Author Topic: 1985 K100 mirror issue  (Read 4076 times)

Offline Ironwrx

• ^ Motobrick Curious
  • I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken.
1985 K100 mirror issue
« on: May 14, 2018, 12:46:20 PM »
Hi. I'm getting closer to getting my K100 on the road. I have an issue with the mirrors. Apparently the last owner had the bike parked somewhere and the wind blew it over. the right side mirror glass got cracked, but is still serviceable, however the left mirror didn't fare so well. The glass is fine, but there's no keeping it in position. it flops all over the place!!  The last owner cobbed it tighter with a bit of teflon pipe tape to tighten it up (unsuccessfully)  So... is there any way to tighten up the mirror adjustment, and is there a method for glass replacement, or am I looking at having to buy new/used mirrors?
  • Westminster West
  • 1985 K100 83 Type 0511
- Jon

Offline ^Adrninistrator

• Acute Cinnabar Toxicity
  • ^ Motobrick Curious
  • Brunhilda Baywerische-Motosenwerken
Re: 1985 K100 mirror issue
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2018, 01:29:31 PM »
I typed mirrors in the search box and got many hits.

3rd thread down will answer your question.

Start using the search box.  Do you understand?

• New Idria California
  • 1997 K 1150 RS SE Dakar Yellow Code 267
If You Are Looking For Trouble. I'm The Woman To See.
If You Are Looking For Satisfaction.  Email Me.  Satisfaction Guaranteed.
brunhilda.baywerische-motosenwerken@motobrick.com

Offline Ironwrx

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2018, 01:36:58 PM »
Hi  I do understand. Thank you. (I did try using the search box, but didn't see what I was after there.) Sorry, I will try harder in the future.
  • Westminster West
  • 1985 K100 83 Type 0511
- Jon

Offline Ironwrx

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2018, 02:05:49 PM »

I typed mirrors in the search box and got many hits.

3rd thread down will answer your question.

Start using the search box.  Do you understand?

Hi. I Did try the third thread as you suggested, but that seems to talk about K11 RS mirrors, and doesn't seem to answer my question. Excuse my ignorance, but is this the one you were referring to?
  • Westminster West
  • 1985 K100 83 Type 0511
- Jon

Offline Martin

• ^ Quintessential Motobricker
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2018, 03:58:24 PM »
With the glass removed there is a nut that can be tightened. Alternatively smear black silicone on the ball joint and rotate the mirror head while pushing more silicone into the ball joint. Then set up the mirrors in the required position and wipe of the excess silicone. I did this on my first mirrors which were non OEM and it worked for about three years until I found an OEM set. You can also use super glue but that comes with inherent problems, so you are better sticking to silicone.  :dunno
Regards Martin.
  • North Lakes Queensland Australia
  • 1992 K75s Hybrid, Lefaux, Vespa V twin.

Offline Ironwrx

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2018, 04:46:27 PM »
With the glass removed there is a nut that can be tightened. Alternatively smear black silicone on the ball joint and rotate the mirror head while pushing more silicone into the ball joint. Then set up the mirrors in the required position and wipe of the excess silicone. I did this on my first mirrors which were non OEM and it worked for about three years until I found an OEM set. You can also use super glue but that comes with inherent problems, so you are better sticking to silicone.  :dunno
Regards Martin.
Hi. Thx Martin. Is there a way of removing the glass in this type mirror without breaking it? Maybe until the budget allows, I could use aftermarket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Westminster West
  • 1985 K100 83 Type 0511
- Jon

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2018, 05:07:31 PM »
Maybe until the budget allows, I could use aftermarket.
Using j o's recommended mirror and then jo's or Imiklosy's method of mounting them is the way to go. Ken Sean mirrors are sold at many online sites.
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles
I wept because I had no radials until I met a man who had no splines.

Offline Martin

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2018, 05:32:27 PM »
Which way the wind is blowing at the time of glass removal, seems to be one of the key ingredients on removal success. That and the alignment of the stars. The age of the adhesive also comes into it as well as exposure to the elements. Go slow and easy, or revert to new mirrors or silicone.
Regards Martin.
  • North Lakes Queensland Australia
  • 1992 K75s Hybrid, Lefaux, Vespa V twin.

Offline Ironwrx

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2018, 05:03:47 PM »
Which way the wind is blowing at the time of glass removal, seems to be one of the key ingredients on removal success. That and the alignment of the stars. The age of the adhesive also comes into it as well as exposure to the elements. Go slow and easy, or revert to new mirrors or silicone.
Regards Martin.
I think Ken Sean is calling my name. It sounds like a better option and given the condition of both mirrors, I think it’s time to get new! Thanks to all for the info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Westminster West
  • 1985 K100 83 Type 0511
- Jon

Tags: