Author Topic: First K Bike for Me in Louisville, KY  (Read 7853 times)

Offline BryanD

• ^ Motobrick Curious
First K Bike for Me in Louisville, KY
« on: June 17, 2018, 08:18:06 PM »
Just wanted to introduce myself.  Bryan D. from Louisville, KY.  Bought my bike off the famous auction site from Raleigh, NC.  Round trip venture with no stops.  It was a long day and a half, for sure.

It's a 95 K1100rs in red/black.  I just fitted a Corbin seat (which I am just so-so happy with), rebuilt the front master, and will now have to re-seal the oil pan.  It's leaking.  I also just got some Spiegler braided lines also. It seems to be one thing after another so far.  I also noted the left fork seal is now leaking.  I guess 23 years and 35K miles have finally caught up. 

I hope I to get all of this ironed out before my first good road trip.   :falldown:
  • Louisville
  • 95 K1100rs

Offline Scott_

• Administrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
Re: First K Bike for Me in Louisville, KY
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2018, 10:18:46 PM »
Greetings and Welcome....
Before you delve into removing the oil sump bottom cover, clean the lower of the motor real good with a degreaser to verify where the leak is coming from.....
Not uncommon for oil(and/or including coolant) to leak from the water/oil pump weep hole(due to leaking pump shaft mechanical seal) located at the front of the motor and migrate to the rear coating everything on it's way there.....

At over 22+ years old, expect most everything rubber to be degrading. Brake lines, fuel lines, vacuum lines, clutch nut o-ring(will cause oil leak from clutch housing weep hole), o-rings where the injector manifolds bolt to the head, throttle body bushings, etc.......
Coolant hoses seem to hold up the best and last the longest.

Spray contact cleaner on any/all electrical connections.

Non-ethanol fuel with some good injector cleaner for a few tanks of fuel.

Once you get all these age related items examined/updated(if not already by the previous owner) it will be a rock solid ride. 35K isn't even broke in..... :2thumbup:
  • My Garage
1995 K1100LT 0302044
1997 R1100RT ZC62149
2017 FLHTK Ultra Limited
1997 K1100LT 0302488 (R.I.P.)
"One who does not ask questions is ashamed to learn" Danish proverb

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2018, 10:23:27 PM »
Welcome, Bryan.

Needing to reseal the oil pan seems unusual. Are you certain the leak is coming from its joint? Have you tried just re-torquing its fasteners? The fork seal replacement isn't too unusual, especially if the fork tubes aren't protected and the bike gets exposed to gritty roads.

Along with Scott_'s recommendations, replace the fuel filter right now for good measure if you can't verify that has been done recently. Change the transmission oil, rear drive oil, too. If it didn't come with a Rider's Manual, there is one in the Technical/Motobrick Manual section here to download.

Good luck with your bike. That amount of mileage is good for it. I wouldn't want to buy a used K-bike with much less. They work better if they've been ridden, but it helps if maintenance has been kept up on them too.
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles
I wept because I had no radials until I met a man who had no splines.
https://tinyurl.com/RillRider

Offline Barry in IN

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2018, 11:13:26 PM »
Welcome, from North of the border.
  • Indiana
  • 1992 K75S Lili Von Shtuppe
A pox on cafe “builders”

Offline BryanD

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2018, 11:17:50 PM »

Before you delve into removing the oil sump bottom cover, clean the lower of the motor real good with a degreaser to verify where the leak is coming from.....
Not uncommon for oil(and/or including coolant) to leak from the water/oil pump weep hole(due to leaking pump shaft mechanical seal) located at the front of the motor and migrate to the rear coating everything on it's way there.....

I believe you are 100% correct in your post. No degreaser is needed.  The bottom of this bike is spotless. I wasn't aware that this was a weep hole.  I had noted that this forward-most hole was the origin of the leak, but I thought it was (at first) missing a bolt there for the pan.  That is until I counted 13 bolts and 14 holes in an eBay ad.  Then I knew it was "just an extra hole and where the leak was coming from".  I now know (after your poking here) that it is a weep hole for the oil pump.  So, yeah, it looks like THAT is my problem now.  Thanks for stepping in and keeping me from further work and additional frustration when I figured out it didn't fix the issue! 

I really appreciate the heads up. 

I will take heed to the other tips posted below also, especially the fuel filter.  I am not sure of the spline situation and was looking over the daunting procedure to lube the splines.  Oh man.  That will require a lot of time and effort to check that out indeed! 
  • Louisville
  • 95 K1100rs

Offline Barry in IN

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2018, 11:46:18 PM »
I've never done it on a K1100, but checking and lubing the splines on my K75 was nothing. I did it while the oil was draining.

And since you will find it in your research and wonder where to get Wurth 3000 grease, here is where I got mine:
http://www.mgcycle.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1914
  • Indiana
  • 1992 K75S Lili Von Shtuppe
A pox on cafe “builders”

Offline BryanD

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2018, 03:40:26 AM »
Thanks again!   :2thumbup:
  • Louisville
  • 95 K1100rs

Offline Martin

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2018, 04:05:13 AM »
Welcome to the asylum from OZ.
Regards Martin.
  • North Lakes Queensland Australia
  • 1992 K75s Hybrid, Lefaux, Vespa V twin.

Offline Scott_

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2018, 07:36:17 AM »
On the 1100's the transmission splines are a harder material than on the older bikes so they hold up better and can go longer before needing lubricated.
However--- having said that, when you have the transmission out for the clutch nut o-ring(unless a previous owner has done it) replacement(not if-but when), it would make for a good time for spline lube on assembly. The most troubling issue I had with my 97LT, was trying to leave the ABS system connected and working around it. By the time I did my '95LT I determined it was way easier to remove the ABS modulator, have it out of the way and the work went way quicker even with having to fill and bleed the brakes.

Fork seals could be as simple as some bug guts caught in the seal lip, can be cleaned out and without fork dis-assembly. Fork gaiters are your friend when you do get the leak corrected. If you do end up replacing the seals, don't waste your time/money on cheap knock-offs, they won't work. Stick with BMW fork seals.

Plenty of information here, the search box is your friend.
  • My Garage
1995 K1100LT 0302044
1997 R1100RT ZC62149
2017 FLHTK Ultra Limited
1997 K1100LT 0302488 (R.I.P.)
"One who does not ask questions is ashamed to learn" Danish proverb

Offline BryanD

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2018, 07:54:11 AM »
Wow, thanks for that info, Scott.  I have learned so much just from doing my introduction.  I would like to wait till winter to do the splines, but the temps are so hot and muggy now, that I can't hardly stand being geared up in true, safe riding apparel.  Maybe I'd best do it all now and save my best rides for fall. 
  • Louisville
  • 95 K1100rs

Offline Motorhobo

• +20 years of K75
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2018, 10:36:53 AM »
That looks like the last Kbike you'll ever need.

So the next one you get will be your 2nd...
1994/1995 K75 ABS Frankenbike: original engine 136k miles, frame from Gary Weaver (RIP), 173k miles -- Current Odometer: 193k miles
1994 K75 since 2013, 76,000 mi (11k mine) w/California Sidecar Friendship II Sidecar & Black Lab 'Miss B'

Past: 1974 Honda 550/4 (first bike), 1994 K75 (sold), 1995 K75 ABS (parts bike), Sidecar Dog & Best Bud 'Bo' - RIP

Offline BryanD

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2018, 10:54:33 AM »
That looks like the last Kbike you'll ever need.

So the next one you get will be your 2nd...

Indeed!  I had heard that the K75 was smoother, but has less carrying capacity and grunt.  Besides, I really like the sound of an inline 4, even if it's laying down on the job.   :yes

This bike is near mint, but I am finding it's suffering somewhat from fatigued gaskets and seals.  None of the little niggly things that have gone wrong were apparent when I purchased it.  This leads me to believe that the 2nd owner wasn't as thorough as the 1st owner, (his "mentor" as he says) who kept it meticulously maintained.  I think the guy I got it from hardly rode it, but kept it put up in his nice garage.  He was a very short guy and as I watched him pull it out of the garage, I thought it was waaaay too tall for his short legs.  He had to sit on it off to one side and could not put two feet on the ground.  All of that said, he did indeed have it for 5 years. I just don't think he did much riding on it.  He had several other bikes.

As soon as I get all of the maintenance issues resolved, I should have a solid ride for many years as one poster above said. 

• Louisville
  • 95 K1100rs

Offline BryanD

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2018, 11:02:05 AM »
With the new Corbin seat (which fits horribly, BTW).  I'm not sure how much thought Corbin gave to the seat base, but it doesn't seem to sit right to me. It's a pretty poor fitment for an $800+ item.
  • Louisville
  • 95 K1100rs

Offline johnny

• TrailBrakingThrottleWhacker
  • Whacking...n...Chopping Sliding...n...High Siding
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2018, 11:21:39 AM »
greetings...

you proally needs different seat hardware for perfect fit...

that seat is $473 new from corbin... less the hardware of course...

the backrest is useless on the rs... nobody leans back on a rs... plus the iconic 22 wont fit with that on there...

thats a good looking moto... wish you maximum yeeeehaaaaa...

* IMG_7654.jpg (48.81 kB . 432x576 - viewed 501 times)

helibars... that front brake line looks stressed...

* helibars.png (83.35 kB . 762x367 - viewed 518 times)

j o
  • :johnny i parks my 96 eleven hundert rs motobrick in dodge county cheezconsin  :johnny

Offline BryanD

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2018, 11:55:06 AM »
greetings...

the backrest is useless on the rs... nobody leans back on a rs... plus the iconic 22 wont fit with that on there...

thats a good looking moto... wish you maximum yeeeehaaaaa...

j o

Hey, thanks for the insight, Johnny!  I did not know about the hinge issue with these seats.  I just went over to their site to see if this clarification was there.  Indeed it is, just as you put the link to. But unless you clik on the tab and read the note, you'd never know.  Wow.  I keep getting schooled more and more here.  Awesome!

I am a bit confused by what you wrote in red above.  Why would my wife (or my girlfriend, whichever is on the bike...   bmp) not appreciate the backrest?  I don't think she would ride without it as she has a bit of a back problem and needs the support. 

What is the "iconic 22" you speak of?  I'm ignorant to what that is.

Thanks for your help!! 
  • Louisville
  • 95 K1100rs

Offline johnny

• TrailBrakingThrottleWhacker
  • Whacking...n...Chopping Sliding...n...High Siding
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2018, 01:00:41 PM »
greetings...

the rs is lean forward... there is zero chance she will lean back because she will be leaning forrward... unless you ride it like a poserbricker...

may wanna try a sealmate on the fork seal...

this is the iconic 22... getts you one on there if you wanna be taken seriously...

* 20180618_120559.jpg (77.94 kB . 768x576 - viewed 529 times)

j o
  • :johnny i parks my 96 eleven hundert rs motobrick in dodge county cheezconsin  :johnny

Offline The Mighty Gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2018, 01:30:14 PM »
Welcome!  Start looking for your iconic 22liter top case on eBay.  They are getting harder to find every day.  It is the only top case that doesn't look out of place on a classic K bike.

Another rubber bit is the bushing in the muffler mount behind the left footpeg plate.  It is said that when it wears out the exhaust headers will crack where they enter the collector on the muffler.  Also, it's been recommended to put a hose clamp around the four exhaust pipes a few inches ahead of the collector to dampen the vibrations that cause the pipes to crack.

The 16 valve engine is a sweetheart.  My 16 valve K100's both run just as smooth as my K75's.  The difference is that they just make gobs of extra torque.  At 35K you're almost through the break-in period.
  • In my garage in Marilla, NY
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:
'91 K100RS16V "Moby Brick Too"

Past:
'94 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
'92 K100RS16V "Moby Brick" (RIP, deceased in a vehicular assault)
'94 K75S Special Edition Dakar Yellow "Cheetos"
'89 K100RS Special Edition "Special Ed"

Offline BryanD

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2018, 09:27:13 PM »
The wisdom is oozing from this forum.  Amazing!  Thank you guys for helping a newbie along.  I have a lot to digest! :lets-eat:
  • Louisville
  • 95 K1100rs

Offline rbm

« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2018, 07:52:57 AM »
The iconic 22 won't fit unless he gets and fits the mounting rack as well.

• Regards, Robert
Toronto, Ontario

1987 K75 - Build Blog @http://k75retro.blogspot.ca/

Offline BryanD

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2018, 04:05:13 PM »
Yes, indeed.  Duly noted Robert!

Thank you!

Right now I really need to get the old gal in roadworthy shape.  Can anyone tell me a good parts source?

Thanks.
  • Louisville
  • 95 K1100rs

Offline The Mighty Gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2018, 06:46:15 PM »
I have gotten almost all my parts for three bikes on eBay and online from MaxBMW.  There are a ton of good used parts out there.  Where you can't get what you need on the used market, there is Max and a number of other online sellers as well. 

If there is a dealer in your area, you can use them in place of MaxBMW.  No dealers within 75 miles of my location.
  • In my garage in Marilla, NY
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:
'91 K100RS16V "Moby Brick Too"

Past:
'94 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
'92 K100RS16V "Moby Brick" (RIP, deceased in a vehicular assault)
'94 K75S Special Edition Dakar Yellow "Cheetos"
'89 K100RS Special Edition "Special Ed"

Offline BryanD

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2018, 07:40:50 PM »
Thanks for the info.  I found the list in the forum after posting this.  I meant to come back and update my post, but as usual, I forgot. 

I have a dealer (pronounced "stealer") here in Louisville.  They charge waaaay more than most places.  Nice folks, but they hand out K-Y Jelly at each purchase.  You need it.
  • Louisville
  • 95 K1100rs

Offline BryanD

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2018, 03:14:20 PM »
greetings...

j o

I got the seat hinges from MAX, ate the M&M's they sent along with the order.  About $37 plus a bit to ship.  The seat fits nicely now.  You are a saint johnny.  Thanks. 

I also got the parts to fix the weeping oil pump also.  About a buck o' 8 for the parts.  Enjoyed another bag of M&M's on that one, but still haven't done the work yet.  That little bit of work will take a day or so. 

Thanks to everyone who chimed in.  The group already saved my hide quite a bit!

• Louisville
  • 95 K1100rs

Offline BryanD

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2018, 05:20:54 PM »

OK, OK....

I gets one today.  Well actually the entire shooting match. 

The elusive iconic 22 is for another day.... 

• Louisville
  • 95 K1100rs

Tags: