Author Topic: Oil change filter gasket and washer.  (Read 376 times)

Offline steven1969

• Motobrick Curious
  • After Reading This Forum I Will Be Forever Whack
Oil change filter gasket and washer.
« on: June 26, 2018, 08:53:10 AM »
Hello everyone.

First I would like to know if the drain plug washer and oil filter gasket need to be replaced every oil change?
Where can I purchase these two items. I researched the internet and all I found were kits of oil, gasket and washers.
Where can I buy these separately??

Thanks
  • New Jersey USA
  • K75

Offline Scott_

• Forum Moderator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
Re: Oil change filter gasket and washer.
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2018, 09:28:15 AM »
1st off, no, you don't have to replace them every oil change--- so long as you can clean them so they don't leak when you re-install them.
Have you looked here: https://www.beemerboneyard.com/k7k1k1allyem.html
This is where I get my oil change supplies other than oil which I buy local.
  • My Garage
Ride safe.

1997 K1100LT 0302488
1995 K1100LT 0302044
Garmin StreetPilot 2820
Garmin Zumo 550
"One who does not ask questions is ashamed to learn" Danish proverb
Like Like x 1 View List

Online Laitch

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2018, 09:43:30 AM »
Please put your bike's year of manufacture along with its model in your Profile. Parts can vary in some years.

Go to a BMW dealer's parts fiche then look at the Oil Pan diagram in the Engine section of your model and year. This is a useful one. Shipping small parts is costly. If you have a local dealer, call them up.

Riders' opinions vary on which parts to replace at an oil change. As Scott_ has indicated, reuse of parts will work. Some riders don't drain the oil by removing the plug at all but just loosen the oil filter cover screws, let the oil drain then remove the cover to replace the filter. If you don't know when the last time the plug was removed, remove it and reinstall it with a new washer.

What do you mean by oil filter gasket? The oil filter gasket that contacts the filter mounting flange within the crankcase is usually attached to these bikes' oil filters when you buy them.

What you must observe when you remove the used filter is that its gasket is not stuck to the mounting flange in the crankcase. Remove it if it is. If you neglect to check and it remains, coupling your new filter and its gasket to it will likely cause your new filter to eventually loosen then oil pressure will drop.
  :grimreaper:

Get cup-style filter wrenches that will closely fit the filters you are removing and installing. If this bike's engine hasn't been serviced in years, removing the filter might be difficult.
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75T 68,000 miles
I wept because I had no radials until I met a man who had no splines.

Offline johnny

• TrailBrakingThrottleWhacker
  • Whacking...n...Chopping Sliding...n...High Siding
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2018, 10:36:57 AM »
greetings...

whats the part numbers... i might have them...

j o
  • i parks my 96 eleven hundert rs motobrick in dodge county cheezconsin...
:usa#1

Online Chaos

• Mars needs women!
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2018, 10:59:25 AM »
+1 on beemerboneyard.com.  You don't have to unscrew the drain plug for an oil change, drain it out through the oil filter cover since you're going to take that off anyway.  The O-ring on the cover lasts me 3 or 4 changes, when one side starts looking flat is when it needs to be replaced. 
  • sw ohio
1987 K75S    VIN 0231
Original owner, Original litter
200,000 miles (plus or minus) and 5 paint jobs
2012 Ural 2WD sidecar (BMW's bastard step child)
Like Like x 1 View List

Tags: