Author Topic: hello! from a new K75 owner - SAN DIEGO  (Read 7936 times)

Offline arthurtryst

• Motobrick Curious
hello! from a new K75 owner - SAN DIEGO
« on: June 04, 2018, 07:09:10 PM »
Hey Everyone!

I am a new K75 owner in the San Diego,CA area. I was wondering if there are any other K owners in the area and if they have a mechanic they recommend for maintenance etc. This is also my first bike so I am not yet versed in being able to do some of the little things myself and was hoping to learn a few things from a mechanic as well as from here and other forums.
Excited i finally got my K Bike and want to make sure I treat it right!

• San Diego
  • 1987 K75C

Offline D.Bachtel

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
Re: hello! from a new K75 owner - SAN DIEGO
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2018, 07:17:54 PM »
Welcome! Good choice of model year. Show us a photo!

Don in Nipomo
  • Nipomo
  • BSA, Zundapp, Husqvarna, Greeves, Triumph...and a 1987 K75C

Offline stokester

• ^ SuperNatural Motobricker
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2018, 07:43:36 PM »
Welcome.

You'll find this forum a valuable source of information on maintenance, troubleshooting, recommendations etc...  just be sure to do a search, there is a good chance it has been addressed more than once.

Learning to do basic maintenance will save you a lot of money.  Things like changing oil and coolant, lubing the splines and replacing the fuel filter are all basic procedures that can easily be learned.

Ride safe.   :riding:
  • Yorktown Virginia
  • '94 K75S Dakar Yellow - '93 K75S Seiden Blau - '91 R100RT Bermuda Blue- '78 R100S Smoke Red

Offline The Mighty Gryphon

• Administrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2018, 07:56:21 PM »
Welcome!  Many of us do our own work.  It makes owning one of these great machines very economical.  Someone here has done nearly every job that these bikes may need and can give good tips.  Add to that the fact that these bikes are extremely reliable, are easy to work on, and don't require much in the way of tools and you have a good combination for doing your own work.

• In my garage in Marilla, NY
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:
'91 K100RS16V "Moby Brick Too"

Past:
'94 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
'92 K100RS16V "Moby Brick" (RIP, deceased in a vehicular assault)
'94 K75S Special Edition Dakar Yellow "Cheetos"
'89 K100RS Special Edition "Special Ed"

Offline johnny

• TrailBrakingThrottleWhacker
  • Whacking...n...Chopping Sliding...n...High Siding
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2018, 07:56:58 PM »
greetings...

the best motobrick wrench in socal is lior the tior man...

http://liorsmotoride.com

j o
  • :johnny i parks my 96 eleven hundert rs motobrick in dodge county cheezconsin  :johnny

Offline arthurtryst

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2018, 08:16:42 PM »
Welcome! Good choice of model year. Show us a photo!

Don in Nipomo

• San Diego
  • 1987 K75C

Offline D.Bachtel

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2018, 08:33:47 PM »
 :2thumbup:
  • Nipomo
  • BSA, Zundapp, Husqvarna, Greeves, Triumph...and a 1987 K75C

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2018, 10:04:44 PM »
. . . i finally got my K Bike and want to make sure I treat it right!
Welcome. It seems that you bike's fuel cap has been installed 180º out of rotation. That can cause water to infiltrate the tank. It also indicates a closer look at all systems would be in order. Let's see a large image. Also, post some photos of the front rear and side profiles, tell us how many miles are on the odometer and the age of the tires.

Look in the Repair Guidance section for your basic first steps at maintenance—besides all that stuff I wrote about the K100 you were considering. There will always be somebody here to hold your hand though—if you're into that sort of thing.

Is this the first motorcycle you have ever ridden?
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles
I wept because I had no radials until I met a man who had no splines.
https://tinyurl.com/RillRider

Offline arthurtryst

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2018, 11:16:40 PM »
Welcome. It seems that you bike's fuel cap has been installed 180º out of rotation. That can cause water to infiltrate the tank. It also indicates a closer look at all systems would be in order. Let's see a large image. Also, post some photos of the front rear and side profiles, tell us how many miles are on the odometer and the age of the tires.

Look in the Repair Guidance section for your basic first steps at maintenance—besides all that stuff I wrote about the K100 you were considering. There will always be somebody here to hold your hand though—if you're into that sort of thing.

Is this the first motorcycle you have ever ridden?

DANM! I'll get on posting more photos of the bike. Most of the work on the bike was done by the previous two owners. Thank for help on my previous post about the k100 also! appreciate it!

This would be the 3rd bike I've ever ridden. The csmp class bike, my gf's suzuki boulevard, and this...so pretty much yea first bike?
  • San Diego
  • 1987 K75C

Offline arthurtryst

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2018, 07:49:40 PM »
Hey All,

I took some time to take some photos. Laitch mentioned the fuel cap out of rotation and suggested I take some pics to share. So here they come.
To preface there are some things I would like to do or take care of on my bike this year (hopefully).
-I would like to get it serviced by a dealer prior to starting to take things on on my own.
-And have them bleed the brakes and ensure everything is up to snuff..I haven't checked the brake fluid reservoir prior to typing this but right now I am too lazy to get up heh..
-Recently the grips on the left side just slipped off and want to take care of this immediately so I'm going to buy some this week and install them onto the bike..any tips or advice on that would be greatly appreciated  :2thumbup:
- I really would like a new instrument cluster and new headlight(not a refurb'd stock one). Since the model I have has the tach and speedo part of the headlight. I really like seeing the needle so a traditional tach and speedo would be nice but everything I have come across are so small, i'd prefer something over 2" in diameter. And i'd also like it to be able to show fuel levels, active signals, and all the other functions on the existing instrument cluster. I'm open to digital ones as well but some of them seem to "aggressive" or too awkward looking? but that could just be me. This is the primary 'aesthetic' mod I would like to have done once I know the bike is in good health
-Oh I also really want to check and make sure the gas tank doesnt contain any rust inside. the gas cap being incorrectly positioned already has me worried and as you can see from the photos appears to have some substantial wear.

Anyways here are photos and thank you in advance for any comments and feedback on the above!

• San Diego
  • 1987 K75C

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2018, 09:35:35 PM »

. . . And have them bleed the brakes and ensure everything is up to snuff..I haven't checked the brake fluid reservoir prior to typing this but right now I am too lazy to get up heh..
-Recently the grips on the left side just slipped off and want to take care of this immediately so I'm going to buy some this week and install them onto the bike..any tips or advice on that would be greatly appreciated.
- I really would like a new instrument cluster and new headlight(not a refurb'd stock one).
Thanks for all the photos. Well done! How many miles on the odometer? I couldn't read it. You write that it is your first bike. How much motorcycle riding experience do you have? Have you taken a basic rider's course?

Here's some of my observations.
  • I am confident that once you get your first bill from a dealer who brings everything up to snuff, your laziness will miraculously disappear. :giggles
  • Grips? Pro Grip 699 is a popular model, closed or open ends available.
  • Installing aftermarket instruments can get complicated. Hold off until you have the bike thoroughly roadworthy. That will include inspection of the transmission input splines and the final drive input splines.
  • There's a date code on the tires. How old are they?
  • Get a four-dollar bulb siphon from the hardware store, and a screwdriver. Remove the fuel cap assembly gently, siphon the fuel into a fuel container, take some photos of what you see in there then post them here. If what you see is a shiny tank with no debris in it, turn the cap 180º, install it with its hinge rearward then move on. Take a nap!
  • Be patient.
Almost everything that has ever happened to a K-bike has been discussed and treated here multiple times. Go to the Repair Guidance section for information. Learn to search the site effectively. Download a manual from here. Download a riders manual. Here's another good source for information, as is the K100-forum.

Good luck! This could be a great ride.
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles
I wept because I had no radials until I met a man who had no splines.
https://tinyurl.com/RillRider

Offline Martin

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2018, 10:30:03 PM »
I normally use my wife's hairspray to install the grips. It initially acts as a lubricant and then as an adhesive as it dries. It is also easy to remove them down the track without having to cope with glue residue.
Regards Martin.
  • North Lakes Queensland Australia
  • 1992 K75s Hybrid, Lefaux, Vespa V twin.

Offline arthurtryst

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2018, 11:10:59 PM »
Thanks Laitch!

Odo reads 55753

With regard to my experience I've been riding for less than 2 months. I have taken the basic rider course
I'm definitely not excited for  that first service trip haha

I am low on brake fluid and already bought the DOT4 BMW. Is it going to be ok to add the fluid so long the reservoir  isn't gunky.
  • San Diego
  • 1987 K75C

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2018, 09:48:15 AM »
I don't know how much you paid for your bike, but if you can find a dealer who will service your bike(many won't work on older models, and their techs aren't trained for them) you will find that the service will cost almost as much as you paid for the bike.

If you have even a modicum of mechanical experience and a modest investment in tools you should be able to do the work your bike needs with the help of the inmates here.  You will have a better understanding of your bike, a LOT more cash in your pocket, and probably a better level of work than if a dealer tech rushed through the job.

As far as your brake fluid, no problem topping it up, but I would plan on flushing and bleeding it as soon as possible.  Brake parts are stupid expensive on these machines.  A flush only requires a couple hand tools(Phillips screwdriver and an 11mm wrench, 2 feet of vinyl hose and a gallon milk jug) and a bottle of D.O.T. 4 from the auto parts store.  You can do it with a helper in less than a half hour. 
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:

Past:

Offline arthurtryst

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2018, 11:42:21 AM »
I don't know how much you paid for your bike, but if you can find a dealer who will service your bike(many won't work on older models, and their techs aren't trained for them) you will find that the service will cost almost as much as you paid for the bike.

If you have even a modicum of mechanical experience and a modest investment in tools you should be able to do the work your bike needs with the help of the inmates here.  You will have a better understanding of your bike, a LOT more cash in your pocket, and probably a better level of work than if a dealer tech rushed through the job.

As far as your brake fluid, no problem topping it up, but I would plan on flushing and bleeding it as soon as possible.  Brake parts are stupid expensive on these machines.  A flush only requires a couple hand tools(Phillips screwdriver and an 11mm wrench, 2 feet of vinyl hose and a gallon milk jug) and a bottle of D.O.T. 4 from the auto parts store.  You can do it with a helper in less than a half hour.

Ooo thanks The Mighty Gryphon. I paid 3000 for the bike. I would like to be able to do the work on my own. I'll have to check the repair guidance page to make a list of things to check/do to make sure everything is up to snuff. I may just go ahead and bleed it myself then. Thanks!
  • San Diego
  • 1987 K75C

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2018, 12:09:12 PM »
Besides the information here and other places on the web, Harbor Freight is your friend. 

The bike's tool kit has just about all the tools you need to do nearly all the required maintenance.  Sign up for Harbor Freight eMails and get their weekly coupons and sale notices.  Among the items I use frequently are ball end Allen wrenches, metric combination wrenches, 1/4" drive torque wrench, a set of 1/4" drive metric sockets and Allen wrenches, and a combination Phillips/flat blade screwdriver.  If you watch for their sales, you shouldn't have to spend much over $50 for all this stuff.

A can of copper anti-seize, some spline lube, and Deoxit will get you started for chemicals.  Basically, you can set yourself up to do your own work for less than what a dealer will hit you for an oil change.
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:

Past:

Offline natalena

« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2018, 09:21:11 AM »
Welcome! When you get some saddle time in to be comfortable on the brick, the ride out to Anza-Borrego via Julian is awesome. SR67 is fun once you get on the "old 67" at Ramona. CHP is usually hanging out by Mesa Grande Rd along the route, so beware. Cheers
  • MST
  • 1987 K75s #0919, '05 Sportster 1200C
We don't need no stinkin' moly.

Offline natalena

« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2018, 12:09:53 PM »
I would like to be able to do the work on my own. I'll have to check the repair guidance page to make a list of things to check/do to make sure everything is up to snuff.

Working on the K is fairly easy and straight forward thanks to the Germanic penchant for logic and engineering prowess. Don't be too afraid of "messing things up", as it probably won't happen if you aren't forcing parts around (fork drain screw will strip easily though). I started by just changing fluids which led to pulling wheels and changing tires/brakes. The final drive and splines were inches away, so what the heck, 4 bolts later it's done. The tank/airbox/throttles can be a maze, so plan on plenty of sit-back and read the instructables here and the work manual. Good Luck, Harbor Freight is on Miramar Rd near the north gate. Oh, a can of GOOP is worth it's weight in spline lube for clean-ups.
* your pics 2 and 3 have you parked right in the middle of the fork in the road. ;)
  • MST
  • 1987 K75s #0919, '05 Sportster 1200C
We don't need no stinkin' moly.

Tags: