Author Topic: Coil Pack Wiring  (Read 3275 times)

Offline lilau3

• ^ Motobrick Curious
Coil Pack Wiring
« on: May 18, 2018, 04:26:42 AM »
Do I need the brown earth wires connected to anything? The coil packs are already earthed by the chunky wires going straight to the earth bolt in the transmission.  The part of the coils with the threads to mount the plastic cover all seem to be earthed.  I’m leaving the cover off for the minimal look.

I can’t remember but maybe those brown wires were for the auxiliary 12v output?

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Australia - Melbourne
  • 1988 BMW K100 LT, Vespa GTS300

Offline Inge K.

• ^ Quintessential Motobricker
Re: Coil Pack Wiring
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2018, 05:34:13 AM »
Do I need the brown earth wires connected to anything? The coil packs are already earthed by the chunky wires going straight to the earth bolt in the transmission. 

The earth wires that is connected to the coils is non OEM, because of this the OEM earth wires is disconnected.
  • Norway

Offline lilau3

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2018, 06:04:30 AM »
The earth wires that is connected to the coils is non OEM, because of this the OEM earth wires is disconnected.

That would make sense. So I could unplug the silver braided wires and put the brown ones back on, that would clean things up. Although I’m assuming the previous owner did this to better earth the coil packs for some reason..... no problem, I’ll try both ways and check for any issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Australia - Melbourne
  • 1988 BMW K100 LT, Vespa GTS300

Offline rbm

• ^ Quintessential Motobricker
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2018, 01:33:44 PM »
You don't need beefy grounding like that braid.  The ground is a safety ground; no current flows through it normally.  Therefore, either the OEM grounds or the aftermarket braid works.
  • Regards, Robert
Toronto, Ontario

1987 K75 - Build Blog @http://k75retro.blogspot.ca/

Tags: