Author Topic: "Revive" (1985 K100 Street Scrambler Build, not a Cafe Racer)  (Read 178400 times)

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
Re: Triple S
« Reply #325 on: March 17, 2019, 01:08:12 PM »
I’ll have a look over the downloads section at C4R, my current trolls of the interwebs have produced no one else mounting a CA85 with BEP on pre float, at least not documented, . . .

I hadn’t even considered air flow/turbulence. I’m looking at a sheet on fleebay, it’s 5 mesh which has an aperture of 4.5mm, apparently that creates a 74% open area, here’s a link: https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F401489794572 What do you think?
Like I wrote, the CA and the MA probably have similar fuel light paths. I think your blue wire needs to get with the program somehow. :giggles

One way to determine screen differences would be to attach streamers to them then point a fan or leaf blower at them and compare the effects. That's the obsessive approach preferred by moto-theorists. The simplest approach is just to be mindful of the possible effect and enjoy the ride. If the moto fan seems to run more often than your experience indicates it should, and the coolant is at the right level, it might be worth investigating the screen as one of the causes. Until then, forget about it.
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles
I wept because I had no radials until I met a man who had no splines.
https://tinyurl.com/RillRider

Offline natalena

• ^ SuperNatural Motobricker
« Reply #326 on: March 17, 2019, 04:26:41 PM »
Bravo, that expanded steel mesh was what I was thinking about, and your application looks really clean and tidy. Just for style, it might look cool to have a logo stencil sprayed on the mesh. Cheers
  • MST
  • 1987 K75s #0919, '05 Sportster 1200C
We don't need no stinkin' moly.

Offline DJEwen

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
« Reply #327 on: March 18, 2019, 10:14:18 AM »
I think your blue wire needs to get with the program somehow. :giggles

But HOW

:help:
  • Scotland
  • 1985 K100 'Revive', 1987 K100 LT

Offline Laitch

• Administrator
« Reply #328 on: March 18, 2019, 10:37:29 AM »
Step-by-step. To what is the yellow wire currently in the BAR port connected?
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline DJEwen

« Reply #329 on: March 18, 2019, 10:53:40 AM »
To what is the yellow wire currently in the BAR port connected?

Alpha Plug, Check Engine or Fuel.
  • Scotland

Offline Laitch

• Administrator
« Reply #330 on: March 18, 2019, 11:30:54 AM »
Alpha Plug, Check Engine or Fuel.
To what does the blue wire at WRN connect?
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline DJEwen

« Reply #331 on: March 18, 2019, 12:25:02 PM »
To what does the blue wire at WRN connect?

Bravo Plug, Check Engine or Fuel.
  • Scotland

Offline DJEwen

« Reply #332 on: March 19, 2019, 08:56:21 AM »
I called Acewell for some technical support on the fuel light indication trouble shooting. The gentleman at Acewell explained to me that many of the gauges share common circuitry and that my gauge has less warning lights/indicators than some others and because of this the fuel lamp in my gauge is also used as a battery light and will extinguish once the bike is started (provided the fuel level isn’t low). This is where I have been failing in my fault finding, after switching between both A or B plugs I never started the bike, I only turned on the ignition to see if the lamp was still illuminated. Had it been documented in the user manual for my gauge, I would have know this, but... it’s not. I’ll get this tested tonight!

Additionally, my stainless fasteners have arrived to replace the offending rusty items, I’m still awaiting the washers however.

• Scotland

Offline DJEwen

« Reply #333 on: March 19, 2019, 04:57:12 PM »
Out I went armed with my new found knowledge from the Acewell experts, removed the seat and tank, swapped A-Yellow for B-Blue, reinstalled the tank, started the bike and waited for the light to extinguish, and waited, and waited... glad I wasn’t holding my breath because as sure as water is wet, the light never went out  :dunno2: I’ll call them again tomorrow.

The new 250mm Goodridge hose arrived so I installed that and bled the front brakes, back to fully operational.

As part of my clean up of the less than shiny bits, I decided to wrap the exhaust headers, I purchased a 20m roll of exhaust wrap, a 30m roll of wire lock, neither of which I had used before, some new gloves and set to work. After removing the full  exhaust and dampening the whole roll of exhaust wrap under the cold tap I started on the rearmost pipe as practice and worked my way forward to the longer pipes. It’s not exactly difficult, wrapping fabric and twisting wire. The material seemed to take on a different rigidity/form as I worked through but this is likely from my constant vigorous untwisting whilst trying to keep the wrap tight as I wrapped the pipes off the roll, a pair of hands behind me would have helped with this to untwist as it spooled off the roll or accurate measuring and cutting for each pipe but I wanted to avoid wastage as I had no idea how much I’d use.

• Scotland

Offline DJEwen

« Reply #334 on: March 21, 2019, 04:33:25 PM »
Five parcels arrived at work today for the big push to having the bike being ready for this Sunday’s meet.
I have now replaced nearly every rusty offending fastener with a new stainless steel one, the only ones I’m waiting on are the 22x cam and crank case cover fasteners with seals.

As I mentioned before, the original painted mild steel mesh on the radiator had deteriorated and rusted. I ordered stainless mesh, stainless steel etching primer and some gloss black spray paint with a view to replacing like for like without the concern of  the mesh rusting when stone chipped. I cut down the new ‘5 mesh’ to suit and as I was trial fitting ahead of painting I realised I actually quite liked it unpainted so I dressed the edges with rubber edging strip and anchored it with some Revotec pull through ties, these are designed for attaching aftermarket fans to radiators I believe and probably overkill but no harm in a bit of belt and braces- do you think I should paint it?

On Saturday I’ll try and finalise the fuel indication issue and give "Revive" a much needed bath.

• Scotland

Offline natalena

« Reply #335 on: March 21, 2019, 08:36:49 PM »
I like the grill in plain SS, kind of picks up on the forks and tank cap, and ties in nicely. The mesh looks way better than the expanded steel. Nicely done!
  • MST

Offline DJEwen

« Reply #336 on: March 22, 2019, 04:49:09 PM »
I like the grill in plain SS, kind of picks up on the forks and tank cap, and ties in nicely. The mesh looks way better than the expanded steel. Nicely done!

Thanks, Natalena. I’m happy with it, it does tie in with the other components like you say.

I was packing up some of the old panels/parts yesterday and offered up the old chrome crash bars to the bike... one of them is slightly damaged but thick enough powder coat would cover it. I’m thinking I might get them powder coated black gloss, get some new end caps and install them. Thoughts?
  • Scotland

Offline DJEwen

« Reply #337 on: March 23, 2019, 01:29:50 PM »
I still haven’t sorted the fuel light issue...

I have finished the front end though, got the Moto off the lift, gave her a wash and went for a road test.
New bars feel great, bike seems to turn in better. Difficult to say yet whether I’ll have made the ride uncomfortable as I only covered 22 miles but will be doing 300 miles tomorrow so will have a better idea then. I really like the fork gaiters and SS radiator mesh. I’m going to have the crash bars powdercoated and re-mount them.

• Scotland

Offline DJEwen

« Reply #338 on: March 25, 2019, 10:27:11 AM »
Yesterdays ride to the Bo'ness Annual Motorcycle Gathering was an interesting one, the temperature was in the single figures, there was wind forecast for the whole route and there was a 40% chance or rain half way down but when I came out in the morning the sun was shining so shruuged it off and put on my helmet.

We ended up getting caught in a 4 mile stretch of torrential rain on the way to the event and I was soaked to the bone which made the already challenging bike ride home even harder and even more difficult to control in the gusting winds. Never in my life have I been as cold as I was last night.

Nevertheless the day was great overall, met some lovely people, saw some cool bikes and best of all the Moto never missed a beat, she done around 300 miles over 10 hours and achieved 47.9mpg (US) / 39.9mpg Imperial.

• Scotland

Offline natalena

« Reply #339 on: March 25, 2019, 01:40:38 PM »
Looks like a fine gathering of petrol heads! Keep racking up the miles, as it's great to hear a café racer is actually used for ... well scooting to the café :) Where in Scotland are you? A close buddy used to be on the SAR team at Ben Nevis, died a few years ago on the hill.
  • MST

Offline DJEwen

« Reply #340 on: March 25, 2019, 02:26:11 PM »
greetings...

this is my favorite queered out brick at the moment...

j o

Cheers Jo, means a lot :)

Looks like a fine gathering of petrol heads! Keep racking up the miles, as it's great to hear a café racer is actually used for ... well scooting to the café :) Where in Scotland are you? A close buddy used to be on the SAR team at Ben Nevis, died a few years ago on the hill.

It was a not bad turn out, the weather kept many away though, atleast those with half a brain.
I’m in Aberdeen on the East Coast. Ben Nevis is a lovely area, some great twisties!
  • Scotland

Offline DJEwen

« Reply #341 on: March 25, 2019, 02:39:34 PM »
Bathed the moto and assessed the damage from the days pounding. The deflection plate hasn’t cut the mustard and I have a smashed rear lense again. It’s obviously time for a complete redesign. It’s too far down the line to go hacking into to the rear hoop, I wouldn’t want to cut into the powdercoated frame, I’m thinking the best place for the rear light would be sunk into the foam of the rear seat, something flexible and not too intrusive, the seat material could then have a window or a series of windows cut out of it, maybe with some mesh of sorts sown over the apertures and stitched round, I could then run a plug through the base and make up a watertight connection? If anyone has any good ideas or links to something similar or an ideal light then give me a shout. Thoughts welcomed.

• Scotland

Offline natalena

« Reply #342 on: March 25, 2019, 04:08:33 PM »
The round lens in the seat look's too much like a spider, totally icky.
Have you considered rolling some of that SS mesh into a tube to act as a brakelight housing, extending to the hoop edges to hide the turn signal mounting nuts?
Your first picture is great, as it looks exactly like fire suppressant foam on a tarmac.
  • MST

Offline DJEwen

« Reply #343 on: March 26, 2019, 05:57:02 AM »
The round lens in the seat look's too much like a spider, totally icky.
Have you considered rolling some of that SS mesh into a tube to act as a brakelight housing, extending to the hoop edges to hide the turn signal mounting nuts?
Your first picture is great, as it looks exactly like fire suppressant foam on a tarmac.

Haha, now you say it, it does look pretty creepy! I thought it could be run in with some stainless steel eyelets, anyway, there is no availability with the upholsterer until mid May and I'd rather not attack the seat myself as I'll probably mess it up and there's no spare material.

The mesh is a good shout for the interim but I think I really just need to get out of that area altogether, the <140mm reduction in the rear of the frame pulls the back part into close contact with the rear wheel at full travel and the shock isn't adjustable.
I have a dual light light I was initially going to install on the back that was too big, it has an integrated number plate light, I'm going to mock that up against the plate mount and see how it looks, its tail, brake and turn signal but ill just wire the licence plate light, tail and brake and leave out the turn signals. I have a 2mm sheet of Alu I can work to shape... Need a free night in the garage now :D
  • Scotland

Offline Laitch

• Administrator
« Reply #344 on: March 26, 2019, 08:59:34 AM »
. . . I think I really just need to get out of that area altogether, the <140mm reduction in the rear of the frame pulls the back part into close contact with the rear wheel at full travel . . .
Are you indicating that the tire actually touches the frame at full compression of the shock?
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline DJEwen

« Reply #345 on: March 26, 2019, 09:19:21 AM »
Are you indicating that the tire actually touches the frame at full compression of the shock?

Not the frame, at full compression it would "kiss" the rear light guard - yes, I need a shock I can adjust to prevent this, it's wasn't in the budget during the build - open to suggestions, recommendations?
  • Scotland

Offline Laitch

• Administrator
« Reply #346 on: March 26, 2019, 09:31:24 AM »
Not the frame, at full compression it would "kiss" the rear light guard - yes, I need a shock I can adjust to prevent this, it's wasn't in the budget during the build - open to suggestions, recommendations?
I think you should install a half-fender then go ahead with the string of LEDs at frame or seat height.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline Skunky

« Reply #347 on: March 26, 2019, 10:43:34 AM »
Dave with reference to your fuel light issue and the BEP3.0 hidden switches. Read this thread and there is diagram of the switches. Switch 2 controls the BAR for a warning light

switch 1 : enable/disable choke
switch 2 : fuel level selector : full bar mode or a LED at 4liter
switch 3 : enable/disable bulbtester
switch 4 : speed stabilisation
switch 5 : enable/disable blinkers

* bep-3 switches.jpg (167.43 kB . 367x420 - viewed 1040 times)

• Derby GB
  • BMW K100lt
Rebuild it and they will come..
90 K100lt
Triumph Thruxton 900
Honda CB400F
Agree Agree x 1 View List

Offline Skunky

« Reply #348 on: March 26, 2019, 11:10:36 AM »

Actually it looks from the photos like you have a Hagon shock and it looks a bit soft. I can see you're not a small unit but you should be able to go two up without hitting the frame. Why not try the standard shock off your donor bike. Set it on its hardest setting.
  • Derby GB
  • BMW K100lt
Rebuild it and they will come..
90 K100lt
Triumph Thruxton 900
Honda CB400F
Agree Agree x 1 View List

Offline DJEwen

« Reply #349 on: March 26, 2019, 11:51:11 AM »
Dave with reference to your fuel light issue and the BEP3.0 hidden switches. Read this thread and there is diagram of the switches. Switch 2 controls the BAR for a warning light

switch 1 : enable/disable choke
switch 2 : fuel level selector : full bar mode or a LED at 4liter
switch 3 : enable/disable bulbtester
switch 4 : speed stabilisation
switch 5 : enable/disable blinkers

* bep-3 switches.jpg (167.43 kB . 367x420 - viewed 1040 times)

Well fuck a duck... 

Where are you pulling that information from, Cafe4Racer? Its not in the BEP user manual, nor on Marulabs website, nor on the instructions that came with my BEP... anywhere.

This better work!  :beer:
  • Scotland