Author Topic: No Start, Will Crank  (Read 3502 times)

Offline todd4451

• Curious
No Start, Will Crank
« on: March 18, 2018, 07:59:22 PM »
Well, I have read all of the instructions and warnings.  Here goes.  About a year and a half ago I purchased a 1993 K1100 with less than 30K miles on it.  I enjoyed several trips on it and purchased a low seat for it.  Last fall on Labor Day it quit running while riding. No warning, no sputtering it just quit.  It would turn over but would not fire.  I called my son and we towed it back home.  I found that if I sprayed a little "fuel" into the intake inlet that it would fire for a moment.  Having only owned it for less than 2 years I decided to replace the fuel pump.  I order a kit from Euro Motoelectrics and did the install.  Very nice kit.  No problems with the install.  Inside of the tank was very clean.  Put everything back together and it fired right up.  Rode it several times until the first week of December when it quit again just like the first time.  No warning, just suddenly quit.  Towed it back home and determined that, again, it wasn't getting any fuel.  Parked it with a battery tender and rode my other bike until this weekend. 
It still would willingly turn over but no start.  In trying to think things through I decided to disconnect and re-connect the battery thinking this may reset the computer.  To my surprise it immediately started!
So, in installing the fuel pump I probably inadvertently "fixed" it when I disconnected the battery.  My question is, what is failing and what am I resetting by disconnecting the battery?  Your help appreciated.  Thank you.
  • Collierville, TN
  • 1993 K1100

Offline johnny

• TrailBrakingThrottleWhacker
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
  • Whacking...n...Chopping Sliding...n...High Siding
  • :johnny i parks my 96 eleven hundert rs motobrick in dodge county cheezconsin  :johnny

Offline Timbox

• ^ Motobrick Curious
Re: No Start, Will Crank
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2018, 08:55:38 PM »
Todd,
You need to check all the connections as Johnny pointed out.  Looks like you have something loose or a partial open  Check the connectors and look for possible corrosion or dirt in the plugs.

As for the fuel pump, you made sure the connectors on the pump were good and tight?  The low fuel sender and or power for the fuel pump is in good condition?  The  4 wire plug is a really good place to start and easy to get at.

Good luck.
  • Tomah, Wisconsin
  • 87 K100 RS
1987 K100RS current project :)
In shed: 07 Bandit 1250, 86 FJ1200, 85 Madura 1200 and KLR650

Offline The Mighty Gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2018, 08:57:46 PM »
Here's where I'll put my money:

http://www.motobrick.com/index.php/topic,7480.0.html

Two out of four bricks have had issues with that connector.   Rolling down the road enjoying the scenery and suddenly silence...  I suspect BMW bought them from Lucas.

You gotta keep it clean, and on one of them I had to bend the male pins a very tiny bit to get more contact in the female side.
  • In my garage in Marilla, NY
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:
'91 K100RS16V "Moby Brick Too"

Past:
'94 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
'92 K100RS16V "Moby Brick" (RIP, deceased in a vehicular assault)
'94 K75S Special Edition Dakar Yellow "Cheetos"
'89 K100RS Special Edition "Special Ed"

Offline Timbox

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2018, 09:11:25 PM »
I am guessing that is why some folks change them out to different connector, like trailer lights? 
  • Tomah, Wisconsin
  • 87 K100 RS
1987 K100RS current project :)
In shed: 07 Bandit 1250, 86 FJ1200, 85 Madura 1200 and KLR650

Offline Martin

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2018, 09:20:31 PM »
Try to use something that is waterproof. I got a waterproof one from Jaycar. Never had any trouble with it for twenty years, then it started to play up. I tried DeoxIT which worked for a while then played up, so rather than stuff around with it I  replaced it.
Regards Martin.

* Duratech 1.jpg (68.18 kB . 648x486 - viewed 246 times)
* Duratech 3.jpg (60.36 kB . 768x576 - viewed 252 times)
  • North Lakes Queensland Australia
  • 1992 K75s Hybrid, Lefaux, Vespa V twin.

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2018, 10:05:24 PM »
. . .  In trying to think things through I decided to disconnect and re-connect the battery thinking this may reset the computer.  To my surprise it immediately started! So, in installing the fuel pump I probably inadvertently "fixed" it when I disconnected the battery.  My question is, what is failing and what am I resetting by disconnecting the battery?. .  . .
Correlation does not equal causation.

Check the condition of your battery's negative terminal cable ground on the transmission case to be sure it is clean and tight. Check both battery terminal connections to be sure they are clean and tight. Check your frame ground connection to be sure it's clean and all connections are tight. Take a 50 mile ride and let us know what happens. If it dies again, it could be—among other causes—the four-pin connector under the tank, a poorly connected L-Jetronic plug or intermittent Hall sensor failure. 
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles
I wept because I had no radials until I met a man who had no splines.
https://tinyurl.com/RillRider

Offline bizzaro

• ^ SuperNatural Motobricker
  • co pilot
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2018, 06:49:16 AM »
It is really easy to hear the fuel pump turn on as soon as you turn on the ignition.  If it doesn’t, you need to track it down.  Most connections, because your problem is intermittent, should respond to some sort of manipulation. IE: with the key on,  next time it quits, wiggle the wires around at the points and connectors mentioned. You should hear the pump cut in and out, if in fact it is a short or bad/intermittent connection.
  • Vermont
  • Current:1994 BMW K1100LT Previous: 1982 Yamaha virago 920,1973 Honda CB550,1976 Yamaha 650 Special
See Ya in the Twisties,
 Bizz

Tags: