Author Topic: Need opinions plz. Basically: K100 LT vs RS  (Read 3464 times)

Offline bobmusick

• Motobrick Curious
Need opinions plz. Basically: K100 LT vs RS
« on: April 27, 2018, 08:31:10 PM »
Hi all,

Been a member for a while but haven’t really posted or even lurked if I’m honest. College kid and work full time now so woo!

Anyways, I have the K100LT (‘90) and I love it. Comfy, solid, brisk, reliable, good mpgs, etc. y’all know.

Ever since I saw gryphons rs it got me thinking. I like to drive fast and sometimes aggressively, and I feel like I beat up the poor LT. It handles it but I dunno, it feels like I’m wearing it down, for lack of a better phrase. Still pulls etc. and I love that I was able to take it cross country, all the bags... I took the big back one off for daily use but for the big trip I put it on and it was great. (New York to North Carolina and back in two days) Didn’t break a sweat, handled the southern(ish) heat and rain and mountains... again, you all know. And I especially like the little cubbies on either side of the fairing for daily use.

Another big thing I like about the LT is the big fairing/mirrors which makes it nice to ride even in the extra cold months. But I yanked the radio out, and now I have these speakers which are kinda dumb since they don’t do anything.

SO- if I were to look into switching over to the K100RS, would I be sacrificing much of the comfort things I mentioned for more of the aggressive/speed orientation? Are there big differences that I’d be missing out on that I’m not touching on? Any input helps. Thank y’all so much and I promise to be more active on here too [emoji28]
  • Buffalo, NY
  • 1990 K100LT

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
Re: Need opinions plz. Basically: K100 LT vs RS
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2018, 07:46:38 AM »
As a proponent of natural selection, I support aggressive riding as long as it doesn't injure other people or their property.  :2thumbup:

If you get an RS, you'll still be able to enjoy the thrill of potential self-maiming. The bike will be lighter and the ride will be cooler in warm weather. The stock riding position will be more aggressive, so that's a plus for you. Rain and debris protection will be less because its windscreen and fairing give less coverage.

Every now and then an '85 turbo 100RT comes on the market. That would satisfy both sides of your equation.
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles
I wept because I had no radials until I met a man who had no splines.

Offline The Mighty Gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2018, 11:33:21 AM »
Hi Bob, good to hear from you again.  From this and your recent purchase of a R26 it is more than obvious that you have the dreaded Kpox which can only be treated by getting a larger garage and filling it with numerous variants of our beloved brick.

Since I have an RT and RS let me say that the RS is a fun bike and can be used for long trips(ask Johnny who does thousands of miles on his).  Both bikes will be comfortable for someone your size for long distances.  Where the difference lies is in the protection from the elements.

The RT/LT has excellent full body protection from cold wind and precipitation whereas the RS leaves a bit more of the feet and hands exposed along with a lot more of the upper body.  If you are in situations where you are forced to ride in nasty weather then your LT will be your best friend.  On hot sunny days the RS will be a better choice.

Yes, the RS will be a LOT more fun to ride aggressively.  The LT is about 50 pounds heavier, and a lot of that extra weight is up high in the fairing, but remember that is your weather protection. 

With my bikes, I find that early and late in the riding season my RT is my favorite and from Memorial Day to the end of September, the RS can't be beat.
  • In my garage in Marilla, NY
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:
'91 K100RS16V "Moby Brick Too"

Past:
'94 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
'92 K100RS16V "Moby Brick" (RIP, deceased in a vehicular assault)
'94 K75S Special Edition Dakar Yellow "Cheetos"
'89 K100RS Special Edition "Special Ed"

Offline bobmusick

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2018, 02:29:18 PM »
Hahah, no worries, I have no intention of hurting others or their stuff since it would most likely be by body doing the breaking.

Took a look at the turbo bike, really really really neat. Don’t give me ideas [emoji34] haha but ugh yeah it seems like it might have to end up being another acquisition rather than a one or the other kinda like gryphon was saying.

Which of course I wouldn’t mind but until I get a big boy job, the whole point of a bike right now is to be efficient, cheap to run/own, and easy. (er, should be at least lol)

@gryphon Yeah, been pretty busy with essentially starting two random jobs with school going on but it’s all been fun. And yeah feel free to stop by when it’s nice out, before we move!! No where incredibly far. Just to ellicottville so I think maybe closer to you? Not sure. But! It’s a neat story that I won’t spew on here so I don’t get too off topic.

• Buffalo, NY
  • 1990 K100LT

Offline The Mighty Gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2018, 03:18:28 PM »
Sounds like another victim of Kpox. :eek:   Make sure the place in Ellicottville has a big garage...

Ellicottville isn't much farther, just in the opposite direction of most of my commuting.  The upside is that there are some really nice roads to take to get there. :2thumbup:

When are you moving?
  • In my garage in Marilla, NY
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:
'91 K100RS16V "Moby Brick Too"

Past:
'94 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
'92 K100RS16V "Moby Brick" (RIP, deceased in a vehicular assault)
'94 K75S Special Edition Dakar Yellow "Cheetos"
'89 K100RS Special Edition "Special Ed"

Offline bobmusick

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2018, 06:55:08 PM »
Ha, kinda figured. Adds a bit of time to my normal commutes by whatever.
Well, it does. Which was a big selling point. I’m going to definitely get a lift for car stuff. Plus my aunt who’s quite the mechanic herself is our neighbor so it’ll be nice.
Move is all depending when we sell ours, so if anyone’s looking in central Niagara county!
  • Buffalo, NY
  • 1990 K100LT

Tags: