Author Topic: '85 RS Porch Ornament Gets New Home  (Read 36286 times)

Offline Nailhead

• Old enough to know better.
  • ^ Motobrick Curious
'85 RS Porch Ornament Gets New Home
« Reply #50 on: March 30, 2018, 01:16:58 AM »
Thanks Gryph. I got to thinking later it was probably much ado about nothing, but I’ve seen some underhanded things done to various vehicles in my experience.

I got some good things done, though— good progress was made today.

First, after reviewing the factory manual (downloaded at this very site!), I got enough of the plastics removed to get the tank off & drained, most of it not on me:

Gawd, old gas stinks.

Is this evidence of leakage worrying to you all?

Knowing what I’ve learned about keeping things sealed up, some designs are chronically bad that way, and I hope this area isn’t.

I then moved on to the injectors with the intention of sending them off to Mr Injector for servicing:

The second from the left seems to have been leaking a while from its seat in the rail.  The far right one damn near needed a porta-power to dislodge it from the head.

I guess I’ll have to fab up a fitting for my shop vac to clean around those injector seats— they are really dirty, and I don’t dare touch that area with anything that doesn’t involve suction in some form. I’m letting them dry out for a while, though, let that old fuel evaporate to the extent it’s going to.

So, do I need to replace these?

They look pretty spent.

Found this, also:

Rats.

On to tank disassembly and, well, everything else.
  • Longmont, CO
  • 1985 K100RS
'85 K100RS, '07 KTM 990 Adv., '93 Ducati 900SS, '87 Suzuki SP 200, '80 BMW R100RS, '7? Benelli 650S

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
Re: '85 RS Porch Ornament Gets New Home
« Reply #51 on: March 30, 2018, 03:26:34 AM »
The second from the left seems to have been leaking a while from its seat in the rail.  The far right one damn near needed a porta-power to dislodge it from the head.

Things could be worse. :giggles
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles
I wept because I had no radials until I met a man who had no splines.
https://tinyurl.com/RillRider

Offline The Mighty Gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #52 on: March 30, 2018, 08:34:17 AM »
That fairing damage isn't very bad.  Some CA glue in the crack and a little fiberglass on the backside and it will be as strong as new.  Then open up the front and put some filler in it.

http://www.motobrick.com/index.php/topic,10859.msg94018.html#msg94018

I had another thread with a bit more information, but the search engine here can't find it. :dunno2:
  • In my garage in Marilla, NY
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:
'91 K100RS16V "Moby Brick Too"

Past:
'94 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
'92 K100RS16V "Moby Brick" (RIP, deceased in a vehicular assault)
'94 K75S Special Edition Dakar Yellow "Cheetos"
'89 K100RS Special Edition "Special Ed"

Offline rbm

• Regards, Robert
Toronto, Ontario

1987 K75 - Build Blog @http://k75retro.blogspot.ca/

• Administrator
« Reply #54 on: March 30, 2018, 02:11:20 PM »
That's the one.  Thanks!
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:

Past:

Offline Nailhead

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #55 on: March 31, 2018, 10:42:43 AM »
Thanks guys!
  • Longmont, CO
  • 1985 K100RS
'85 K100RS, '07 KTM 990 Adv., '93 Ducati 900SS, '87 Suzuki SP 200, '80 BMW R100RS, '7? Benelli 650S

Offline Nine80seven

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
« Reply #56 on: April 03, 2018, 03:58:32 PM »
That's an early tank for sure.  The single screw rear mount and big plastic electric thingee.  What I'm curious of is how late seat pan fits the frame?  Love to see either the frame mount or the seat pan.  Tranx.
  • MN
  • 85 K100RS

Offline Nailhead

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #57 on: April 04, 2018, 05:52:11 AM »
That's an early tank for sure.  The single screw rear mount and big plastic electric thingee.  What I'm curious of is how late seat pan fits the frame?  Love to see either the frame mount or the seat pan.  Tranx.

When I get back from Fla, I'll certainly oblige.  That should give the old gas aroma time to clear from the shop.
  • Longmont, CO
  • 1985 K100RS

Offline Nine80seven

« Reply #58 on: April 04, 2018, 12:39:10 PM »
Thanx, nailhead.  I got an '87 seat and rear fairing which I want to mount but not sure if I should cut the old mount, cut the seat pan or whatever.  Or?  Have a look at yer engine number when you get back.  The year and the week engine produced is in that number.  Mine says, 2884, which is the twenty eighth week of 1984, which coincides with the date of the bikes manufacture!  Unless I'm mistaken? AFAIK.
  • MN
  • 85 K100RS

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
« Reply #59 on: April 04, 2018, 01:20:13 PM »
Thanx, nailhead.  I got an '87 seat and rear fairing which I want to mount but not sure if I should cut the old mount, cut the seat pan or whatever.  Or? 
It would seem necessary to remove what BMW calls the rear tail part (if that is what is meant by rear fairing—I use the term rear cowl) then determine if your '87 replacement will mount to it. If it will, then you'll need to determine if the '87 replacement seat will align with the brackets and still fit acceptably within the space between the tank and the cowl.

If you need to relocate rear cowl mounting brackets, here is a useful post. It's easier for me to use a small MIG welder for filling holes but stick will do it.
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles
I wept because I had no radials until I met a man who had no splines.
https://tinyurl.com/RillRider

Offline Nailhead

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #60 on: April 10, 2018, 09:00:37 PM »
Thanx, nailhead.  I got an '87 seat and rear fairing which I want to mount but not sure if I should cut the old mount, cut the seat pan or whatever.  Or?  Have a look at yer engine number when you get back.  The year and the week engine produced is in that number.  Mine says, 2884, which is the twenty eighth week of 1984, which coincides with the date of the bikes manufacture!  Unless I'm mistaken? AFAIK.

Here are some pix— hopefully, they tell you what you want to know:

If not, give me some guidance, and I’ll get more.
  • Longmont, CO
  • 1985 K100RS

Offline Nailhead

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #61 on: April 10, 2018, 09:21:20 PM »
Today’s progress involved the tank and the disgustingness within.

I thought I was done before I really got started, because that filler assembly wouldn’t budge, so I tried this:

It worked great! 

The view inside was kind of ugly due the fact that the pump had come loose from its mount when I turned it over to empty it, and there are fragments of rotten rubber all over the place.

The pic doesn’t really show it, it turns out.

This is what came out— a hardwired mess:

And I fished this out:

Now I gotta figure out how to get the residual fuel, varnish, and rubber chunks out of there given how the filler mounting flange protrudes inward. Filling it with vinegar, mineral spirits, etc., and shaking it interminably doesn’t sound very thorough, or appealing, and you can’t just pour it all out.

How did you all deal with this problem?
  • Longmont, CO
  • 1985 K100RS

• Administrator
« Reply #62 on: April 10, 2018, 10:58:17 PM »
If it is dry inside use a chip brush to sweep up the chunks so they can be easily vacuumed out.  A stiff brush like a tooth brush and a chunk of ScotchBrite can be used to loosen things up.

With the chunks out, go in with the vinegar.  After it's done it's thing dump out what you can and rinse with a lot of water, sloshing and dumping.  The remaining water can be gotten out with a siphon made from a couple feet of 3/8" vinyl hose.  Whatever chunks are left can be mopped up with paper towels.  Anything left can be vacuumed up a second time after the tank dries out.

I don't think you need to get it spotless as far as varnish.  Once you start running the bike, the fuel and occasional Techron doses will continue removing whatever varnish remained.
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:

Past:

Offline johnny

• TrailBrakingThrottleWhacker
  • Whacking...n...Chopping Sliding...n...High Siding
« Reply #63 on: April 10, 2018, 11:04:35 PM »
putts some clean smooth river rocks in there with the vinegar and induce agitation...
  • :johnny i parks my 96 eleven hundert rs motobrick in dodge county cheezconsin  :johnny

Offline Martin

« Reply #64 on: April 11, 2018, 02:48:23 AM »
Until you have done an initial rinse out with vinegar do not use a vacuum cleaner. Acetone, mineral turps, metho and petrol fumes sucked into a vacuum cleaner can explode.  :nono If you do decide to do this without getting rid of any explosive fumes please video the process. :popcorm
Regards Martin.
  • North Lakes Queensland Australia
  • 1992 K75s Hybrid, Lefaux, Vespa V twin.

Offline Nailhead

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #65 on: April 11, 2018, 03:53:42 PM »
Thanks guys!

Though I can’t imagine that old fuel having as many aromatics as my morning coffee, I won’t be vacuuming it out of there; I wouldn’t subject any vacuum I valued to that filth.  I do have a drill pump, however, so I’ll use that, then rinse it with liberal amounts of water.

Question: will hot water harm that rubber thing from which exits the fuel pump wiring?
  • Longmont, CO
  • 1985 K100RS

Offline Timbox

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #66 on: April 14, 2018, 05:17:09 AM »
That rubber gasket might need to be checked anyway.  It is a good place for leaking to take place.  After soaking my (really nasty tank) for a week with vinegar, removing all the fluid and junk that was left over.  I pulled the fuel level sensor arm out and took compressed air and then a vacuum to it.  Worked really well in getting all the little stuck stuff out.

I had to replace my fuel level unit as it was past its prime.  Someone on here told me the rubber gasket is $8...so worth checking to make sure it is not dry rotted.

Good luck and keep up the good work.
  • Tomah, Wisconsin
  • 87 K100 RS
1987 K100RS current project :)
In shed: 07 Bandit 1250, 86 FJ1200, 85 Madura 1200 and KLR650

Offline Nailhead

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #67 on: April 14, 2018, 10:03:02 AM »
I pulled the fuel level sensor arm out...

Good luck and keep up the good work.

Hmmm-- didn't see anything like that. :eek:   No arm, no nothing.  Optional equipment mine didn't come with, perhaps?

Thank you for the encouragement!
  • Longmont, CO
  • 1985 K100RS

Offline Nine80seven

« Reply #68 on: April 14, 2018, 11:59:13 AM »
You've got an early tank, no internal float for fuel level.  Fuel level was monitored by fuel strips, which didn't work well.  The leaking gasket as per yer pictures of tank bottom is in that big plastic fitting/nut at the left front bottom.  And the fitting is NLA.  The fuel strips are in that plastic pipe held inside the tank by the fitting/nut through which the pump wires pass.  Have a look.  Take yer time/care.  That plastic nut may have threads that have been striped by an overzealous wrench/mechanic.  Problem.  All of this is, if I remember correctly. 

The rubber gasket may be available, as it's a rubber gasket.  That's all I think I know about the topic, could be wrong except I got an early tank and someone pointed this out to me.  Also, that fitting may be very fragile.  Take care.  Mine was leaking too.  These are old bikes.  BTW, the plastic nut on my tank was almost loose, like finger tight?  I'm getting a new washer too, but being very careful with that plastic nut whilest trying to eleiminate a leaking fitting.  Details, details.  So much to monitor with a motorbike.

Here we got plenty of time, after eight inches last Tuesday, today another 12-15 inches are coming down today and tomorrow.  And someone said we're getting more snow next week.  So, I'm taking my time fooling around on my old KRS.  Al is coming over to help shovel.

Check Clymer pages 266-267. 
  • MN
  • 85 K100RS

Offline Nailhead

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #69 on: April 14, 2018, 06:37:19 PM »
You've got an early tank, no internal float for fuel level.  Fuel level was monitored by fuel strips, which didn't work well.  The leaking gasket as per yer pictures of tank bottom is in that big plastic fitting/nut at the left front bottom.  And the fitting is NLA.  The fuel strips are in that plastic pipe held inside the tank by the fitting/nut through which the pump wires pass.  Have a look.  Take yer time/care.  That plastic nut may have threads that have been striped by an overzealous wrench/mechanic.  Problem.  All of this is, if I remember correctly. 

The rubber gasket may be available, as it's a rubber gasket.  That's all I think I know about the topic, could be wrong except I got an early tank and someone pointed this out to me.  Also, that fitting may be very fragile.  Take care.  Mine was leaking too.  These are old bikes.  BTW, the plastic nut on my tank was almost loose, like finger tight?  I'm getting a new washer too, but being very careful with that plastic nut whilest trying to eleiminate a leaking fitting.  Details, details.  So much to monitor with a motorbike.

Here we got plenty of time, after eight inches last Tuesday, today another 12-15 inches are coming down today and tomorrow.  And someone said we're getting more snow next week.  So, I'm taking my time fooling around on my old KRS.  Al is coming over to help shovel.

Check Clymer pages 266-267.

Thank you for the help. I got that fitting out relatively easily thanks to this:

No stripped flats, or anything. Good thing I treated it gently if it’s NLA.

It does have an area of concern, however:

It seems to be coming unglued, so I’m just going to treat it gently, and let it dry out after today’s activities.
  • Longmont, CO
  • 1985 K100RS

Offline Nailhead

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #70 on: April 14, 2018, 06:51:05 PM »
As you can see, I performed some fuel tank hygiene today.  I started by removing the last of the gnarly fuel:

I then removed the electrical fitting, thinking it should be kept away from cleaners & water. I abandoned that idea pretty quickly for lack of a suitable cap/stopper, and reinstalled it.

This was followed by some hot water & purple degreaser, aided by some vigorous sloshing, and several rinses.

I removed the electrical fitting after the first rinse so I could flush the rubber fragments out. Even with these efforts and wiping the inside with dry rags, the above is as good as I could get it. I’m going to dry it in the sun tomorrow, and see if I can’t vacuum the remaining rubber chunks out of the fuel pump suction well.  Then I think I’m going to have to call it good, unless you all have some additional ideas.

Thanks for the continuing assistance, and think springtime.
  • Longmont, CO
  • 1985 K100RS

Offline Nailhead

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #71 on: April 14, 2018, 06:53:44 PM »
Almost forgot— look what came in the mail today!

Woohoo!!

Now I just gotta figure out a way to keep from losing them while riding.
  • Longmont, CO
  • 1985 K100RS

Offline Nine80seven

« Reply #72 on: April 14, 2018, 07:35:41 PM »
Almost anything can be fixed.  Take yer time.  As you go along you'll come across what others may have cobbled together, neglected or never serviced.  Just ordered a new gasket for that fuel strip nut connection.  Buck fifty.

I got my RS four years ago and still taking care each winter.  This winter it was the fueling system.  The K bike is famous for just riding the heck out it.  And many were ridden very hard and long, and then pushed in a shed, for the next owner to iron out.  They need regular and good attention like anything mechanical. 

Lucky to get those mirrors.  The signal lens is unobtanium.  Just sayin, FWIW. 
  • MN
  • 85 K100RS

Offline Filmcamera

« Reply #73 on: April 14, 2018, 07:45:37 PM »
I have two sets of tethers on mine, one for the pod and one for the glass itself, both have been pressed into service more than once on the bumpy roads of Costa Rica.
  • San Jose, Costa Rica
  • 1991 K100RS 16v ABS1, 2018 Triumph Street Triple RS 765
Poserbricker

Offline johnny

• TrailBrakingThrottleWhacker
  • Whacking...n...Chopping Sliding...n...High Siding
« Reply #74 on: April 14, 2018, 10:10:46 PM »
greetings...

stainless fish leaders...

j o
  • :johnny i parks my 96 eleven hundert rs motobrick in dodge county cheezconsin  :johnny

Tags: