Author Topic: Recommended K75 tire for Dalton Highway  (Read 1467 times)

Offline sci

• Motobrick Curious
Recommended K75 tire for Dalton Highway
« on: April 30, 2018, 03:10:37 PM »
Greetings guys,
I'm leaving on a 8K roundtrip to Alaska including going up the haul road to Prudhoe Bay. I need a tire that will get me 8k and work on a gravel road with sharp rocks. My question is, most of the recommendations and my top 5 choices for a 60/40ish tire don't come in my sizing. I have a '93 K75 and need a 100/90-18 front and 130/90-17 rear. I can get Shinko 712, Avon AM26 or Dunlap 404 in my size but they are not exactly a 80/20 (20% off road). I am asking for the impossible or will any of these tires work or is there a better one?
Love the site, thanks for your knowledge & input,
Sci
  • Battle Creek, Nebraska
  • 93 K75

Offline johnny

• TrailBrakingThrottleWhacker
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
  • Whacking...n...Chopping Sliding...n...High Siding
Re: Recommended K75 tire for Dalton Highway
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2018, 04:42:33 PM »
greetings...

im doing this ride june of 19... have 2 years of planning into this whack... at this point the decision is road tior cheezconsin to fairbanks... then off road tior the 1000 approx miles fairbanks to deadhorse to fairbanks...

we have not decided on the off road tior... butts have decided its needs to be an aggressive 1000 mile mudder throwaway...

the mudders for the haul road and the road tiors for fairbanks to home will be purchased in advance and waiting for us in fairbanks...

so its dedicated road tior to fairbanks... dedicated mudder fairbanks to deadhorse to fairbanks... dedicated road tior fairbanks to home...

j o
  • :johnny i parks my 96 eleven hundert rs motobrick in dodge county cheezconsin  :johnny

Offline woodgeek

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2018, 04:56:21 PM »
Oh man that trip sounds like fun! Please take some pics to share with the rest of us.

Hope youíre not slidiní & high-sidiní on that trip jo! [emoji23][emoji106]
  • Henderson, NV
  • 1985 K100RT

Offline sci

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2018, 05:11:50 PM »
greetings...

im doing this ride june of 19... have 2 years of planning into this whack... at this point the decision is road tior cheezconsin to fairbanks... then off road tior the 1000 approx miles fairbanks to deadhorse to fairbanks...

we have not decided on the off road tior... butts have decided its needs to be an aggressive 1000 mile mudder throwaway...

the mudders for the haul road and the road tiors for fairbanks to home will be purchased in advance and waiting for us in fairbanks...

so its dedicated road tior to fairbanks... dedicated mudder fairbanks to deadhorse to fairbanks... dedicated road tior fairbanks to home...

j o
Awesome. Are you going to change your own tires or have a tire dealer do them?
I was hoping not to have to change out tires twice but that is an option. A friend of mine recommended a tire guy that works out of his garage; Dan Armstrong,  http://www.advcycleworks.com/
I am leaving about that same time. Hope to see you on the road. I might possibly get high centered on the Yukon with a friend at fish camp for a week. Also taking a small gold pan and working a couple of steams for a day or two. Keep in touch.
Sci
  • Battle Creek, Nebraska
  • 93 K75

Offline caveman

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2018, 06:47:08 AM »
I would take jo's approach but to answer your question take a look at mezler tourrange. I was just out on a trip and the new lazertec I had on gave out in Colorado (only 2500 miles) and the only thing I could find was this tourange tire. It is a 80/20 type tire and did fine on the road and after 3,000 miles it still has lots of tread left. Sorry but can't tell you how it is in mud or rain. Also I will add that it is a 130-80 size radial (the only tire I could find) but like I say it did fine on the road. BTW thanks to Harry at Basin Motorcycle Works in Mancos, Colorado for keeping me rolling.
  • Kennerdell, PA.
  • 87 K100RT, 88 K100LT

Offline johnny

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2018, 07:54:21 AM »
greetings...

my riding buddies in cali are sorting out the tiors... they are spooners... im all about letting the spooners spoon...

there are choices... we have not decided where and when because i will not have my vacation schedule till january... thats when it will be firmed up...

they have got new adventure motos for this ride... im taking the brick...

will be looking for your ride report...

j o
  • :johnny i parks my 96 eleven hundert rs motobrick in dodge county cheezconsin  :johnny

Offline sci

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2018, 10:07:33 AM »
Thanks for the input guys. I'll take photos keep you updated.
  • Battle Creek, Nebraska
  • 93 K75

Offline johnny

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2018, 11:57:18 AM »
greetings...

we are gonna use http://www.advcycleworks.com in fairbanks to power wash our motos and to facilitate our tior swaps...

its open and staffed with tior techs 24/7 during riding season...

minimum of 30 days advance and prepay on the tiors... then 1st come 1st served...

j o

Offline sci

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2019, 11:00:55 AM »
greetings...

j o
Hi Johnny,
Just checking in with you. Did you ever make your trip up to Alaska or are you going at a later date?
-Dan
  • Battle Creek, Nebraska
  • 93 K75

Offline johnny

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2019, 04:36:37 PM »
greetings...

boss man shortened our summer vaca 2019... not enough time 2019... butts will do asap...

j o

Offline sci

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2019, 09:04:36 AM »
Good show. Much of the fun is in the planning. That was my trip of a lifetime....so far.
-Dan
  • Battle Creek, Nebraska
  • 93 K75

Tags: