Author Topic: Bmw k100 upside down fork conversion,HELP NEEDED  (Read 16684 times)

Offline Blackened6969

• Curious
Bmw k100 upside down fork conversion,HELP NEEDED
« on: March 23, 2018, 02:44:24 AM »
Hi there,
Started a cafe racer project on a 1985 bmw k100rs.considering a upside front fork conversion,possibly using a suzuki hayabusa complete front end including wheel brakes etc.
The issue i'm concerned about is will the suzuki front (once fitted with the correct length stem and bearing work)or will the suzuki forks hit the tank due to the off set of the different yokes?
If that's the case can anyone recommend an alternative front end conversion rather than the suzuki hayabusa.
Cheers
  • Uk
  • K100 ducati 996

Offline johnny

• TrailBrakingThrottleWhacker
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
  • Whacking...n...Chopping Sliding...n...High Siding
Re: Bmw k100 upside down fork conversion,HELP NEEDED
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2018, 07:17:27 AM »
greetings...

im running a honda front end on my hundert...

j o
  • :johnny i parks my 96 eleven hundert rs motobrick in dodge county cheezconsin  :johnny

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2018, 07:18:55 AM »
Civic or Accord?
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles
I wept because I had no radials until I met a man who had no splines.

Offline Laitch

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2018, 07:45:33 AM »
If that's the case can anyone recommend an alternative front end conversion rather than the suzuki hayabusa.
Look here. Gixxer forks seem preferred by K-bike mutators. You'll find plenty of information regarding their conversion. Start a thread about your project in the Custom, queered-out Projects section, but post a photo or two of it here and tell us about it—mileage, how long you've owned it, whether you've run it, where you live, what your favorite food is, and so on.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline The Mighty Gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2018, 08:55:03 AM »
greetings...

j o

Honda and Zuki front ends are for pansies.  My cappuccino racer is gonna have a Peterbilt front end.  Dump truck drivers will wet themselves when they see my brick in their mirrors.

Old school Peterbilt | Truck | Pinterest
  • In my garage in Marilla, NY
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:
'91 K100RS16V "Moby Brick Too"

Past:
'94 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
'92 K100RS16V "Moby Brick" (RIP, deceased in a vehicular assault)
'94 K75S Special Edition Dakar Yellow "Cheetos"
'89 K100RS Special Edition "Special Ed"

Offline Jamashn

• Curious
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2019, 07:54:31 PM »
Hi,

Im currently doing the same to my 1984 k100Rs. I have a 2005 GSXR600 front end and planning on making the two best of friends. It seems the difficulties that people run into when combining the two is:
1.Stem length not the same
2. Different offset

Cognitomoto make a custom stem that solves the first problem ( https://cognitomoto.com/products/gsx-r-fork-on-bmw-r50-r60-r75-r90-frame-conversion-stem?variant=3724295307304).

The second issue people have is the different offsets between the two bikes resulting in the forks hitting the tank = shitty/dangerous turning circle. To get around this, I have seen builders modify the tank. The other option is to buy the Cognitomoto front stem and upped and lower Tripple. This will fix the offset issues. My GSXR donor front end has a 17inch rim - so they recommend purchasing the 30mm offset. After much deliberation, I think I'm going to bite the bullet and purchase the stem, lower and upper (https://cognitomoto.com/collections/fork-conversion-parts/products/gsx-r-fixed-offset-triple-tree-conversion-30mm-45mm-50mm-55mm-60mm).

All the best with your build. If your interested in following my progression, check out my insta - jimmy_k100

• Sydney
  • 1984 k100rs, 1984 k100rt

Offline DEcosse

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2019, 01:20:52 AM »
.... My GSXR donor front end has a 17inch rim - so they recommend purchasing the 30mm offset.

30mm is already the Offset for the 2005 GSXR 600 forks OEM Triples

Here's a bunch of data on Suzuki forks you may find helpful

https://www.triumphrat.net/speed-triple-forum/42588-k6-gsxr-fork-retrofit-complete-2.html#post3780386

https://www.triumphrat.net/speed-triple-forum/42588-k6-gsxr-fork-retrofit-complete-2.html#post3780394

Here's also an article I authored on helping understanding of how the elements (Offset, Wheel Radius, Caster/Rake, Fork Length) affect the Steering Geometry - https://www.triumphrat.net/sprint-forum/102102-the-definitive-usd-fork-conversion-for-sprints-thread.html#post1195267

• CA, USA
  • Triumph Daytona 955

Offline bizzaro

• ^ SuperNatural Motobricker
  • co pilot
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2019, 09:23:28 PM »
Honda and Zuki front ends are for pansies.  My cappuccino racer is gonna have a Peterbilt front end.  Dump truck drivers will wet themselves when they see my brick in their mirrors.

Old school Peterbilt | Truck | Pinterest

More chrome please  Gryph!

.. And running upside down, the forks aren't a problem.; It is finding a helmet with a wheel mounted in it and balancing the bike on  your freaken head. and of course then there is the brake issue.  it just never ends.  Man if ya want to ruin a perfectly Great moto... get a fuckin harley.   Or better yet a honda?? Honda's butcher up nicely and ya gets tons o options and parts. Save the "traveling" bikes for the guys that actually like to ride.

Awe, shit man, its your ride.  fuck it up however ya like.  And remember when ya get T boned at the red light cause your lookin back to see if those chics are checking out your sweet hack job................. I warned ya to keep yer eyes on the road!
  • Vermont
  • Current:1994 BMW K1100LT Previous: 1982 Yamaha virago 920,1973 Honda CB550,1976 Yamaha 650 Special
See Ya in the Twisties,
 Bizz

Offline Laitch

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2019, 10:34:20 PM »
And remember when ya get T boned at the red light cause your lookin back to see if those chics are checking out your sweet hack job................. I warned ya to keep yer eyes on the road!
:giggles
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline Jamashn

• Curious
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2019, 04:21:26 AM »
Thanks for the help. I have purchased the conversion stem from cognitomoto. Will post progress pics when I finish.
  • Sydney
  • 1984 k100rs, 1984 k100rt

Offline Clintinz

• Curious
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2019, 12:35:23 AM »
Hey all. New here and new to k100’s (long time admirer) Just got myself a ‘86 RS. And like many i want to do the front fork conversion.  There seems to be alot of talk about affect on steering and safety etc and I’m not about to kill my self for looks.  Is there a fork set that is the most similar to the stock setup. One that can handle the existing k100 wheels? Thanks for you patience.
  • Around the back
  • ‘86 k100rs

Offline Laitch

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2019, 12:59:27 PM »
There seems to be alot of talk about affect on steering and safety etc and I’m not about to kill my self for looks.  Is there a fork set that is the most similar to the stock setup. One that can handle the existing k100 wheels?
What is your goal for the change if it isn't looks? Are you having handling difficulties? If replacement equipment is in good condition, there should be no particular handling problems if the moto's geometry isn't radically changed by them. Handling problems can start when the triple trees are excessively lowered on the fork tubes, and when a shorter rear strut is installed.

The most economical strategy is to disassemble the current tubes, inspect and replace worn bushings and other parts, clean the tubes and parts then refill with new oil of the specified amount. Oil grades can then be substituted in a search for the type of ride you seek. After that, cartridge emulators might be considered if they're made for your setup. You need to identify exactly which setup you have because parts have been swapped on many of these old motos.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline Clintinz

• Curious
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2019, 05:00:01 AM »
Your right Laitch,  its not the cheapest option that’s for sure. I’m hoping I can recoup some of the cost by seeking off the older parts. But my main concern still stands, will shortening of the forks effect steering or create wobbles or endanger the rider any other way. Everyone seems to be doing it but I saw a link you to a post you suggested (fork-it) the guy said he went with the longest forks he could find for exactly that reason. And on another post a guy linked to a Suzuki fork matrix and all of the forks are at the best 732mm at the worst 717. Sure 8-10cm will effect the bike?!
  • Around the back
  • ‘86 k100rs

Offline Laitch

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2019, 06:47:07 AM »
But my main concern still stands, will shortening of the forks effect steering or create wobbles or endanger the rider any other way.
Riding any motorcycle endangers you in almost every way, so there's that. :-)

As I indicated previously, lowering the moto and its steering will likely have negative effects on handling. Pegs will scrape unless they, too are modified. Slow handling will be awkward. As posercycles, Bricks seem to be today's choice though.

The more that stock geometry is changed, the more likely it is that destabilization will occur. It's a credit to your diligence that you've found some believable information from a couple of remodelers. If you want a ride that has more use than just the attracting of copulation opportunities, go with the more conservative approach.  Making one stable at speed takes extra effort and is not for people on tight budgets.

Here are some examples.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline Barry in IN

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2019, 09:36:21 AM »
But why?

Everyone seems to be doing it...

Oh.  That’s right, cafe; that special world where yoo-neekness is the goal, and that comes from doing what everyone else is doing. 
  • Indiana
  • 1992 K75S Lili Von Shtuppe
A pox on cafe “builders”

Offline johnny

« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2019, 11:33:59 AM »
greetings...

i remember when customs were fabbed... now they just internet mail order bolt on stuff... bolt on is a pathetic attempt at a custom...

there are some fine examples of customs here at motobrick.com... all of which required tremendous effort from their builders...

however... the bolt on jobs here are whack... whack whack whack whack whack whack whack for thinking they yooooneeeewek...

j o

• :johnny i parks my 96 eleven hundert rs motobrick in dodge county cheezconsin  :johnny

Offline Barry in IN

« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2019, 12:20:58 PM »
And one large difference comes in the planning, before the first loop is cut.  Some plan with a purpose; others just do things. 
  • Indiana
A pox on cafe “builders”

Offline The Mighty Gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2019, 05:41:24 PM »
All those clowns hopping around on one foot.   So sad...
  • In my garage in Marilla, NY
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:
'91 K100RS16V "Moby Brick Too"

Past:
'94 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
'92 K100RS16V "Moby Brick" (RIP, deceased in a vehicular assault)
'94 K75S Special Edition Dakar Yellow "Cheetos"
'89 K100RS Special Edition "Special Ed"

Offline Laitch

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2019, 07:46:03 PM »
All those clowns hopping around on one foot.   So sad...
Don't get among a group of them. Noses cover the floor after a while and it's slippery going.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline Chaos

• Administrator
  • Mars needs women!
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2019, 10:29:01 PM »
i want this forks on my 75.  I was wondering if I should use the same tyre pressure or divide it by 2?
  • sw ohio
1987 K75S    VIN 0231
Original owner, Original litter
200,000 miles (plus or minus) and 5 paint jobs
sold 6/23
2023 Ural 2WD sidecar (BMW's bastard step child)

Offline Barry in IN

« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2019, 10:53:14 PM »
Maybe I’ll just deloop and board seat a Niken.

And is it just me, or do those look like spray rigs?
  • Indiana
A pox on cafe “builders”

Offline volador

• NEEDS MORE CHROME
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2019, 12:29:19 AM »
i want this forks on my 75.  I was wondering if I should use the same tyre pressure or divide it by 2?

That would be some yooneewek chit! The first Brick Nik
  • NYC NY
  • 1991 K100RS 1993 K75S ABS
5 BOROUGHS SISYPHEAN SOCIETY  MAINTAINING THE OBSESSION

Offline johnny

« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2019, 08:21:42 AM »
greetings...

i gotts one of those tanks on my brick... much smaller though for dusk to dawn rides...

the urine tank on that custom tryke looks be good for year long rides...

for grocery getting i just use my leg tank...

* suspensory-male-urinal-lar.jpg (12.67 kB . 614x500 - viewed 6374 times)

j o

Tags: usd