Author Topic: "Revive" (1985 K100 Street Scrambler Build, not a Cafe Racer)  (Read 178412 times)

Offline DJEwen

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
Re: "Revive" (Street Scrambler Build, not a Cafe Racer)
« Reply #425 on: June 26, 2019, 05:18:23 AM »
MOT tomorrow, time to bolt back on the legal yellow number-plate.

The Angry Mule passed with flying colors again, zero advisorys. 3409 miles covered.

• Scotland
  • 1985 K100 'Revive', 1987 K100 LT

Offline DJEwen

« Reply #426 on: June 26, 2019, 05:10:59 PM »
Pulled all 22 crank and cam casing screws, 3 stage polished the corrosion off them then treated them to 3 coats of clear coat.

There’s a massive motorcycle gathering next weekend and I’m going to enter the Brick in the show.

• Scotland

Offline RMT

• Curious
« Reply #427 on: July 06, 2019, 11:43:13 AM »
HI Dave
I have just finished reading your entire thread. Very inspirational and detailed. I have an 85 K100RT in very good condition that I am going to turn into a scrambler type bike. Your details included in your thread about the build has given me the motivation that it is possible to make a great bike out of the old brick.

Thanks for writing the tread and including all the pictures. Your bike looks fantastic.

Cheers
Rick
1985 BMW K100RT
2008 KLR 650

Offline DJEwen

« Reply #428 on: July 07, 2019, 12:51:48 PM »
HI Dave
I have just finished reading your entire thread. Very inspirational and detailed. I have an 85 K100RT in very good condition that I am going to turn into a scrambler type bike. Your details included in your thread about the build has given me the motivation that it is possible to make a great bike out of the old brick.

Thanks for writing the tread and including all the pictures. Your bike looks fantastic.

Cheers
Rick

Hi Rick,

That’s quite possibly the most positive feedback I’ve ever had on my build on this platform, thanks very much. I’m glad it’s been inspirational.

Good luck with your build, if you have the time it’s worth documenting it. Give me a shout if I can help you out with anything.

Cheers

Dave
  • Scotland

Offline DJEwen

« Reply #429 on: July 13, 2019, 12:54:25 PM »
A local photographer and motorcycle enthusiast spotted my moto at a recent bike event and asked if he could shoot it, of course he could! These are a few previews he has sent through.

• Scotland

Offline DJEwen

« Reply #430 on: July 16, 2019, 05:07:22 AM »
Finalised shots by @photomoto.co  :yes

• Scotland

Offline DJEwen

« Reply #431 on: July 16, 2019, 01:53:59 PM »
Well, it is really, really quiet on here.

Current status, bike is up on the lift partially stripped. The battery was disconnected for 4 days and upon reconnecting the Acewell Speedo seemed to no longer be picking up RPM. After a couple of failed tests Acewell asked me to undertake, the speedo has been removed to be returned to Acewell for repair or replacement under warranty.

Today, after much research, I ordered some new tyres. The Heidenau K60’s have covered 3760 miles and have done well however the rear has squared off so much that it’s really not a very nice experience when it rocks over the edge. The front is still quite round and arguably has plenty life but they will make a nice wall ornament in the garage.

Front:

Rear:

I’ve ordered a set of Metzeler Tourance, both rear tyres in the following fitments: 120/80-18 (TT) & 140/80-17. I’ll reverse the rotation of the front mounted rear this time. They appear more road friendly but still retain an aggressive look I think, well, fingers crossed anyway.

• Scotland

Offline DJEwen

« Reply #432 on: July 19, 2019, 06:13:56 PM »
My new cowboy boots are on.

• Scotland

Offline Supershooter

« Reply #433 on: July 19, 2019, 09:46:50 PM »
Why do you put a rear tire on the front and then reverse its orientation?
Supershooter
  • Liberty Township, O'brien County, Iowa
  • 85 K100 RT

Offline DJEwen

« Reply #434 on: July 20, 2019, 04:29:21 AM »
Why do you put a rear tire on the front and then reverse its orientation?
Supershooter

This is my understanding of it: The first reason is because I have no choice with this type as there is no 18” front option. The second reason is because these tyres, like many others unless otherwise stated are directional because of the way they are manufactured in that the rubber is wrapped rotationally around the tyre, this is suited to the back wheel as it’s delivering the forward momentum. The front wheel does nearly all of the braking however which would be opposing forces to the manufacturer rotation, by reversing the front rotation, when you load the tyre under braking the forces are applied in the correct direction.
  • Scotland

Offline DJEwen

« Reply #435 on: August 23, 2019, 06:09:08 AM »
An update on the latest with my K. At the beginning of the month I went to go out for a ride and the bike wouldn't start, after a couple of attempts at turning her over I started to smell fuel, upon looking further It was pouring out of the exhaust.

Motobricker's of this forum and Vogle's trouble shooting guide told me that my 34 year old Water Temperature Sensor had failed. I ordered a new one, drained the coolant, dropped the radiator and removed the offending item. It was difficult to get at with a socket and long reach socket so I cut through the connector then removed with a standard socket. Others have said it's easy to get at by removing the air box, that's debatable but it did give me to opportunity to check my coolant, which was still immaculately clean so was saved to be returned to the cooling system.

I tested then installed the new sensor, put the bike back together, added the coolant, started her and let her get up to temperature, the fan kicked in and out so I took her out on the road. Out on the road the bike would miss-fire and splutter under wide open throttle demand. I went home, pulled the plugs, cleaned them with brake cleaner, blowtorch a wire brush then re-gapped them to 0.6-0.7mm. It was evident they had been fuel saturated during the failure of the old temperature sensor. I reinstated them and went back out on the road, the misfire under WOT had been eradicated.

That weekend I went out on a 'spirited' run with a few others. It was pretty much WOT blasts trying to avoid the fast moving rain clouds. The bike managed 140+ miles with no issues and upon the final 1 mile stretch from my house under WOT the bike began to miss and splutter again.

I put the bike on the lift and pulled and tested the HT Leads. I couldn't get a reading from 2 of the leads but that may have been down to reach of my multi meter probes. I wasn't able to pull the HT Leads apart and restore them during the build as they are sealed units but I did the best I could to clean them up, looking in the ends of them now and they are quite tatty looking so due a replacement (now there is more budget for that).

I tested both coils, #1/4 read 2.6 on the input but only 10.5 on the output (should be around 12.6)

I ordered a replacement used coil from Motorworks and a new set of RAM Power leads from BSK Speedworks (reasonably priced) tested them and installed them in the moto.

I took the bike out on the road and the missfire has again been erradicated. All is well. Until the next time.

Additionally and unfortunately, again the 4L thermistor in the fuel level sender has failed and I now have a permanently illuminated fuel light again. Frustrating. I have been in communication with Digikey, Mouser, Future Electronics, RS Components and most recently Microchip Technology and no one can provide nor manufacture any 600 Ohms at 25°C, 0.5 watts and negative temperature coefficient type thermistor's that are used in the early pre-float type fuel level senders. What I'm told by all these suppliers is that BMW would have had the thermistor's specifically manufactured for the production of the early K series. Mouser have suggested I go directly to Panasonic, they appear to be the only people left. How lucky do ya feel...
  • Scotland

Offline DJEwen

« Reply #436 on: August 27, 2019, 11:38:27 AM »
I’m off for 5 days camping around the Outer Hebrides with 4 other bikes/riders.

• Scotland

Offline Skunky

• ^ SuperNatural Motobricker
« Reply #437 on: August 27, 2019, 03:13:26 PM »

Additionally and unfortunately, again the 4L thermistor in the fuel level sender has failed and I now have a permanently illuminated fuel light again. Frustrating. I have been in communication with Digikey, Mouser, Future Electronics, RS Components and most recently Microchip Technology and no one can provide nor manufacture any 600 Ohms at 25°C, 0.5 watts and negative temperature coefficient type thermistor's that are used in the early pre-float type fuel level senders. What I'm told by all these suppliers is that BMW would have had the thermistor's specifically manufactured for the production of the early K series. Mouser have suggested I go directly to Panasonic, they appear to be the only people left. How lucky do ya feel...

Have you not got a fuel sender in the parts bike ?
  • Derby GB
  • BMW K100lt
Rebuild it and they will come..
90 K100lt
Triumph Thruxton 900
Honda CB400F

Offline DJEwen

« Reply #438 on: August 27, 2019, 03:28:07 PM »
Have you not got a fuel sender in the parts bike ?

No, Skunky, it’s the later float type.
  • Scotland

Offline Skunky

• ^ SuperNatural Motobricker
« Reply #439 on: August 27, 2019, 04:08:16 PM »
No, Skunky, it’s the later float type.
If your only using the fuel light you should be able to use the float type or the older type especially as your using a non stock speedo and idiot lights. Mine is a 90 and has the float but I only had the light as standard. When I fitted the cheap chinese speedo I was able to use it for the gauge. I think the tank is the same on both.
  • Derby GB
  • BMW K100lt
Rebuild it and they will come..
90 K100lt
Triumph Thruxton 900
Honda CB400F

Offline DJEwen

« Reply #440 on: September 03, 2019, 05:35:13 AM »
Here’s a wee overview of our Outer Hebrides trip. The moto managed 800 miles over 5 days in mixed conditions without missing a beat, this included me dropping it 100 miles in.

• Scotland

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
« Reply #441 on: September 03, 2019, 08:19:49 AM »
Well done, David!
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles
I wept because I had no radials until I met a man who had no splines.
https://tinyurl.com/RillRider
Agree Agree x 1 View List

Offline volador

• NEEDS MORE CHROME
« Reply #442 on: September 03, 2019, 01:37:16 PM »
Good on you! A GS type in your future, maybe?
  • NYC NY
  • 1991 K100RS 1993 K75S ABS
5 BOROUGHS SISYPHEAN SOCIETY  MAINTAINING THE OBSESSION

Offline DJEwen

« Reply #443 on: September 03, 2019, 05:12:54 PM »
Well done, David!

Thanks, Laitch.

Good on you! A GS type in your future, maybe?

Thanks, Volador. Yes, I think so. I’ll need to test a few things but I do really like the look of the GS, I quite favour the Khaki green ones.
  • Scotland

Offline volador

• NEEDS MORE CHROME
« Reply #444 on: September 03, 2019, 06:11:19 PM »
I quite favour the Khaki green ones.

But of course with leather GS seat, trim and accessories :bmwsmile
  • NYC NY
  • 1991 K100RS 1993 K75S ABS
5 BOROUGHS SISYPHEAN SOCIETY  MAINTAINING THE OBSESSION

Offline DJEwen

« Reply #445 on: September 11, 2019, 09:32:47 AM »
On the last Sunday of this month, the 29th of September, I will be dusting off my most dapper attire with my fellow men and women across the world to join The Distinguished Gentleman's Ride in effort to raise awareness for men's mental health and prostate cancer.

Before I clean and polish my bike and dig out my best wardrobe, I would kindly ask you to please donate what you can for this meaningful cause and help me reach my target by clicking the link below and supporting me.

For your uncles, your brothers, your fathers and friends. Donate what you can, for their lives need not end.

Thanking you kindly,

David

https://www.gentlemansride.com/rider/DavidEwen317917

• Scotland

Offline johnny

• TrailBrakingThrottleWhacker
  • Whacking...n...Chopping Sliding...n...High Siding
« Reply #446 on: September 11, 2019, 09:43:53 AM »
greetings...

if yous would stay away from them longhair scottish highland cattle calves maybe yous would not be mentaly ill...

* Screenshot_20190911-084614.jpg (45.51 kB . 535x576 - viewed 775 times)

j o
  • :johnny i parks my 96 eleven hundert rs motobrick in dodge county cheezconsin  :johnny

Offline DJEwen

« Reply #447 on: September 11, 2019, 09:58:44 AM »
greetings...

if yous would stay away from them longhair scottish highland cattle calves maybe yous would not be mentaly ill...

j o

A hink we need tae spend mare time wae the Coo's.
  • Scotland

Offline DJEwen

« Reply #448 on: October 01, 2019, 09:11:07 AM »
Thank you very much to those of you who kindly donated to my efforts in raising funds for prostate cancer and men's health on behalf of the Movember foundation during the 2019 Distinguished Gentleman's Ride.

I was the 2nd highest fundraiser in Aberdeen of 116 persons and 5th highest fundraiser in Scotland out of 537 registered riders, this was only achieved thanks to your kind donations, thank you very much!

The event was covered by my local P&J paper: https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/news/aberdeen/1854281/dapper-bikers-ride-through-aberdeen-for-mens-health-charities/

• Scotland

Offline bobvans

Re: Triple S
« Reply #449 on: October 06, 2019, 11:05:46 PM »
As I mentioned before, the original painted mild steel mesh on the radiator had deteriorated and rusted. I ordered stainless mesh, stainless steel etching primer and some gloss black spray paint with a view to replacing like for like without the concern of  the mesh rusting when stone chipped.

What a great idea!  I removed the radiator cowl as my first step towards my naked bike and I forgot that it had a mesh screen to protect the radiator.  With it removed, I have no protection against flying rocks or whatever else might get kicked up.  I'm going to follow your lead.  How did you mount the mesh to the radiator?
  • Vancouver, WA. USA
  • '85 K100 (Red), '96 K1100RS (Graphite), '85 K100RS (Blue, "Project Bike")