I made sure it only went to halfway up the sight glass.  The week or two after the bike was running I checked the oil level and it was always about halfway up the sight glass.  I put Mobile1 20w50 in the engine after the cylinder head repair.

Today I decided to drain the oil to see what it looked like.  The oil has only been in the engine for about 200 miles.

It looks murky and kind of an olive greenish brown color.

I drained the coolant and it looks clean and it was pretty full.  Before I drained the coolant I opened the fill cap and could see coolant in the system.  I have also noticed that my coolant reservoir is at about !/4 full when it was just over half when I first added coolant after the repair work.

What do you think, does it look like coolant is getting in the engine oil?
I was reading up on some posts and one post suggested removing the oil pan, putting coolant in the radiator and seeing if it comes out through the crankcase.  This was to see if the engine block was cracked.  I don't think that is the case, but I'm willing to try this if it is necessary.
What other things should I check if the head gasket is leaking?

Note:  when I reinstalled the cylinder head I torqued everything to spec and did the two-stage torque that the manual calls for and cleaned the mating surfaces (but perhaps I didn't clean them good enough).

Offline daveson

« Reply #107 on: January 23, 2019, 09:29:57 PM »
Often recent work is the cause of a problem.
If your lucky it might be a simple problem.

Could be a leaky seal between oil and water pump.

Could be a loose head bolt. If any bolts are loose shortly after they have been tightened,  they are probably stretched and weakened, you can measure the length,  a stretched bolt may be just 0.2 mm longer. I have to admit I didn't read all posts in this problem.
  • Victoria, Australia
  • Current;'85 K100RT~100,000km; four other bricks. Past; 1500 Vulcan, V Star 650, KLX 250(dirt bike) TT250(dirt bike)

Offline daveson

« Reply #108 on: January 23, 2019, 11:40:04 PM »
After refilling coolant there can sometimes be a certain amount of self bleeding, lowering the coolant level,  but that would have happened before 200 miles. If the coolant level dropped at the same time as the oil level raised, it's not looking good.

If a head bolt is loose,  tighten it, if it becomes  loose again replace it, and the others related to that cam.
  • Victoria, Australia
  • Current;'85 K100RT~100,000km; four other bricks. Past; 1500 Vulcan, V Star 650, KLX 250(dirt bike) TT250(dirt bike)

Offline Martin

« Reply #109 on: January 24, 2019, 12:23:06 AM »
 Do a compression test and compare the cylinders. The condition and colour of the spark plug may also show signs.
Regards Martin
  • North Lakes Queensland Australia
  • 1992 K75s Hybrid, Lefaux, Vespa V twin.

Offline brichbk

« Reply #110 on: January 24, 2019, 02:34:39 PM »
Thanks Daveson and Martin for your replies.

Martin: I'll check the spark plugs tomorrow and report back.  After I got the bike put back together I did a compression check on all the cylinders and they read (1-145, 2-150, 3-145) after I put the engine back together.  After I put oil back in the engine I will do another compression test.

Daveson:  the short story of this long thread is that I had a burnt exhaust Valve in #3 cylinder and had a valve job done and had to reassemble the engine.  I installed a new head gasket when I did the reinstall.  I like the idea of rechecking the cylinder head bolts before removing the cylinder head to check the gasket (and possibly having to buy a new one).  I think I might have time to do that this weekend.

Offline daveson

« Reply #111 on: January 24, 2019, 03:14:22 PM »
Although not mentioned in clymer's it common that a new gasket compresses and needs to be re torqued after say 600 miles, yours may have done so earlier than I would have thought. It depends on the manufacturer of the gasket read their instructions as well as workshop manual. Some claim that they never need to be re torqued, but I ignore that because gaskets are not the only cause of gasket failure.
  • Victoria, Australia

Offline brichbk

« Reply #112 on: January 25, 2019, 02:57:04 PM »
I pulled the plugs and this is what they look like.  The electrodes have a green tiny to them.

Offline daveson

« Reply #113 on: January 25, 2019, 03:55:02 PM »
I have read all these posts now,  ignore my advice of which bolts to replace, l forgot these cams interfere.

I think it's a safe bet your coolant is green and your head gasket is leaking.

Did you follow all the instructions, e.g. waiting waiting 20 minutes before final torque.

Are the bolts head bolts? New? What was your final torque setting?

A good outcome is still possible.
  • Victoria, Australia

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
« Reply #114 on: January 25, 2019, 04:06:50 PM »
Do a leak down test. That might help isolate the location of the problem. Green indicates coolant leakage if your engine's coolant is green.

Watch this entire video. Interpreting the procedure's results begins around minute 4:10. Contact O'Reilly, AutoZone or NAPA to see if you can borrow the necessary tools with only a deposit and no charge.

• Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles
I wept because I had no radials until I met a man who had no splines.
https://tinyurl.com/RillRider

Offline brichbk

« Reply #115 on: January 25, 2019, 04:22:23 PM »
I have read all these posts now,  ignore my advice of which bolts to replace, l forgot these cams interfere.

I think it's a safe bet your coolant is green and your head gasket is leaking.

Did you follow all the instructions, e.g. waiting waiting 20 minutes before final torque.

Are the bolts head bolts? New? What was your final torque setting?

A good outcome is still possible.

I did do the 2 stage torque procedure waiting 20 minutes before the final torque. I reused my head bolts rather than buying new ones.

At this point checking for a loose bolt is a smaller step than having to remove the cylinder head. To check the head gasket. But I’ll do whatever is necessary.

Offline Martin

« Reply #116 on: January 25, 2019, 04:34:38 PM »
There is a test that checks for exhaust gases in the coolant. The test kit is pretty dear, however a good automotive workshop should be able to do the test for a price about $50.00 AU the last time I heard.
Regards Martin.
  • North Lakes Queensland Australia
  • 1992 K75s Hybrid, Lefaux, Vespa V twin.

Offline Laitch

• Administrator
« Reply #117 on: January 25, 2019, 06:00:26 PM »
At this point checking for a loose bolt is a smaller step than having to remove the cylinder head.
So is doing a leak down test or an exhaust test with loaned equipment from the outfits that were recommended.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline daveson

« Reply #118 on: January 25, 2019, 07:23:40 PM »
After seeing your spark plugs I'm now thinking (actually hoping) that most of the bolts are loose due to the gasket compressing.  That could explain why the smoking disappears when the engine warms up as the head expands from the heat,  closing the gap.

If you set your wrench to 33 ft. -lb. I would check them again at that,  but if none of them move that doesn't mean they are still at 33 because it takes more force to start the movement while already torqued if close to the final setting.  I would then try again at 36.

I have previously saved cars, with leaking head gaskets, from the wreckers by tightening from just 2 to 5 Nm over the maximum torque specified, but I almost never go beyond a workshop manual.
  • Victoria, Australia

Offline daveson

« Reply #119 on: January 25, 2019, 07:28:42 PM »
Hopefully you have the socket that allows you to torque the bolts without removing the cams,  which would make this check and or adjustment a quick thing to do.
  • Victoria, Australia

Offline brichbk

« Reply #120 on: January 25, 2019, 11:25:09 PM »
So is doing a leak down test or an exhaust test with loaned equipment from the outfits that were recommended.

Thanks for the video link. I will work on getting the loaned equipment this weekend.

Offline brichbk

« Reply #121 on: January 25, 2019, 11:29:34 PM »
Hopefully you have the socket that allows you to torque the bolts without removing the cams,  which would make this check and or adjustment a quick thing to do.

The torx socket I have the shaft is just a bit to short to use it without taking off the cams.

Offline Laitch

• Administrator
« Reply #122 on: January 26, 2019, 01:39:10 AM »
Were the screws clean and dry, or clean and lubricated at installation?
Were you fastening these screws using foot pound values or Newton meter values?
Is your torque wrench a click-type having a foot pounds scale on one side of its shaft and a Newton meters scale on its opposite side, or is it a beam-type that has both foot pound and Newton meters on its scale face?
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline brichbk

« Reply #123 on: January 26, 2019, 02:13:12 AM »
Were the screws clean and dry, or clean and lubricated at installation?
Were you fastening these screws using foot pound values or Newton meter values?
Is your torque wrench a click-type having a foot pounds scale on one side of its shaft and a Newton meters scale on its opposite side, or is is a beam-type that has both foot pound and Newton meters on its scale face?

The screws were clean and lubricated with oil when I installed them.

I used foot pound values.

I have a click type torque wrench with pounds on one side and newtons on the opposite side.

Offline daveson

« Reply #124 on: January 26, 2019, 01:35:13 PM »
If you want to keep the bike long term,  it would be worth considering the long socket as head bolts should be checked before measuring valve clearance as a part of routine maintenance.
  • Victoria, Australia

Tags: