Author Topic: "Revive" (1985 K100 Street Scrambler Build, not a Cafe Racer)  (Read 178402 times)

Offline DJEwen

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
Re: Triple S
« Reply #300 on: February 04, 2019, 05:08:05 PM »
  • Scotland
  • 1985 K100 'Revive', 1987 K100 LT

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
« Reply #301 on: February 04, 2019, 07:26:31 PM »
Still brilliant!  :2thumbup:
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles
I wept because I had no radials until I met a man who had no splines.
https://tinyurl.com/RillRider

Offline DJEwen

« Reply #302 on: March 04, 2019, 07:24:01 AM »
I’ve had endless starting issues of recent where the bike would just crank and crank but not fire. After reading countless posts about similar issue where people then cleaned ignition, pulled apart altanator and starters etc I then read one single reply from a brick owner who said that every time he had this symptom he bought a new battery and it rectified the no start issue. Although my cheap 14ah 12v lead acid battery could turn the Brick over with ease, I became tired of charging it if the bike hadn’t ran for a week or two.

After further research I decided to purchase a JMT Lithium-Ion Battery hj51913, apparently this unit only looses 5% of charge per month if shelved and also has a handy triple light test button which indicates the charge level but the best part is that it only weighs a little over 1kg! The bike starts from cold at immediate touch of the starter button now. The only downside I understand, with the exception of the cost, is if the unit is completely discharged then the cells are often non recoverable.

I also purchased a one litre ‘fuel friend’ which is strapped to the battery behind the altanator and starter (no touching surfaces and plenty of air movement still)

My OEM BMW fork seals have also arrived to replace the bran new annoying as hell leaking pattern part ones. I also ordered a set of LSL street bars, these are 820mm wide so will offer a more stable almost R Nine T position over the original 660mm stock bars. I’ll change out the fork seals and bars together in the coming weeks.

• Scotland

Offline Skunky

• ^ SuperNatural Motobricker
« Reply #303 on: March 04, 2019, 07:34:35 AM »
Do you not use a trickle charger. I never have any starting issues with mine
  • Derby GB
  • BMW K100lt
Rebuild it and they will come..
90 K100lt
Triumph Thruxton 900
Honda CB400F

Offline DJEwen

« Reply #304 on: March 04, 2019, 07:41:01 AM »
Do you not use a trickle charger. I never have any starting issues with mine

Hi Gary, no, I don’t own one... yet. I’m going to see how it goes with the Lithium Ion, monitor it and trend it over a while, I’m hoping if they’re as good as they say they are that it won’t need a trickle. I’m unsure what the usage is from the digital clock on the Acewell but I’d expect not much?
  • Scotland

Offline DJEwen

« Reply #305 on: March 04, 2019, 07:49:36 AM »
I was on a long flight and put a short video together summerising the build:

• Scotland

Offline duckytran

« Reply #306 on: March 04, 2019, 11:25:54 AM »
Does this mean she's no longer on the market?
  • Austin, Texas
  • 1993 K75, 1981 R65

Offline DJEwen

« Reply #307 on: March 04, 2019, 12:07:23 PM »
Does this mean she's no longer on the market?

Correct! She got to £3800ish on fleEbay but I pulled the advert with 6 days left and over 370 watchers. I only considered it as I nearly had my hands on a 1996 CB 500 which was my first “want” but in the end decided to continue modding/perfecting ‘Triple S’. I’ve only got a 3x3m space so no room for companions. I think the starting/electrical niggles were the main driver to get rid but the procurement of this new battery seems to have got rid of every start problem, she’s not missed a command since.
  • Scotland

Offline DJEwen

« Reply #308 on: March 05, 2019, 04:15:22 AM »
The only outstanding issue I seem to have, with exception of the leaky fork seals, is that the fuel light is still permananently on, on the Acewell CA-85. The Acewell and BEP 3.0 senses the level easily with 1985 (pre float) electronic sender and it should indicate a fuel light at 7L... Those of you who have followed the build know I got a replacement BEP but I still have the light issue, and some of you will remember I replaced the fuel sender too (which ended up being dodgy) and I still had the light on with a full gas tank. Jumping back to page 6 of the thread, Martin explained the active high/low circuit, quoted below:

Yes, the BEP 3.0 has a circuit to sense 7L threshold on the pre-85 fuel sender and trigger a lamp.  The signal is active LOW meaning it goes to ground potential when activated.  This only works with inputs on the CA85 that are also active LOW.  Acewell is not specific in the manual whether the low fuel light is active HIGH or active LOW.

Does this mean that the circuits could be the wrong way round currently? I’m no Electrician...

Active high / Active low signals
Some indicator lights on the gauge activate when a +12V signal is applied to the wire.  This is termed active high.  Opening the circuit will turn off the indicator.  Internally to the gauge, the LED cathode is grounded.  An example of an active HIGH input is the turn signal indicator.

Alternatively, some of the indicator lights activate when they get grounded.  This is termed active low.  Opening the circuit to the input will turn off the indicator.  Internally to the gauge, the LED anode is connected to the +12V going to the gauge.  An example of an active LOW input is the oil pressure indicator.
  • Scotland

Offline bocutter Ed

« Reply #309 on: March 05, 2019, 11:11:39 AM »
Does this mean that the circuits could be the wrong way round currently? I’m no Electrician...
Does the fuel light go out when you've less than 7 liter in the tank? If so, yes.
  • Toronto, Canada
  • '61 Puch DS60 - '66 Puch 250 SGS - '87 BMW K75s

Offline DJEwen

« Reply #310 on: March 05, 2019, 01:41:05 PM »
Does the fuel light go out when you've less than 7 liter in the tank? If so, yes.

Hi Ed,

Nope, I have an illuminated light regardless of volume level...
  • Scotland

Offline DJEwen

« Reply #311 on: March 12, 2019, 04:56:13 PM »
The only outstanding issue I seem to have, with exception of the leaky fork seals, is that the fuel light is still permananently on, on the Acewell CA-85. The Acewell and BEP 3.0 senses the level easily with 1985 (pre float) electronic sender and it should indicate a fuel light at 7L... Those of you who have followed the build know I got a replacement BEP but I still have the light issue, and some of you will remember I replaced the fuel sender too (which ended up being dodgy) and I still had the light on with a full gas tank. Jumping back to page 6 of the thread, Martin explained the active high/low circuit, quoted below:

Hi Ed,

Nope, I have an illuminated light regardless of volume level...

Any pre float/Acewell, BEP, fuel light gurus about?
  • Scotland

Offline DJEwen

« Reply #312 on: March 14, 2019, 02:54:52 PM »
I’m all set for installing genuine fork seals this Saturday along with the LSL Street Bars. I’ve also looked out the old shock boots, inspected them and they are in great condition so will clean them up but I’m on two minds whether to install them or not? Any top tips for the install?

• Scotland

Offline Martin

« Reply #313 on: March 14, 2019, 03:35:39 PM »
To lengthen the life of your seals pack silicone grease under the dust cover. It's not as important as you're fitting gaiters but everything helps.
Regards Martin.
  • North Lakes Queensland Australia
  • 1992 K75s Hybrid, Lefaux, Vespa V twin.

Offline Laitch

• Administrator
« Reply #314 on: March 14, 2019, 06:09:46 PM »
Any pre float/Acewell, BEP, fuel light gurus about?
Which BEP connection did you use? How about a photo of the BEP with its connections?

• 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline DJEwen

« Reply #315 on: March 15, 2019, 07:57:01 AM »
To lengthen the life of your seals pack silicone grease under the dust cover. It's not as important as you're fitting gaiters but everything helps.
Regards Martin.

Thanks, Martin, I'll do that.

Which BEP connection did you use? How about a photo of the BEP with its connections?

Sure, Laitch, I'll get some photographs tomorrow. I'm not understanding the diagram you have posted, will have to review the Acewell wiring diagram.
  • Scotland

Offline Laitch

• Administrator
« Reply #316 on: March 15, 2019, 08:44:39 AM »
I'm not understanding the diagram you have posted, will have to review the Acewell wiring diagram.
This is a BEP/Acewell diagram for your model.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline DJEwen

« Reply #317 on: March 15, 2019, 09:17:13 AM »
This is a BEP/Acewell diagram for your model.

Brilliant! Where did you come across this, Laitch, I've never seen such a diagram?

In the office right now so have no access to take a clear image but here's one from earlier on in the build, on first glance there is a bit of a disconnect from what's in the diagram you posted VS my current terminations, all function with the exception of the fuel lamp.

• Scotland

Offline Laitch

• Administrator
« Reply #318 on: March 15, 2019, 10:08:50 AM »
Where did you come across this, Laitch, I've never seen such a diagram?
It's for a CA085 rather than an MA085. It came from cafe4racer's Marulab BEP download section.

In the left column, where do the blue WRN wire and the yellow G4 wire terminate? Based on my interpretation of the diagram and not knowing your answer to my question, I'd swap the positions of those wires in the left column array but only because it's your moto and the consequences are an ocean away. :giggles
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline DJEwen

« Reply #319 on: March 17, 2019, 04:37:23 AM »
It's for a CA085 rather than an MA085. It came from cafe4racer's Marulab BEP download section.

In the left column, where do the blue WRN wire and the yellow G4 wire terminate? Based on my interpretation of the diagram and not knowing your answer to my question, I'd swap the positions of those wires in the left column array but only because it's your moto and the consequences are an ocean away. :giggles

My gauge is the CA85 but that wiring diagram you posted doesn’t seem to align with the wiring diagram that came with my gauge, I’ll need to have a search through that C4R downloads section.

The yellow G4? I’m not sure I’m following you, Laitch as there are no gear positions (G4) indicated anyway- yesterday I tried both Yellow A and Blue B both terminated to BAR with a full gas tank and still had an illuminated light, I even tried them both together to no avail.

I’d love to ride the bike around the North Coast 500 but I don’t quite fancy it without the fuel level indicator  :giggles

• Scotland

Offline DJEwen

« Reply #320 on: March 17, 2019, 05:01:40 AM »
Yesterday the stripdown and change-out of the leaking pattern part fork seals for OEM ones and the installation of the fork gaitors was a success, do not buy PYRAMID PARTS fork seals, most of you already know that. I wasn’t sure I fancied running the fork boots but now they’re on I think they flow with the black line of the bike just fine. I was surprised at how filthy the fork oil was.

What do you think of the fork boots and new bars?

The installation of the LSL Street Bars was mostly a success however the standard (naked) 170mm upper brake hose wasn’t long enough to meet the master cylinder in its new wider position so I’ve ordered a (high handle bars) 250mm one which should fit OK as the new position measures 220mm centre to centre. I really like the initial feel/position of the bars, feels more planted.
Unfortunately the internal diameter of the LSL bars doesn’t allow for the original bar ends so I’ve ordered some replacement weighted ones to fit the new 13mm ID.

There were many fasteners that didn’t come with the Stainless Steel fastener kit(s) I used during the build so I individually polished the original screw caps up on the abrasive wheel, treated, coated then re-installed. I live on the coast in Scotland so it hasn’t taken long for them all to corrode again- yesterday I individually pulled every rusty fixing, measured and ordered a replacement in stainless steel - yes, should have done this in the first place, you could call this anal but it’s annoying as hell when the rest of the bike is immaculate, the rusty fasteners just let it down

• Scotland

Offline natalena

« Reply #321 on: March 17, 2019, 07:45:24 AM »
Your gaiters look stellar, and better yet, actually perform an important job.
The bars are very reminiscent of what we used to sport back in the late 70's, early 80's (Superbike bend) remember the BOTT and Dave Emde, or Lawson levering the Kawi over in lurid 2 wheel drifts? I think it's more authentic than the strap-ons so popular with CR's, although I did clamp on Tommaselli's to lay on the tanks.
Have you considered a small rectangle of heavy mesh to protect the center of the radiator from stones? Looks like it's the natural debris line from the pics.
Nice effort, now for some proper rearsets and a Micron Oil Additive sticker. ;)
  • MST
  • 1987 K75s #0919, '05 Sportster 1200C
We don't need no stinkin' moly.

Offline DJEwen

« Reply #322 on: March 17, 2019, 08:01:16 AM »
Your gaiters look stellar, and better yet, actually perform an important job.
The bars are very reminiscent of what we used to sport back in the late 70's, early 80's (Superbike bend) remember the BOTT and Dave Emde, or Lawson levering the Kawi over in lurid 2 wheel drifts? I think it's more authentic than the strap-ons so popular with CR's, although I did clamp on Tommaselli's to lay on the tanks.
Have you considered a small rectangle of heavy mesh to protect the center of the radiator from stones? Looks like it's the natural debris line from the pics.
Nice effort, now for some proper rearsets and a Micron Oil Additive sticker. ;)

Thanks, they have grown on me overnight, I think they are actually quite fitting in the direction of style the bike went.

Wish I knew who you were talking about, I’m just 32 and motorcycles are very new to me!

The radiator is meshed, it’s way back in page 3, I actually have the front fender from the other bike, considering cutting it similar but further round at the back:

• Scotland

Offline Laitch

• Administrator
« Reply #323 on: March 17, 2019, 08:54:06 AM »
I’m not sure I’m following you, Laitch as there are no gear positions (G4) indicated anyway- yesterday I tried both Yellow A and Blue B both terminated to BAR with a full gas tank and still had an illuminated light, I even tried them both together to no avail. . . .
I’d love to ride the bike around the North Coast 500 but I don’t quite fancy it without the fuel level indicator  :giggles
It would be impossible to follow me because I misidentified the wiring port. The BAR port should receive either a blue or grey wire according to the diagram I supplied. Yours has a yellow wire. The diagram is actually for an MA rather than a CA; the fuel indicator wiring routes are likely the same though for both models.

If the Acewell's odometer operates and you've learned your moto's average mixed-driving fuel economy by riding your moto with a full tank until it's empty, calculating the mpg then refilling it with the gallon of fuel you cleverly carried along with you to enable your return trip, riding the North Coast 500 using your odometer for fuel consumption calculation should be no problem.

Regarding radiator screening: if the mesh is too fine, it might cause air turbulence on its surface restricting airflow through it.

• 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline DJEwen

« Reply #324 on: March 17, 2019, 12:44:48 PM »
It would be impossible to follow me because I misidentified the wiring port. The BAR port should receive either a blue or grey wire according to the diagram I supplied. Yours has a yellow wire. The diagram is actually for an MA rather than a CA; the fuel indicator wiring routes are likely the same though for both models.

If the Acewell's odometer operates and you've learned your moto's average mixed-driving fuel economy by riding your moto with a full tank until it's empty, calculating the mpg then refilling it with the gallon of fuel you cleverly carried along with you to enable your return trip, riding the North Coast 500 using your odometer for fuel consumption calculation should be no problem.

Regarding radiator screening: if the mesh is too fine, it might cause air turbulence on its surface restricting airflow through it.

No worries, Laitch. I’ll have a look over the downloads section at C4R, my current trolls of the interwebs have produced no one else mounting a CA85 with BEP on pre float, at least not documented, I have many people privately messaging me on Instagram for assistance wiring the 85 to other models of bikes.
Yeah, you’re right, for sure I can run without the indicator using the trip meter(s) but it’s annoying me... it’s the only thing that doesn’t work :dunno2:

Funny you mention the mesh, I was just inspecting the current (mild steel) mesh from the local hardware store that I cut and sprayed, the paints broken out in a few places and it’s rusting, likely due to impacts via my aggressive cut of the front fender. I’m going to order some stainless mesh and spray it black gloss. I hadn’t even considered air flow/turbulence. I’m looking at a sheet on fleebay, it’s 5 mesh which has an aperture of 4.5mm, apparently that creates a 74% open area, here’s a link: https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F401489794572 What do you think?
  • Scotland