Author Topic: 1985 K100RS Renovation  (Read 60758 times)

Offline propav8r

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
Re: 1985 K100RS Renovation
« Reply #150 on: May 22, 2018, 09:23:30 AM »
I've had good luck with locktite "sleeve retainer" (green, got it a long time ago and have not seen it lately) and just the regular stuff as well. As for the kenda's watch out for wet roads!

Good luck and I hope you have a safe and fun trip with your pa.

Yeah, it comes in a stick now, looks almost like green chap-stick. You can still get the liquid, but the stick was available locally. Seems to be holding up.

I'm not thrilled with the prospect of running Kendas given my past experiences[size=78%], but it's what's available  and in the budget, and it'll help me avoid having to stop halfway through for a tire change.[/size]
  • Franklin, NC
  • 1985 K100RS, 1978 GL1000, 1972 Kawasaki H2 750

Offline Nailhead

• Old enough to know better.
  • ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #151 on: June 01, 2018, 10:09:42 AM »
Nailhead/propav8r, if either of you wind up with an exhaust you don't need, in scratched or unscratched condition, I'd be happy to take it off your hands and give it a good home.  Brunhilda came with a Supertrapp that I'm not too fond of and I'd like to try a stock exhaust...

Thanks!
Jim

All yours if you want it.  Sorry for the delay-- haven't checked in for a while.
  • Longmont, CO
  • 1985 K100RS
'85 K100RS, '07 KTM 990 Adv., '93 Ducati 900SS, '87 Suzuki SP 200, '80 BMW R100RS, '7? Benelli 650S

Offline thecableguy

« Reply #152 on: June 01, 2018, 10:35:26 AM »
Thanks.  PM sent...
  • Madison, WI USA
  • 86 K100RT - Brünhild
...to make a long story short, use duct tape.

Offline propav8r

« Reply #153 on: June 04, 2018, 10:30:37 AM »
Well, that's the end of that. On the first day of an 11-day roadtrip, I was descending into Boone, NC on Highway 105. I was about 3 carlengths back from the vehicle in front of me when they slammed on brakes to make a turn they were about to miss.

It took a split second for me to process what was happening, and then I screwed up and grabbed too much front brake which unloaded the rear and put me in a tankslapper. Before I knew it, I was down and sliding. I slid across oncoming traffic and luckily missed all the oncoming vehicles. My bike wasn't so lucky. It impacted an oncoming SUV.

Thankfully, I walked away with minor road rash and a few days worth of soreness. The bike, however, is a total loss.

So learn from my mistakes. Stay farther back off other vehicles at highway speeds to allow yourself time to react when someone does something completely unexpected.

This is the end for this bike. Insurance is still going over the claim, so I'm not sure what exactly will happen. I may do a buyback and part out what's left. Below is a tentative list:

Luftmeister exhaust is in decent shape
Engine is fine. The crank cover has a hole and the oil drained out, but the engine shut off before the oil vanished.
Trans, clutch, swingarm, and final drive are fine.
Front and rear braided brake lines
Front and rear calipers have pads with less than 200 miles on them
Front and rear rotors are fine
Center and side stands are good
ECU/Coils/All engine electrics should be good
Brand new clutch cable
Rebuilt front master is good (needs a reservoir now though)
Rear wheel is probably straight, Believe the front is tweaked.
Forks are bent
All bodywork damaged beyond repair except the front fender
Frame bent

I wish this would've ended differently, but at least I'm still here to talk about it. Be safe out there. Aside from a potential partout, I'm probably going to take my leave of K bikes. Thanks for the help and advice during the rebuild.
  • Franklin, NC

Offline billday

• ^ Quintessential Motobricker
« Reply #154 on: June 04, 2018, 10:41:06 AM »
Holy hell. Glad you are OK. What kind of gear were you wearing?
  • New York State, USA 10977
  • 1985 K100

Offline propav8r

« Reply #155 on: June 04, 2018, 10:45:37 AM »
Holy hell. Glad you are OK. What kind of gear were you wearing?

Cortech textile/leather jacket, heavy jeans, leather gloves, and an Arai full-face. The textile part of the jacket shredded FAST, leaving me with about 10" of road rash on my right forearm. The leather elbow pad took a beating, but held up, as did the reinforced shoulder pads. The jeans wore through at my knees, but only barely. Probably a 2" diameter rash on my right, 1" on my left. Gloves held up well. No rash on my palms at all even though I splayed out with them on the pavement. My visor is all scratched and the helmet shell damaged. If I didn't have a full-face on, I would have had serious injuries to my face. As it was, I didn't have so much as a headache.
  • Franklin, NC

Offline The Mighty Gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #156 on: June 04, 2018, 10:49:20 AM »
How are you feeling?  I hope you are talking to a lawyer.  Despite how well you might feel now, long term there may(probably will) be lingering stuff.  My accident was 7 months ago, and I feel worse now than the way I felt three weeks after it happened.   All the x-rays showed was a couple of sprains and bruises, now I'm on my own without a paddle.

As far as the bike, it's a shame.  You had done a beautiful job on it, but with two crashes in such a short period, I would have to think it was jinxed.  Hope you have better luck with the next one, whenever or whatever it may be.
  • In my garage in Marilla, NY
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:
'91 K100RS16V "Moby Brick Too"

Past:
'94 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
'92 K100RS16V "Moby Brick" (RIP, deceased in a vehicular assault)
'94 K75S Special Edition Dakar Yellow "Cheetos"
'89 K100RS Special Edition "Special Ed"

Offline propav8r

« Reply #157 on: June 04, 2018, 11:03:21 AM »
How are you feeling?  I hope you are talking to a lawyer.  Despite how well you might feel now, long term there may(probably will) be lingering stuff.  My accident was 7 months ago, and I feel worse now than the way I felt three weeks after it happened.   All the x-rays showed was a couple of sprains and bruises, now I'm on my own without a paddle.

As far as the bike, it's a shame.  You had done a beautiful job on it, but with two crashes in such a short period, I would have to think it was jinxed.  Hope you have better luck with the next one, whenever or whatever it may be.

Thanks. My friends had joked that it was cursed too. At one point, all four lug nuts on the rear loosened up and sent me into a wobble I barely recovered from. After that, one of my front wheel bearings kept walking out and trying to kill me.

I never really fell in love with the bike. It always seemed to be lacking a little something for me, but I could never quite put my finger on exactly what.

As far as litigation, I'm gonna take a hard pass. I went to the hospital and was checked out, had a CT scan of my head and neck, and have no lingering soreness (the accident was actually a week and a half ago, I'm just now posting about it).

I realize now the first part of my story was incorrect. There were actually two vehicles in front of me, and the one in the very front is the one that tried to make the missed turn. The vehicle behind them (that I was following) also slammed on brakes to avoid a collision. The very front vehicle vanished. The one in front of me stopped and was extremely apologetic. There's really not much to be done. I'm sure some lawyer somewhere would take the case, but in reality, it was an accident, nothing more. Also, the police report shows it as a no-fault accident, and nobody got a ticket.

Side note: Hagerty insurance is absolutely amazing. Their claims process is easy, agents helpful, and their coverage is incredible. If you don't have them, I'd seriously consider looking into it, especially on old/classic vehicles.
  • Franklin, NC

Offline The Mighty Gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #158 on: June 04, 2018, 11:22:18 AM »
Yeah, everything looked okay after my accident.  None of the tests showed any serious damage beyond sprains and bruises.  Now, 7 months later I am dealing with neck and lower back issues that my medical insurance doesn't want to cover because they say they're a result of the accident.   

It doesn't cost anything to talk to a lawyer.

• In my garage in Marilla, NY
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:
'91 K100RS16V "Moby Brick Too"

Past:
'94 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
'92 K100RS16V "Moby Brick" (RIP, deceased in a vehicular assault)
'94 K75S Special Edition Dakar Yellow "Cheetos"
'89 K100RS Special Edition "Special Ed"

Offline Martin

« Reply #159 on: June 04, 2018, 05:16:57 PM »
Sorry to see, it was really a beautiful restoration and you should be proud. I wish they would make all car driver ride motorcycles for two years before they could drive a car. It would hopefully make them better drivers and change their attitudes.
Regards Martin.
  • North Lakes Queensland Australia
  • 1992 K75s Hybrid, Lefaux, Vespa V twin.

Offline propav8r

« Reply #160 on: June 05, 2018, 05:21:00 PM »
Last couple photos I have before the accident...

Altapass NC in the early morning.

Lightweight but effective camping setup (Rain fly, hammock, and underquilt)

• Franklin, NC

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
« Reply #161 on: June 05, 2018, 07:29:16 PM »
I wish they would make all car driver ride motorcycles for two years before they could drive a car. It would hopefully make them better drivers and change their attitudes.
They've had plenty of experience with cars and that hasn't necessarily made them better drivers. Having them ride motorcycles might weed out a few of them though, like it's weeding out a few of us.  :giggles Head up; eyes up, plenty of space, and as the cops say, "no sudden moves" provide the best chance of one-piece moto-arrival. YouTube is filled with videos of people in cars suddenly stopping—or pulling out—in front of other cars, tractor-trailer trucks, buses and even trains. Why would anybody think a motorcycle is something they'll see any better?

Where I've lived in the Deep South, walking away from something like this was referred to as a warning, not a judgement. The question I'd ask myself after repeated accidents and close calls is,"Do I want to make the judgement after all these warnings, or do I want a judgement imposed upon me?"
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles
I wept because I had no radials until I met a man who had no splines.
https://tinyurl.com/RillRider

Tags: