Author Topic: "Revive" (1985 K100 Street Scrambler Build, not a Cafe Racer)  (Read 178272 times)

Offline DJEwen

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
Re: Triple S
« Reply #50 on: May 18, 2018, 02:24:38 AM »
Radiator Refresh.

• Scotland
  • 1985 K100 'Revive', 1987 K100 LT

Offline Scottsinvic

• Curious
« Reply #51 on: May 18, 2018, 07:10:37 PM »
That's nice! maybe a silly question.... but how on earth did you clean the insides so well prior to painting?
  • Australia
  • K100

Offline Martin

• ^ Quintessential Motobricker
« Reply #52 on: May 18, 2018, 09:01:21 PM »
By insides I'm assuming the cooling fins. A tool can be sourced on Ebay. https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/HVAC-AUTO-RADIATOR-FIN-COMB-STRAIGHTENER-AIR-CONDITIONER-CONDENSERS-8-15MM/121990006938? Before I remove my radiator again it is on my list of purchases.
Regards Martin.
  • North Lakes Queensland Australia
  • 1992 K75s Hybrid, Lefaux, Vespa V twin.

Offline Scottsinvic

• Curious
« Reply #53 on: May 18, 2018, 10:23:52 PM »
Martin! Thanks mate. I’ve already stolen your tip about the grease nipple mods to the clutch actuation arm! So thankyou once again.
  • Australia
  • K100

Offline Martin

« Reply #54 on: May 18, 2018, 11:56:57 PM »
Scott I'm still on all my original OEM cables after 25 years. As well as greasing the clutch arm I use a product called Triflo which is a PTFE based lubricant on all my cables. Never use WD40 or it's like on cables it can degrade the Teflon liner. The main use for WD40 is as a water displacement fluid hence the letters WD in it's name. Triflo or something similar can be found in bicycle shops they also use it on their cables. I grew up in Vic Moonee Ponds the Minister for Finance and Recreation grew up in Noble Park.
Regards Martin.

Offline DJEwen

« Reply #55 on: May 19, 2018, 11:06:24 AM »
That's nice! maybe a silly question.... but how on earth did you clean the insides so well prior to painting?

Hi Scott. I carefully powerwashed through the fins to get the worst of it out, then I put the lot in the dish washer on a pot cycle, dried overnight then got to work straightening the fins with a eBay fin straightening tool and a series of picks, mostly the picks.
  • Scotland

Offline DJEwen

« Reply #56 on: May 19, 2018, 11:13:11 AM »
Frame, radiator and hoses installed.

Slowly, slowly.
  • Scotland

Offline DJEwen

« Reply #57 on: May 19, 2018, 02:56:36 PM »
TGPI

This is how the unit currently looks, maybe a little sorry for itself? It’s hampering build progress.

I’ve not taken the cover off for a look yet but have a couple questions. I never tested the unit before strip down so I’m not sure if the neutral light or any gear position indicator is working. In the vide I posted of the bike running you can see there is no neutral light. Does the light go out once started? I understand no neutral light could be either the board in the lunch box or the GPI itself?

I’ll be installing an Acewell speedo during the rebuild. Is there any way I can bench test the TGPI without the need to connect it to the loom?

• Scotland

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
« Reply #58 on: May 19, 2018, 03:43:48 PM »
Does the light go out once started?
The neutral light should indicate that the transmission is in neutral. It stays lit until there is a gear change. Maybe its bulb is defective. Here is some guidance about the switch.
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles
I wept because I had no radials until I met a man who had no splines.
https://tinyurl.com/RillRider

Offline Martin

« Reply #59 on: May 19, 2018, 04:33:45 PM »
When you replace the TGPI replace the mounting screws with stainless Allen screws and Kopper Kote the threads. Before you mount it coat it with some sort of waterproofing. I used Plastidip in red ( faster gear changes) don't put too much around the screw holes and leave the back coating free. Mine has been like that for about 18 years I checked it about 5 years ago and it was still holding up.
Regards Martin.
Winner Winner x 1 View List

Offline DJEwen

« Reply #60 on: May 20, 2018, 05:26:26 AM »
The neutral light should indicate that the transmission is in neutral. It stays lit until there is a gear change. Maybe its bulb is defective. Here is some guidance about the switch.

Hi Laitch, I’m quite clear on the function of the GPI. Thanks for the information on that thread, very useful.

When you replace the TGPI replace the mounting screws with stainless Allen screws and Kopper Kote the threads. Before you mount it coat it with some sort of waterproofing. I used Plastidip in red ( faster gear changes) don't put too much around the screw holes and leave the back coating free. Mine has been like that for about 18 years I checked it about 5 years ago and it was still holding up.
Regards Martin.

Good advice Martin! Jeez... I didn’t know plasti-dip had been on the go for 18 years already! I had planned to just re-install it with a new gasket and in a cocoon of silicone.

Does anyone actually know if, without hooking it up to the loom and turning on ignition etc etc if the unit can be bench tested in a stand alone form?
From the information given and read on the forums it appears it’s uncommon for the unit to have failed unless the case has been breached and the contacts corroded, I may just bite the bullet, open it up, clean it, and reinstall then cross my fingers that I’m not pulling the final drive and swing arm once I get round to wiring in the Acewell...
  • Scotland

Offline Martin

« Reply #61 on: May 20, 2018, 05:35:50 AM »
They can be bench tested and there is a test procedure if you do a google search it should come up.
Regards Martin.

Offline Latvietis

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #62 on: May 20, 2018, 05:47:53 AM »
Hey!
I like your posts on instagram, you are really going fast!

I opened mine switch, because i knew there is some problems! Mine gear possition indicator on the dashboard is damaged so i cant see any gear, but it only showed something different when i was in third and fifth gear.  That is why i opened it.

I opened it and found out, that one of pin springs is melted (idk why). I changed spring with bmw e46 door lock spring! It was quite longer, but it worked!

About testing- you can use multimeter with beeping function. Take diagram with colours from that forum posted before. Put it in some gear, or if it is taken off, do a manual turn with screw driver.  Put it in some “gear” and test it.
Im not a tech guru, so i improvised! Switch works now, but it dont show neutral light.. i took dash board from friends k100 and green light worked, so the problem is in my dash board (but have no clue where..)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Latvia
  • K100 86’

Offline DJEwen

« Reply #63 on: May 20, 2018, 06:07:36 AM »
Hey!
I like your posts on instagram, you are really going fast!

I opened mine switch, because i knew there is some problems! Mine gear possition indicator on the dashboard is damaged so i cant see any gear, but it only showed something different when i was in third and fifth gear.  That is why i opened it.

I opened it and found out, that one of pin springs is melted (idk why). I changed spring with bmw e46 door lock spring! It was quite longer, but it worked!

About testing- you can use multimeter with beeping function. Take diagram with colours from that forum posted before. Put it in some gear, or if it is taken off, do a manual turn with screw driver.  Put it in some “gear” and test it.
Im not a tech guru, so i improvised! Switch works now, but it dont show neutral light.. i took dash board from friends k100 and green light worked, so the problem is in my dash board (but have no clue where..)

Thanks. I thought this was slow compared to others.

That’s a good shout, simulate the gear shift using that colourful diagram and a screw driver.

Maybe it’s the bulb in your dash?
  • Scotland

Offline Latvietis

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #64 on: May 20, 2018, 06:14:31 AM »
Bulb is fine.. i thought maybe because of lcd display it dont hit green light :( I dont know :D

You are going fast, but cant compete with Ditstang :D

• Latvia
  • K100 86’

Offline DJEwen

« Reply #65 on: May 20, 2018, 06:27:09 AM »
Bulb is fine.. i thought maybe because of lcd display it dont hit green light :( I dont know :D

You are going fast, but cant compete with Ditstang :D

Let me know how you figure it out.

Just pulled the indicator apart and it appears the outer pin is suppressed in the hole, perhaps a collapsed spring or is this the normal position? Similar to your issue?

Haha, no one can compete with Distang! It’s Marrakeschrot_643 who will be on the road first I think! Then maybe Custom_Moto :D
  • Scotland

Offline Latvietis

• Motobrick Curious
Triple S
« Reply #66 on: May 20, 2018, 06:33:45 AM »
I think its too deep! It wont make contact to the plate like this. Be careful, because it can shoot that shiny thing real far!  I tuned them ower to get the shiny thing and spring out.. 2 of 3 springs got out good, but the last one ( which for you is the deepest) didnt come out! Had to find very thin wire to get it out.

I got it out in two peaces and obviously melted in the middle.

• Latvia
  • K100 86’

Offline DJEwen

« Reply #67 on: May 20, 2018, 06:44:02 AM »
I think its too deep! It wont make contact to the plate like this. Be careful, because it can shoot that shiny thing real far!  I tuned them ower to get the shiny thing and spring out.. 2 of 3 springs got out good, but the last one ( which for you is the deepest) didnt come out! Had to find very thin wire to get it out.

I got it out in two peaces and obviously melted in the middle.

I just checked Frogs build on the K100 forum and see all three pins should be sprung proud in order to contact properly.

I got it out, this is all that was left:

Time to pull the one from the spare bike and see what I can produce from the two.

Thanks for your help :D
  • Scotland

Offline Latvietis

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #68 on: May 20, 2018, 06:48:30 AM »
No problem! Same thing what happened for me! [emoji28] got spring from lock which comes in doors. I dont know from which (e46 i guess) it was about 1-2mm longer, but it worked!

• Latvia
  • K100 86’

Offline DJEwen

« Reply #69 on: May 20, 2018, 12:13:23 PM »
No problem! Same thing what happened for me! [emoji28] got spring from lock which comes in doors. I dont know from which (e46 i guess) it was about 1-2mm longer, but it worked!

Sorted  :2thumbup:

• Scotland

Offline DJEwen

« Reply #70 on: May 20, 2018, 12:21:40 PM »
Promised to share some spline shots.

Thoughts on the splines?

• Scotland

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
« Reply #71 on: May 20, 2018, 12:25:15 PM »
Thoughts on the splines?
:2thumbup:
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles
I wept because I had no radials until I met a man who had no splines.
https://tinyurl.com/RillRider

Offline DJEwen

« Reply #72 on: May 20, 2018, 12:55:19 PM »
  • Scotland

Offline DJEwen

« Reply #73 on: May 20, 2018, 12:59:52 PM »
TGPI repaired, installed and sealed over. Swing arm, drive shaft and final drive installed. Rear shock cleaned up and installed. That’s it for today.

• Scotland

Offline The Mighty Gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #74 on: May 20, 2018, 01:07:55 PM »
FWIW, I have heard that the spring under the flint of a Bic cigarette lighter is the right size to go under the pins in the TGPI switch.
  • In my garage in Marilla, NY
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:
'91 K100RS16V "Moby Brick Too"

Past:
'94 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
'92 K100RS16V "Moby Brick" (RIP, deceased in a vehicular assault)
'94 K75S Special Edition Dakar Yellow "Cheetos"
'89 K100RS Special Edition "Special Ed"