Author Topic: Long time gone, back on the Grid  (Read 2336 times)

Offline KCinSB

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
  • Still learning about Bricks from this site!
Long time gone, back on the Grid
« on: August 02, 2020, 07:48:57 PM »
 It’s been awhile, and if there is a better board to ask this, please tell me.   Back round:
  My K1100RS fell over against the Wife’s car in the garage years ago,.......  dunno how far back now. Broke the upper fairing, bent the fairing and mirror mount inner support structure, scarred up the sides. Of course the priority was her car. After searching for a replacement upper fairing (did look here) I finally got tired of the hassle and just paid the big bucks for an unmolested upper, $600 !!!, listed as NOS but was not. Listed as perfect has minor damage. Found the correct paint, bought it, and then......... got distracted, lost interest, built some BSAs, and Triumphs, and finally put the bike on Non-Ops 2018. While it was busted up and parked: replaced the rear main seal, and also the clutch while in there. Noticed cracked fuel hoses, and replaced all of the fuel lines. Got that back together, and the bike runs and goes down the road as an ugly/naked K. Pulled all the body work down from the rafters, advertised on CL to see if it would move. Got some really CRAZY inquires: “if I change the tires, will it go in the dirt”.  WHAT ?????  I have started the repaint project and I expect that will get more involved than I want , but need it done.  In the looking at it stage, I realize the re-assemble of the body work will be a difficult process. Yup, I took photos. Rats, can’t find them now 6 (?) years later.  So, after the background, the question:
  Is there a place here with help regarding the assembling the fairing parts?  The order of which part goes on first etc? The plan is to fit the parts together to be sure the support tubing will work before painting and doing that struggle with fresh paint. I suppose this topic fairing install process has been asked before, and sure could use the advice. 

https://santabarbara.craigslist.org/mcy/d/goleta-93-bmw-k1100rs-with-luggage/7155870513.html
  • Santa Barbara, CA
  • SOLD
No good turn goes unpunished, but it's fun to keep trying.........
1993 K1100RS, with LT Rack&Case, some old BSAs and Triumphs,... some even run!! Recent Dark Side foray... '65 XLCH tractor.

Offline KCinSB

Re: Long time gone, back on the Grid
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2020, 07:54:16 PM »
Ok, spent the afternoon on it. The upper fairing fits The tubing structure OK, and I think it is supposed to be the Basis for the rest of the parts to follow on. Anyone with an Idea of how to avoid “together and apart” when finding it needs to be Done in a different order, please do comment!
   ( OK,......... the hammer is a Joke !!!)
  • Santa Barbara, CA
  • SOLD
1993 K1100RS, with LT Rack&Case, some old BSAs and Triumphs,... some even run!! Recent Dark Side foray... '65 XLCH tractor.

Online Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2020, 08:49:45 PM »
The Service Manual section of this site has a BMW k1100 manual in it that's downloadable. In the Frame chapter are takedown and assembly instructions for your RS fairing. Try using those as a supplement for your intuition and whatever advice you get here.
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles
I wept because I had no radials until I met a man who had no splines.

Offline KCinSB

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2020, 09:13:28 AM »
The on-site “Repair guidance....”. Has a topic:
K75RT K100RT K100LT K1100LT fairing removal - includes radio removal *with pics.
  Is there a chance someone would undertake the project of replacing the lost (&^%RCFE#%^&$$) photo bucket pictures?
  Also, the post refers to an attached PDF that is for downloading. Is that still there? Not finding that at the bottom as directed.
  • Santa Barbara, CA
  • SOLD

Online Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2020, 05:31:30 PM »
The on-site “Repair guidance....”. Has a topic:
K75RT K100RT K100LT K1100LT fairing removal - includes radio removal *with pics.
  Is there a chance someone would undertake the project of replacing the lost (&^%RCFE#%^&$$) photo bucket pictures?
  Also, the post refers to an attached PDF that is for downloading. Is that still there? Not finding that at the bottom as directed.
There is no chance of restoring the photos to that post because they're the either the property of the poster or of Photobucket.

The attached pdf is under a line toward the bottom of the post. It's a hyperlink. I just clicked on it, downloaded it to my computer, opened it and it contains both instructions and photos. Assume a calm demeanor and take another look. View the line at the red arrow in the attached photo. If you still can't find it, take another look after that.
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles
I wept because I had no radials until I met a man who had no splines.

Offline KCinSB

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2020, 11:03:51 AM »
YES!! Thanks for the instruction, as you are correct the Link was there all the time!
   I guess the photos on the LT are quite different from an RS. Reading to see if I can sort out the Install order of the  body fairing parts. I have the OEM shop manual and a Hayne’s book also. Both are light on the body topic. “Install in reverse order...”, is always useless. I’ll figure it out of course, was just trying to avoid unnecessary panel scratches after paint. 
  • Santa Barbara, CA
  • SOLD

Offline The Mighty Gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2020, 12:25:51 PM »
Here's the Cliff Notes version of how I do it:

1. Headlight in main fairing, horns on bracket, install windshield in fairing.

2. install main fairing, 6 bolts.  Connect headlight and parking light.  Put turn signal wires through fairing

3. Install trim around forks.  install radiator cowling.

4. attach inner trim to lower fairing panels.

5. install lower fairing panels

6. Install belly pan bracket and belly pan.

7. Install inner trim below windshield, install inner trim on sides of windshield.

8. Install gauges and connect.

9. Install knee panels

The MaxBMW parts fiche for the K1100RS is a good source of information on what fasteners go where.  https://shop.maxbmw.com/fiche/DiagramsMain.aspx?vid=51713&rnd=07242017

• In my garage in Marilla, NY
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:
'91 K100RS16V "Moby Brick Too"

Past:
'94 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
'92 K100RS16V "Moby Brick" (RIP, deceased in a vehicular assault)
'94 K75S Special Edition Dakar Yellow "Cheetos"
'89 K100RS Special Edition "Special Ed"

Offline KCinSB

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2020, 03:27:52 PM »
Thank You! The Cliff’s Notes are appreciated! 
  • Santa Barbara, CA
  • SOLD

Tags: