Author Topic: Coolant with Low silicate content: how damaging?  (Read 3187 times)

Offline alexg

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
Coolant with Low silicate content: how damaging?
« on: March 18, 2018, 04:13:33 PM »
Dear all:
By mistake, I refilled the system with Low Silicate coolant (Older car formula I use for an older bike I have), instead of the newer Prestone formula. How damaging is this for one season? I hate to do the whole coolant flushing again, but looking to hear from the common wisdom of this prestigious forum.

Thanks,

AlexG
  • Michigan
  • '93 K75S, 1975 BMW R75/6 & 1984 Yamaha RZ350
Alex G.

Offline woodgeek

Re: Coolant with Low silicate content: how damaging?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2018, 04:20:39 PM »
I thought we were supposed to use low silicate in our bricks.
  • Henderson, NV
  • 1985 K100RT

Offline johnny

• TrailBrakingThrottleWhacker
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
  • Whacking...n...Chopping Sliding...n...High Siding
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2018, 04:52:55 PM »
greetings...

you will go to he11 if you use anything other than bmw coolant...

i use prestone 50 50 yellow stuff... aints never had a coolant related problem... the orange stuff supposedly will initiate whack...

j o

• :johnny i parks my 96 eleven hundert rs motobrick in dodge county cheezconsin  :johnny

Offline stokester

• ^ SuperNatural Motobricker
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2018, 05:04:32 PM »
Dear all:
By mistake, I refilled the system with Low Silicate coolant (Older car formula I use for an older bike I have), instead of the newer Prestone formula. How damaging is this for one season? I hate to do the whole coolant flushing again, but looking to hear from the common wisdom of this prestigious forum.

Thanks,

AlexG
There are a number of threads dealing with the coolant issue and its effect on the radiator and impeller shaft.  Is the type of coolant responsible for the negative effects?  Not sure but the owner's manual on my '93 K75S states -> Caution   Use only antifreeze and corrosion inhibitors free of nitrite!

What I do know and follow is Bob Fleischer's advice and do not use a coolant with nitrates, phosphates, silicates and borates.  The current Prestone long-life fits this requirement and is available at most local auto parts stores.  I did a quick look at the coolant types in my home shop and found that the ingredients were not always clear so I continue to use the Prestone.
  • Yorktown Virginia
  • '94 K75S Dakar Yellow - '93 K75S Seiden Blau - '91 R100RT Bermuda Blue- '78 R100S Smoke Red

Offline woodgeek

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2018, 05:25:20 PM »
you will go to he11 if you use anything other than bmw coolant...

j o
[emoji15][emoji33][emoji24][emoji23]
  • Henderson, NV
  • 1985 K100RT

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2018, 05:29:51 PM »
By mistake, I refilled . . .  looking to hear from the common wisdom of this prestigious forum.
I thought we were supposed to use low silicate in our bricks.
The recommended coolant for Bricks is any long-life coolant. Long-life coolant has no silicates; it has no nitrites. This type of coolant is classified as OAT. HOAT is acceptable, too, depending upon its constituents. Yellow and amber can seem almost the same colors if viewed through a glaze of weed butter. GOATs don't figure into any of this.

Anyway, read all about them here. In addition to breakdown of their protection during extended use, nitrites in coolant will tend to darken the coolant reservoir level gauge tubes in early K-bikes, rendering them useless. That is one reason why BMW specifically cautions against coolant that contains nitrites.

Maybe the common wisdom of this prestigious forum should be pay close attention to the task at hand. That would ruin all the fun though. :giggles
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles
I wept because I had no radials until I met a man who had no splines.
https://tinyurl.com/RillRider

Offline alexg

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2018, 09:55:06 PM »
Laitch, thanks for the reply, very instructive. Will have to change the fluid at some point this season then.

AlexG.
  • Michigan
  • '93 K75S, 1975 BMW R75/6 & 1984 Yamaha RZ350
Alex G.

Tags: