Author Topic: In San Diego, interested in buying k bike, but never ridden one...  (Read 4835 times)

Offline Bee Em Dubbs

• Motobrick Curious
So I'm very interested in buying a k bike in the near future. The problem is I've never ridden one and you can't exactly go to a dealer and test one out. The bike's I've seen that I'm interested in are all not local and I'd probably pay shipping. Did you guys blindly buy hoping you'd like the ride/feel, or did you test ride somewhere somehow?
  • San Diego
  • None yet

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
Re: In San Diego, interested in buying k bike, but never ridden one...
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2018, 07:37:27 PM »
You've never ridden a K-bike, or you have never ridden a motorcycle? How's your upper body strength and what is the length of your inseam? Buying blindly depends on luck. Feeling lucky? Find a six-shot revolver, load it with just one cartridge, spin the cylinder, close it, then point the barrel at something you'd hate to ruin and press the trigger. No loud bang? You're one step closer to blindly buying a bike that might eat through all your spare time and cash. :giggles
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles
I wept because I had no radials until I met a man who had no splines.
https://tinyurl.com/RillRider

Offline Skunky

• ^ SuperNatural Motobricker
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2018, 08:14:38 PM »
Hi

Buy this one in Texas and ride it home. By the time you get to El Paso you will know if you made a mistake.  :eek:

http://www.motobrick.com/index.php/topic,11247.0.html
  • Derby GB
  • BMW K100lt
Rebuild it and they will come..
90 K100lt
Triumph Thruxton 900
Honda CB400F

Offline Skunky

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2018, 08:21:20 PM »
Actually, This Guys in San Diego, Maybe you should meet up and see one close up.

http://www.motobrick.com/index.php/topic,11277.0.html?PHPSESSID=3ec073e96f28a6422a4d2b94d41456d0
  • Derby GB
  • BMW K100lt
Rebuild it and they will come..
90 K100lt
Triumph Thruxton 900
Honda CB400F

Offline Bee Em Dubbs

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2018, 08:33:39 PM »
You've never ridden a K-bike, or you have never ridden a motorcycle? How's your upper body strength and what is the length of your inseam? Buying blindly depends on luck. Feeling lucky? Find a six-shot revolver, load it with just one cartridge, spin the cylinder, close it, then point the barrel at something you'd hate to ruin and press the trigger. No loud bang? You're one step closer to blindly buying a bike that might eat through all your spare time and cash. :giggles

Never ridden a k bike, have ridden motorcycles. I'd have to measure my inseam but I'm 6'2" so I assume I'm fine. Workout regularly so my strength is no issue.
Hmm, I've always read about how reliable these are. But I guess it'll always be somewhat of a gamega since sellers won't always disclose any issues the bike may be hiding.
  • San Diego
  • None yet

Offline Chaos

• Administrator
  • Mars needs women!
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2018, 09:54:42 PM »
They are reliable but sitting for years or lack of maintenance can rack up huge repair bills.  And the newest ones are 20+ years old.  Look for one that's ridden regularly and if possible a service history.  Also, they're heavy, slow and shift klunky compared to 750-1000cc sport bikes.  K's aren't exceptional at anything but competent at many things, and they're easy to work on.
  • sw ohio
1987 K75S    VIN 0231
Original owner, Original litter
200,000 miles (plus or minus) and 5 paint jobs
sold 6/23
2023 Ural 2WD sidecar (BMW's bastard step child)

Offline milq

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2018, 11:05:14 AM »
I’m 6’2”, 240 lbs and my knees take a beating by the fairing of my ‘85 K100RT when I use the Corbin seat. With the factory seat my knees get relief, but nothing else does!

Other models without the full fairing...beats me, this is the only one I’ve ridden.

Rubber bits tend to dry out and crack, which can cause stumbling/off idle hesitation first in my limited experience. Buying one sight unseen would be a dodgy proposition for me, I am friends with the previous owner and know how mine was cared for. I’d at least want to inspect and preferably ride any I was buying unless it was my intent to strip it down and build it back up.

Look at me, acting like I’m an old hand at K-bikes!
  • Southern IL
  • 1988 K75S

Offline The Mighty Gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2018, 09:48:50 AM »
I would think there are a good number of K bikes in southern Cali. 

I did a fly and ride when I bought my K75S.  Rode it 2000 miles home with no issues.  I'm 6'1" and have no problem with any of my bikes, but the Russell seat on my k75RT does put me on tip toes at stops.  A K75S or K100RS should be no problem for you.
If you are concerned about getting a bike home, there is always the AAA RV Gold option.  Buy the bike within 200 miles and ride it home.  If you have any problems, call AAA and they will flat bed it the rest of the way home for you for free. 
  • In my garage in Marilla, NY
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:
'91 K100RS16V "Moby Brick Too"

Past:
'94 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
'92 K100RS16V "Moby Brick" (RIP, deceased in a vehicular assault)
'94 K75S Special Edition Dakar Yellow "Cheetos"
'89 K100RS Special Edition "Special Ed"

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2018, 04:17:05 PM »
Hmm, I've always read about how reliable these are.
If you've done any reading here, you've read how difficult it is to get a neglected K-bike running reliably. Once a neglected bike is restored correctly, it's a smooth and reliable ride. Getting it that way takes patience and funds. Many former owners who are selling these bike aren't hiding anything; they just don't know anything about maintenance—a lot like your average car owner.
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles
I wept because I had no radials until I met a man who had no splines.
https://tinyurl.com/RillRider

Offline kris

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2018, 08:00:57 AM »
I bought my blindly...sort of. I went to see it, it wasn't running and I rolled the dice. I paid $1,400 Cdn for an '86 100RT with 60,000 miles on the clock. She is originally from Dallas and ended up back in her owner's hometown of Trenton, Ontario. Nine years out of service. By the time I was done stripping her down and replacing things that needed replacing (or should be replaced) I was up to around $3,000 Cdn. Don't regret a penny of it. I learned a ton, am very grateful for the information and advice offered by these fine and knowledgeable men and women (Inge!) and have ended up with a bike I would be hard-pressed to part with. I wanted to get her naked (can you say that here??) but was so impressed with her fairing, in all but hot weather, that I kept her stock. Bought a naked Guzzi for the warm days!!
If you've ridden a bunch of different bikes you know how different they can be. They all do something better than another brand/ model and therein lies the rationale for collecting a bunch of different bikes. People always ask "which one do you like best?" (Beemer, Kawi or Guzzi). I don't like any one of them "best". They are all different and I love them all!! Last thing - I take a lot of stock in the owner. What kind of person am I dealing with? If he/ she is a bike lover, honest and has a reasonable answer to anything I am asking I go with it. All 3 of mine were kijiji purchases....all 3 bought from good, honest folks. All 3 are gems!
Sorry....one final comment. You are buying a piece of motorcycle history. Do your research and you will be impressed with the origins and rationale behind the development of this bike and with the technological advancements of this machine for its day. BMW is a storied brand with an excellent pedigree. If that ain't enough to get you involved go buy a Harley!!!

Good luck!
  • In The Hammer!! Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
  • 1986 K100RT (Heinz) 2004 Kawasaki Concours (Eddy) 2007 Moto Guzzi Breva 1100 (Linda) Previous: 1968 Honda CD175 1973 Kawasaki S2350 1975 Honda CB550K
"I got bike fever bad!!"

Tags: