Author Topic: Installing a Temp gauge in a K75S  (Read 5822 times)

Offline alexg

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
Installing a Temp gauge in a K75S
« on: February 22, 2018, 10:07:48 PM »
Hi you all:
I bought the bits and pieces to install a temp gauge in addition to the idiot light to monitor temp. The issue at hand is cosmetic: Is it there an elegant way to add such a feature without cutting a hole in the fairing, as in the picture attached? I am concerned that it might weaken the plastic and will start a crack.
Thanks,
Alex G.

• Michigan
  • '93 K75S, 1975 BMW R75/6 & 1984 Yamaha RZ350
Alex G.

Offline rbm

• ^ Quintessential Motobricker
  • Regards, Robert
Toronto, Ontario

1987 K75 - Build Blog @http://k75retro.blogspot.ca/

Offline Chaos

• Administrator
  • Mars needs women!
Re: Installing a Temp gauge in a K75S
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2018, 10:38:45 PM »
rbm's solution works with an RT, not so much with an S.   I had gas & temp gauges mounted in the fairing as pictured, no problem with stress or cracking but the bottom of the gauge didn't quite clear the tank.  I have seen them mounted there with spacers similar to rbm's to raise them up and angle them a little better. 
  • sw ohio
1987 K75S    VIN 0231
Original owner, Original litter
200,000 miles (plus or minus) and 5 paint jobs
sold 6/23
2023 Ural 2WD sidecar (BMW's bastard step child)

Offline rbm

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2018, 10:45:31 PM »
Would there be room on the handlebars for an instrument cup on an RS?  Maybe an adapter on the mirror mounts on the controls?  Don't have an RS to evaluate.
  • Regards, Robert
Toronto, Ontario

1987 K75 - Build Blog @http://k75retro.blogspot.ca/

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2018, 11:13:36 PM »
It looks like the fairing is the elegant place, though slightly more forward than the one in the photo. If it would be comforting, it's likely the hole could be reinforced by laying up a couple of circular pieces of fiberglass cloth around the opening on the underside of fairing. Having proper clearance of the gauge from the tank would be the goal.

I prefer warning lights because they allow enjoyment to proliferate until they create anxiety at one go and compel action. Instead, gauges incrementally build foreboding, blood pressure and a sense of impending doom. The difference for me comes down to quality of life. :giggles
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles
I wept because I had no radials until I met a man who had no splines.

Offline Martin

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2018, 11:21:43 PM »
There was room on my handle bars to clamp the GPS mount on my 75s on the RH side. Shortly I'll be mounting  a 2 or 3 port USB socket for charging various devices on the LH side I've checked out a Jaycar handle bar socket and it will fit. So you should be able to mount a handle bar mount and adapt a 2" pod to it. https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Roll-Bar-Handlebar-Seatpost-Bike-Mount-For-GoPro-Hero-5-4-4-3-2-Go-Pro-HD-Camera/253268408524?   https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Brand-New-2-52mm-Auto-Car-Gauge-Cup-Holder-Pod-Black-Car-Instrument-Mount/222230128541? Or possibly this https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Single-Auto-Car-Gauge-Meter-Pod-Holder-Cup-Mount-2-52mm-High-Quality-D4K3/222634006737? mounted on the rear handle bar cover.
Regards Martin.
  • North Lakes Queensland Australia
  • 1992 K75s Hybrid, Lefaux, Vespa V twin.

Offline Chaos

• Administrator
  • Mars needs women!
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2018, 11:40:27 PM »
The BMW gauges I had were laughably inaccurate, but they looked cool.
  • sw ohio
1987 K75S    VIN 0231
sold 6/23

Offline alexg

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2018, 08:46:41 PM »
Hi all:
Have been working this past week on the setup. Found the existing 4-pin connector in the bike, attached the extra wiring bought in e-bay. Waiting on the temp gauge lead from the BWM dealer. The previously owned gauge works; grounding the temp gauge connector it goes all the way to the right. Thanks Mighty!

I believe I will go ahead and cut the hole in the fairing. As Laitch mentions, there is a better place (more real state) higher up, but sitting on the 75S, it is obstructed by the handlebar end. Will mockup the setup and try once more before cutting.

Thanks for all comments.

Alex
  • Michigan
Alex G.

Offline alexg

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2018, 06:46:44 PM »
Hi:
I have been considering options on the install of the temp gauge. The first question is why the Germans did not put a temp gauge on a water cooled machine?

From the fairing panel integrity and aesthetics and tank clearance, and believe the best compromise is the location shown in the first picture.

The one inconvenience is that the surface is not flat as shown in the second picture, which will require a custom made spacer (I can justify having a lathe!). Not a big inconvenience.

There is plenty of real state in the back of the fairing panel (third picture) to reinforce it with fiberglass and resin.

I am VERY open to comments and suggestions before I get the hole saw spinning.

Thanks for the great site, and yes, I did send some money in !

AlexG
  • Michigan
Alex G.

Offline Laitch

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2018, 10:32:53 PM »
The first question is why the Germans did not put a temp gauge on a water cooled machine?
They might have had confidence in both the engine cooling system's integrity and the over-temperature warning light's ability to indicate problems soon enough. Every gauge and its installation is increased production cost.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline alexg

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2018, 11:01:03 PM »
Update on the temp gauge install:

Bought the gauge from Mr Mighty, and the cables and temperature sender mentioned in this post from e-bay. Overall cost about $100.
Before any further messing with the bike, installed sender and the wiring and fired up the machine. Waited for the needle to move, and then for the radiator fan to kick in, just to check that the electrical part was OK.

Bought a 2" hollow drill to make the hole in the side of the fairing. I decided to install higher in the fairing to clear the tank and avoid rattles.
Since the install was on a curve area of the fairing, I needed to make an adapter to compensate for the variable gap. Had a chunk of HDPE from which I turned the adaptor. The contouring was done by eye, until the max gap was less than my spec (1mm).
Once the hole was done, I reinforce the back with three layers of fiberglass and resin, as suggested in this post.
Had to cut the back protector cup of the gauge to compensate for the height of the adapter plus the three layers of fiberglass/resin.
Installed the gauge, applying a thin layer of RTV between the spacer and the fairing.

The rest is the normal reassembly of all the trimming and plastic pieces.

A few pictures attached, to complete the post.

The most difficult thing: Installing the cable from the sender to the main wiring harness. The thing has to be threaded through a very convoluted routing behind the water pump case, and there is no way to accomplish that w/o removing the front cover of the water pump. Even so it was hard (my wife had to pitch in, as I needed three hands.

How functional is this: I like feedback that indicates something out of normal, even though is not critical (like overheating indicated by the red light). For that, I consider the thing useful, plus it does not look bad on the bike. I need to lean forward a little bit to get the full view of the gauge, otherwise I see the top (as in one of the pictures attached).

Hope this is useful for some.

Alex G.
  • Michigan
Alex G.

Offline Laitch

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2018, 07:14:28 AM »
Before any further messing with the bike, installed sender and the wiring and fired up the machine. Waited for the needle to move, and then for the radiator fan to kick in, just to check that the electrical part was OK.
This is an astute precaution that others here should take onboard whenever possible preceding an installation. The finished installation looks good. Thanks for the update.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline Chaos

• Administrator
  • Mars needs women!
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2018, 09:29:09 AM »
looks good!  you need the fuel gauge on the other side now to balance things out.
  • sw ohio
1987 K75S    VIN 0231
sold 6/23

Offline alexg

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2018, 06:45:29 PM »
Thanks. I can wait for the fuel gauge until something shows up. The reserve light plus the trip meter is enough feedback for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Michigan
Alex G.

Offline vulcanbcn

• Curious
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2024, 03:47:24 AM »
Quick questions masters of the Ks, got a friend with a K75 '90, and he wants to install the temperature and the gasoline gauge, he has them but no clue how to connect them, do you have any guide for this?

Thx
  • Spain
  • K100LT, K100RS16v, K1100LT sidecar, K1100RS

Offline frankenduck

• Adrninistrator
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2024, 04:56:53 AM »
The first question is why the Germans did not put a temp gauge on a water cooled machine?

Because it doesn't do anything of value. On a motorcycle it is just a needless distraction that, if you're paying attention to it, decreases situational awareness. And no matter how hard you stare at the needle it will not change the temperature.

The cluster warning lamp comes on at 111C (232F) long before any engine damage from overheating occurs.  Then, after that, the radiator cap blows at 120C (248F) and blows coolant out of the reservoir all over your right leg. (Been there, done that. The bike wasn't actually overheating but the radiator cap was old and failing so it needed to be replaced.)

Once I had a Collie pup. Dug a hole and covered him up. Now I sit there by the hour. Waiting for a Collie-flower.
New to K bikes? Click here.
K Bike Maintenance & Mods: Click here.
Buy parts here.

Tags: