Author Topic: Triple S  (Read 7327 times)

Offline Laitch

• ^ Quintessential Motobricker
Re: Triple S
« Reply #225 on: July 09, 2018, 06:40:23 AM »
Thanks to global warming they've been 400 warm miles . . .
Is that a greenhouse gas complaint I hear coming from the North Sea oil region, or jubilation? :giggles  Anyway, I hope you ride thousands of comfortable miles—be they steeped in appropriate soddeness or bathed in foreboding balminess—on that non-pareil example of semi-queered–out mobility.
  :2thumbup:
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75T 68,000 miles
I wept because I had no radials until I met a man who had no splines.

Offline DJEwen

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
« Reply #226 on: July 09, 2018, 09:42:46 AM »
Is that a greenhouse gas complaint I hear coming from the North Sea oil region, or jubilation? :giggles  Anyway, I hope you ride thousands of comfortable miles—be they steeped in appropriate soddeness or bathed in foreboding balminess—on that non-pareil example of semi-queered–out mobility.
  :2thumbup:

A word smith as always, Laich. Jubilation of course, I doubt my current vehicle collection allows me greenhouse gas complaint :giggles

There's an event this weekend, I'm going to enter the brick in the show, the prizes are silver Quaich's, hopefully filled, these are some of the category's:

-Best Bike in Show
-Best Classic
-Best Non-British
-Best Alternative
-Best Paint
-Best Engineering
-Best Bike voted by Public

• Scotland
  • 1985 K100, 1987 K100 LT

Offline DJEwen

« Reply #227 on: July 10, 2018, 03:34:01 PM »
This is my attempt at rectifying the damage caused to the RHS seam where the tank leaked. Fingers crossed it comes out alright.

• Scotland

Offline Laitch

« Reply #228 on: July 10, 2018, 04:14:15 PM »
This is my attempt at rectifying the damage caused to the RHS seam where the tank leaked. Fingers crossed it comes out alright.
Is this another way of saying that the coating of the tank's interior didn't work?
  • 1995 K75T 68,000 miles

Offline DJEwen

« Reply #229 on: July 10, 2018, 04:26:07 PM »
Is this another way of saying that the coating of the tank's interior didn't work?

No, no. The coating on the tank worked perfectly.

The tank didn’t leak before it went for paint, didn’t leak once immediately filled afterwards, or four hours later. It wasn’t until the following day that I realised fuel had migrated through overnight and had removed the paint in the RHS step. That was what prompted the POR15 repair, which worked perfectly, I’m only now rectifying the paint damage.
  • Scotland

Offline DJEwen

« Reply #230 on: July 10, 2018, 04:26:47 PM »
I forgot to share this. I tried on a spare cafe seat I have.

Will be selling this shortly.
  • Scotland

Offline Laitch

« Reply #231 on: July 10, 2018, 04:36:47 PM »
I'm glad to hear that the product worked well. Tank leaks can strike any of us, regardless of political affiliation or handedness.
  • 1995 K75T 68,000 miles

Offline DJEwen

« Reply #232 on: July 10, 2018, 04:42:44 PM »
I'm glad to hear that the product worked well. Tank leaks can strike any of us, regardless of political affiliation or handedness.

Thanks, Laitch. I wish I had just done it as a matter of course in the first place. Should I ever build another, this will form part of the process regardless of tank condition.

Lessons learned.
  • Scotland

Offline DJEwen

« Reply #233 on: July 11, 2018, 03:38:12 PM »
The touch-up came out alright;

Got a shock at how dirty the oil seems already. I’m 602 miles in now. Like any internal combustion engine I suspect this is normal?

• Scotland

Offline Skunky

« Reply #234 on: July 12, 2018, 12:18:02 PM »

Got a shock at how dirty the oil seems already. I’m 602 miles in now. Like any internal combustion engine I suspect this is normal?

That's what you get for changing the sight glass. The rest of us can blame fogged up glass for the dirty looking oil.  :hehehe. Anyway that looks reasonably clean to me. When its black its dirty.
  • Derby GB
  • BMW K100lt
Rebuild it and they will come..
90 K100lt

Offline alabrew

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #235 on: July 12, 2018, 12:57:03 PM »
And you can't get all the dirty oil out so it mixes with the new.
  • Alabama
  • 1985 K100, 1991 K100RS
Also:
2005 K1200LT
1979 R65
200,000 miles on BMW motorcycles

Offline DJEwen

« Reply #236 on: July 12, 2018, 03:36:21 PM »
That's what you get for changing the sight glass

No half jobs here  :neener:

Anyway that looks reasonably clean to me. When its black its dirty.

Sweet  :2thumbup:

And you can't get all the dirty oil out so it mixes with the new.

Plays havoc with my OCD  :giggles
  • Scotland

Offline DJEwen

« Reply #237 on: July 12, 2018, 03:44:02 PM »
The new turn signals arrived so I set to work:

OLD

NEW

The eagle eyed of you will have noticed my tail light is smashed :( Design flaw on my part. Strangely I hadn’t considered it being ravaged by stones off the back tyre... anyway, new one is on order and I’ve marked out a deflection plate in some 1mm steel which I’ll spray black and install with the new unit, should be unnoticeable. Luckily the actual LEDs are red and not just a red lense so I’m safe for the moment.

Really happy with the turn signals.
  • Scotland

Offline Skunky

« Reply #238 on: July 12, 2018, 04:14:53 PM »
Sharp, bright and looking good.  :clap:. Will you get your new back light before the show this weekend.

• Derby GB
  • BMW K100lt
Rebuild it and they will come..
90 K100lt

Offline DJEwen

« Reply #239 on: July 12, 2018, 04:56:46 PM »
Sharp, bright and looking good.  :clap:. Will you get your new back light before the show this weekend.

Thanks to you, Skunky!!

Unfortunately not, it won’t arrive until Tue/Wed. Not going to win any prizes for a smashed tail light but there’s always next time.
  • Scotland

Offline DJEwen

« Reply #240 on: July 13, 2018, 04:28:36 PM »
I didn’t ride her for three days and now she’s angry.

I went out to ride her to the gas station for a top-up ahead of the run to the event tomorrow. No start, no start, no start.
Pulled the tank 4 pin, cleaned, dried, no start. Pulled the FICU plug, cleaned, dried, no start. Tank off, 4 pin, no start, ICU clean, dry, no start.  :dunno2: Pulled the FICU plug again, cleaned, dried and she started on full choke but when given any throttle, died. This went on for about 5 minutes until she was a little warmer but then would not stay running unless the throttle was open even on full choke.
I let her die, threw on my helmet, jumped on started and rode off. Once the bike was up to temp I closed the choke. First set of lights she died but then restarted off choke and idled fine. This was a hit or miss for the next 10 junctions/lights, the ride between each set of lights was a mixture of no issue or a miss firing feeling as if running out of fuel, very spluttey, feeling starved.

Got fuel but then half a mile from home she died at the side of the road. I restarted her and no complaints, rode home, pulled up to the garage and she died.

What do you guys think? Fuel Pump, injectors, FPR, electrical. Potentially the pump is too far down in the holder as Laitch once experienced. FYI the filter is new and the bike was running perfectly when parked-up on Monday.
It’s worth noting also, I changed the fuel sender on Monday when I painted the tank seam... could this be a problematic 4 pin?

I have a video here, the bike is at temp and maintaining an idle now albeit erratic:

• Scotland

Offline DJEwen

« Reply #241 on: July 13, 2018, 05:53:08 PM »
I didn’t ride her for three days and now she’s angry.

I went out to ride her to the gas station for a top-up ahead of the run to the event tomorrow. No start, no start, no start.
Pulled the tank 4 pin, cleaned, dried, no start. Pulled the FICU plug, cleaned, dried, no start. Tank off, 4 pin, no start, ICU clean, dry, no start.  :dunno2: Pulled the FICU plug again, cleaned, dried and she started on full choke but when given any throttle, died. This went on for about 5 minutes until she was a little warmer but then would not stay running unless the throttle was open even on full choke.
I let her die, threw on my helmet, jumped on started and rode off. Once the bike was up to temp I closed the choke. First set of lights she died but then restarted off choke and idled fine. This was a hit or miss for the next 10 junctions/lights, the ride between each set of lights was a mixture of no issue or a miss firing feeling as if running out of fuel, very spluttey, feeling starved.

Got fuel but then half a mile from home she died at the side of the road. I restarted her and no complaints, rode home, pulled up to the garage and she died.

What do you guys think? Fuel Pump, injectors, FPR, electrical. Potentially the pump is too far down in the holder as Laitch once experienced. FYI the filter is new and the bike was running perfectly when parked-up on Monday.
It’s worth noting also, I changed the fuel sender on Monday when I painted the tank seam... could this be a problematic 4 pin?

I have a video here, the bike is at temp and maintaining an idle now albeit erratic:

Reading this post back to myself I realised I was forgetting Law #3, trouble shooting: Look where you last worked. Went back in the garage, drained the tank, pulled the pump, disconnected the new old sender, removed the new old sender, reinstalled the old old sender, boxed everything back up, started, no complaints went for a 3 mile run, borderline perfect.

Cinderella shall go to the ball.
  • Scotland

Offline Laitch

« Reply #242 on: July 13, 2018, 06:30:47 PM »
. . ;. disconnected the new old sender, removed the new old sender, reinstalled the old old sender . . .Cinderella shall go to the ball.
Why was there a new old sender in there anyway—treatment by part substitution via the shotgun approach? Don't run over any glass slippers.
  • 1995 K75T 68,000 miles

Offline alabrew

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #243 on: July 13, 2018, 06:35:57 PM »
So it probably was the 4 pin into the tank? Can't figure out why the fuel sender (fuel level sensor?) would cause poor idle?
  • Alabama
  • 1985 K100, 1991 K100RS
Also:
2005 K1200LT
1979 R65
200,000 miles on BMW motorcycles

Offline rbm

« Reply #244 on: July 13, 2018, 06:55:14 PM »
This seems to be the year for dodgy fuel level senders.  I'm read about half a dozen or so different threads where internals on the senders suddenly go intermittent.  Every year it's something -- dodgy HES, dodgy ECUs, gummed up injectors.  It's inevitable.
  • Regards, Robert
Toronto, Ontario

1987 K75 - Build Blog @http://k75retro.blogspot.ca/
2011 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

Offline The Mighty Gryphon

« Reply #245 on: July 13, 2018, 08:00:29 PM »
This seems to be the year for dodgy fuel level senders.  I'm read about half a dozen or so different threads where internals on the senders suddenly go intermittent.  Every year it's something -- dodgy HES, dodgy ECUs, gummed up injectors.  It's inevitable.

Clusters of sprag problems, leaking tanks, etc.  The srevivce issue of the year.  How does that work???
  • In my garage in Marilla, NY
  • '94 K75RT Mystic Red, '92K100RS White, '94 K75S Dakar Yellow
Current:
'94 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
'94 K75S "Cheetos"
'91 K100RS "Moby Brick Too

Offline DJEwen

« Reply #246 on: July 14, 2018, 02:47:33 PM »
Why was there a new old sender in there anyway—treatment by part substitution via the shotgun approach?

Page 1, post #22, the original sender plug connection was fire damaged. I dressed it up with some heat shrink and electrical tape but that half assed approach was not the direction this build went in and I’d have been embarrassed to ever sell it in that state so purchased a new used one from my local motor works. I did notice the plug connection wasn’t great, the fire damaged one was nice and tight whereas the replacement one was more like throwing a hotdog down a rabbit hole.

So it probably was the 4 pin into the tank? Can't figure out why the fuel sender (fuel level sensor?) would cause poor idle?

Potentially the 4 pin connection itself yes or the internals degrading as RBM has mentioned, I’ll never know. Anyway, out with the old and in with the old... wait, what...

Inevitable concerns me. This is my only bike, think it’s time for another so I can walk away when the K is crying for something else.

• Scotland

Offline Laitch

« Reply #247 on: July 14, 2018, 02:59:30 PM »

Page 1, post #22,

Ewen 1:22

As difficult that is to envision as a tattoo, somebody might be moved to do it. :giggles
  • 1995 K75T 68,000 miles

Offline DJEwen

« Reply #248 on: July 14, 2018, 03:13:30 PM »

Ewen 1:22

As difficult that is to envision as a tattoo, somebody might be moved to do it. :giggles

Laitch, I’ll have that tattooed on my next “cheap week” holiday!
  • Scotland

Offline DJEwen

« Reply #249 on: July 14, 2018, 03:40:13 PM »
We rode up to the Tomintoul Motorcycle gathering today, I decided not to enter the bike in the comp as the prize giving wasn’t until much later on and we weren’t overnighting due to commitments tomorrow, plus, there were some real heavy duty builds there.

I instead sampled the local delicacys, chased some Haggis and tossed the cabre.

Anyways, I was two up for the journey there and back. The bike wasn’t running fantastic, felt a little lumpy, throttle wasn’t greatly responsive, a little slow and spluttery. I have yet to sync the throttle bodies, I’ll do that this week, valve clearances are all fine also- what are the causes? Vac leak? I did install the plenum mounts with gasket sealer as well as the o rings and the rubbers where all fresh so don’t expect a leak around there.

At mile 112 she started to run out of fuel, luckily the road consisted of twisties to the next gas station, she died as I was rolling in at 115 Miles. So, 115 Miles to a tank with pillion averaging 50/55mph. Does that sound like good range carrying pillion?
  • Scotland

Tags: