Author Topic: Giving the old Brick the TLC she needs...87 K100 RS  (Read 30339 times)

Offline The Mighty Gryphon

• Administrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
Re: Giving the old Brick the TLC she needs...87 K100 RS
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2018, 07:10:01 PM »
I don't have a photo to post, but the seat support looks correct.  The hinge is supposed to come toward you when you lower the seat.  The C-clips should fit okay on the posts as long as you can see the groove for it, the clip will work. 

P.O. may have bent the seat support to make it fit a bit better.  On all of my bikes the support doesn't quite look right in the way it aligns with the attachment points.

As fara as the mirrors/turn signals, I have seen photos of bikes that have had flush mount LED signals and bar-mounted mirrors and to be honest, they make the bike look a lot better with a sleeker, modern look.  One of the retrofits used a triangular fixture that was a perfect fit onto the flat area where the original mirror attached.  It didn't require any modification of the fairing beyond drilling two holes for the screws that held it on.  Photos looked like it was a factory job.  I think you'll be pleased with your results.
  • In my garage in Marilla, NY
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:
'91 K100RS16V "Moby Brick Too"

Past:
'94 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
'92 K100RS16V "Moby Brick" (RIP, deceased in a vehicular assault)
'94 K75S Special Edition Dakar Yellow "Cheetos"
'89 K100RS Special Edition "Special Ed"

Offline Martin

« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2018, 07:22:33 PM »
I replaced the "C" clips which are a bit of a pain with "R" clips. You can get them from hobby supply places. They are used to hold the body onto the chassis on RC cars. You need to drill a hole in the pin slightly larger than the "R" clip in the groove that takes the "C" clip. I have a bent bit of coat hanger wire with a small hook on one end and a finger loop on the other. As well as removing the seat "R" clips it will also remove the tank "C" clips. Your prop hinge will fit when you straighten it. The broken pin needs to be pulled from the seat mount and welded back onto the frame. A lot of the electrics need to be disconnected when welding.
Regards Martin.

* Seat Pin and Hook.jpg (22.77 kB . 432x576 - viewed 628 times)
  • North Lakes Queensland Australia
  • 1992 K75s Hybrid, Lefaux, Vespa V twin.

Offline Timbox

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2018, 11:02:47 PM »
M G,
Yes I think I will go with the flush mount signals and now to find some mirrors that will fit.  Unlike the other metric bikes I have worked on, I think the mirror post or holes on the bars are not threaded.  That will be interesting to find them.  Did you happen to have the post of the triangle type signal?

These might work: https://www.motosport.com/lockhart-phillips-turn-six-signal

Martin
As for the welding, yes all the bikes main components will be removed or unhooked.  Have heard horror stories about people losing ECU's or the brain box ect...

Will be interesting to see how I work this seat in issue, but I think maybe removing the back right hand rail plastic and then I would be able to fit seat and mount up the "L" or what ever bracket that is.
  • Tomah, Wisconsin
  • 87 K100 RS
1987 K100RS current project :)
In shed: 07 Bandit 1250, 86 FJ1200, 85 Madura 1200 and KLR650

Offline The Mighty Gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2018, 11:41:00 PM »
Yes, those look like the signals I was looking at.  There are a ton of them on eBay for a lot less.  These are an example of what is out there.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2X-Flush-Mount-LED-Turn-Signal-Light-Amber-for-Motorcycle-zu/253137660450?hash=item3af02e2a22:g:wScAAOSw9ENZn4M2&vxp=mtr

I don't know if they are the same size, although from looking at a lot of them, I suspect that there is not a lot of size diffference.  The number of LED's varies from 9 to 11 or 12.

One thing I have noticed is that they use some plastics that may not hold up long term in strong sunlight and might have to have to be replaced every couple of years, but for the price it doesn't look like a hard hit, and they are easy to change. 

Some of the signals on eBay are cheap enough that 3 or 4 pairs can cost less than a single BMW turn signal lens.
  • In my garage in Marilla, NY
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:
'91 K100RS16V "Moby Brick Too"

Past:
'94 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
'92 K100RS16V "Moby Brick" (RIP, deceased in a vehicular assault)
'94 K75S Special Edition Dakar Yellow "Cheetos"
'89 K100RS Special Edition "Special Ed"

Offline Timbox

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2018, 10:53:17 PM »
Got some time with the bike today, took acetone to the tank to get the rest of the crud out of it.  Between that, compressed air and a vacuum the tank is ready for the fuel pump.  The bad news is, one of the wires off the low fuel/fuel pump connector came off!  It wold have to be the yellow one, can't really get a soldering iron in there to reatach it and would you really trust it if you did reattach it?

I am sure I will have to order a new or used low fuel unit, I will get the new gasket that way too and stop the leak that I am sure was there from the PO.  Got some fuel safe foam coming so I can mount the fuel pump into the OEM vibration holder and feel good that it will not flop around.  I just don't feel good about using the old unit sense it was sitting in bad gas for all those yrs.  It is working great but sense I am going through all this time with cleaning the tank, new should be in order.

• Tomah, Wisconsin
  • 87 K100 RS

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2018, 11:08:02 PM »
I just don't feel good about using the old unit sense it was sitting in bad gas for all those yrs.  It is working great but sense I am going through all this time with cleaning the tank, new should be in order.
The o-ring gasket costs eight bucks plus shipping from MAXBMW.  Have you seen this article?

Nothing wrong with buying new parts though.  :euro   Why buy used if your sender is working? Try cleaning it according to the article. Then buy one. :giggles
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles
I wept because I had no radials until I met a man who had no splines.
https://tinyurl.com/RillRider

Offline Timbox

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2018, 07:37:43 AM »
Laitch,

I have read that article and even thought I could do the "refresh".  The yellow wire that came off the back broke down in the plastic (pic to follow).  The wiper area that looks like it is toast.  The wires that make up the wipe area are all broken and would continue to deteriorate and end up in the tank.  I am sure the pump strainer and then the fuel filter would take care of it, but I think that it is just gone.

The yellow wire that is a larger gauge wire that powers the fuel pump is the wire that broke off.  The location of the broken connector in the plastic sealed part of the bottom of the sending unit.  I just feel better replacing that unit as it really is weathered and should give me a little more confidence to take the brick on long rides.

Thanks for all the good links and articles to keep me reading and learning on the brick.
20180307_155239[1] by Tim Brown, on Flickr
Here is the pic of the broken power wire :(
20180308_112213[1] by Tim Brown, on Flickr
  • Tomah, Wisconsin
  • 87 K100 RS

Offline Timbox

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2018, 07:05:04 PM »
Got the parts in the mail, now to get to the bike, busy week but I will make time.  Besides here in WI we still have snow on the ground and more foretasted for the end of the week...go away winter!
  • Tomah, Wisconsin
  • 87 K100 RS

Offline Timbox

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2018, 07:02:59 PM »
Got the bike running "as a stand alone bike" today!  Yes I had to reverse the power leads on the fuel pump from what I thought it was, but that was the only glitch.  She fired up just like she should and runs very well.

I even got the aftermarket front blinkers on today and have them working, they don't look that great "like they should be there" but better then putting the old mirrors on and then loosing them.  I did have to mod the mounts to allow for the original screws to hold the plastic in that area.  I thought if I just put the signals on over the holes that I would really shake up the front of the bike.

Now I need to get those mirrors that go on the bars and I will be legal.  Need to find some aftermarket type either on ebay or Amazon.  Once I get her down the road once I will open up the rear spindle and see how that looks.  I have to get some metric screws to hold that wind screen in too.  So any good ideas of mirrors that mount on the bars, not bar end mirrors, tried those and not used to that.  Over the shoulder ones are what I am used to.
  • Tomah, Wisconsin
  • 87 K100 RS

Offline Laitch

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2018, 09:40:58 PM »
  So any good ideas of mirrors that mount on the bars, not bar end mirrors, tried those and not used to that.  Over the shoulder ones are what I am used to.
Check out this link. Depending on what you get you might need to tap existing holes in the lever assemblies.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline Supershooter

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2018, 10:20:29 PM »
 :clap:

its always a good feeling to hear them run!

SS
  • Liberty Township, O'brien County, Iowa
  • 85 K100 RT

Offline Timbox

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2018, 08:49:24 AM »
Thanks SupperShooter, how is the trouble shooting for yours coming along?  I want to take mine down the road with the temps in the 50's, but the driveway is a death trap of ice and mud...just have to wait it out!

I could work on that seat issue, as the hinge is not working and or broke on the right side of the bike as it slides into the rear right body panel.  I am thinking some kind of "0" or tube like device that I can weld to the frame.  I will disconnect the battery, and all other plugs that go into important things before I weld.  I just don't think the rear body panel would do a good job of holding that seat in place. 

SupperShooter, if you could take a good pic of how your RS seat goes into that back body panel that would be great...if not that is cool too.
  • Tomah, Wisconsin
  • 87 K100 RS

Offline Supershooter

« Reply #37 on: March 19, 2018, 09:35:03 PM »
Tim,
Progress has been limited by adult responsibilities, and a lack of tools, I plan on picking up a test light this week in my travels and hope to get back in the shop after that to check injectors.

As far as pics, i'll send you are many as you'd like but I have a 85 RT, just let me know if still want want some pics.

Supershooter
  • Liberty Township, O'brien County, Iowa
  • 85 K100 RT

Offline Laitch

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: March 20, 2018, 07:25:48 AM »
I also think this hinge is bend and I know it is missing the two "C" clips to hold it in place.  Top post looks to not be sticking out far enough for a "C" clip to even work.

The seat support is bent but from what I see in the image, the OEM clip should be able to fit into the groove of its top pin.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline Timbox

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #39 on: March 20, 2018, 07:44:21 AM »
I get that middle seat stop and or holder open hinge, what I am missing of what it looks like is the broken hinge I have on the far right middle of the seat.
Seat 3 by Tim Brown, on Flickr

Here is what it looks like with the broken part off.  It looks like it goes into the rear body panel, but I am thinking it needs to be mounted to the frame for support.
Seat 4 by Tim Brown, on Flickr
  • Tomah, Wisconsin
  • 87 K100 RS

Offline Laitch

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: March 20, 2018, 08:49:11 AM »
I get that middle seat stop and or holder open hinge . . .
I sure didn't get that you got much, from what you wrote anyway. If one of the layabouts here can't come up with a visual for you right now, I'll post one up in 20 minutes as soon as return from the shop.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline Laitch

• Administrator
« Reply #41 on: March 20, 2018, 11:04:45 AM »
Your bike looks like it has an Corbin seat. Its custom seat pan should fit all K-bike models of a similar vintage regardless of being RS or RT. I suggest you email Corbin to ask for an image of their seat pan hinge pin and bracket layout on the underside of their custom seat to help you understand how it might differ from the images here. These are some images from a standard height OEM seat hinge assembly. Refer to Seat diagram at MAX BMW's parts fiche for part numbers. I resized all these images so their total bandwidth is less than 1Mb.

Rear hinge and bracket closeup.

Rear hinge and bracket.

Rear hinge and bracket.

Center hinge pin assembly and support arm.

Center hinge pin and bracket viewed from front of bike. Arrow indicates pin center.

Center hinge pin bracket attachment bracket and bolt within rectangle. Arrow indicates support arm.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline alabrew

« Reply #42 on: March 20, 2018, 06:16:09 PM »

Here is what it looks like with the broken part off.  It looks like it goes into the rear body panel, but I am thinking it needs to be mounted to the frame for support.Seat 4 by Tim Brown, on Flickr

Yes, the pin is attached to the frame behind the rear body panel and held with a circle clip. The seat hinge should also have circle clips top and bottom.

Thanks for making me look at my seat. I thought that the Corbin only had the one attachment point in the middle, but I see that there is a rear hinge too that was not connected. Would make the seat more difficult to remove since you would need a hex wrench, especially on the side of the road, which may be why to PO did not have it bolted.
  • Birmingham, Alabama
  • 1985 K100, 1991 K100RS
Also:
2005 K1200LT
1979 R65
200,000 miles on BMW motorcycles

Offline Laitch

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: March 20, 2018, 06:55:53 PM »
The seat hinge should also have circle clips top and bottom. I thought that the Corbin only had the one attachment point in the middle, but I see that there is a rear hinge too that was not connected. Would make the seat more difficult to remove since you would need a hex wrench, especially on the side of the road, which may be why to PO did not have it bolted.
My bike's Corbin had a rear pin/circlip style attachment that enabled the rear seat hinge to slide off the pin just like the OEM assembly and the center hinge—no hex wrench needed. The middle hinge pin has only one circlip. It's the support arm that has top and bottom circlips.

I sold my Corbin because the bucket shape was too confining. If Tim contacts Corbin, they'll clear up the confusion.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline Timbox

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #44 on: March 20, 2018, 09:04:10 PM »
So what part am I missing from the attached?  I have no clue from this parts list. 
  • Tomah, Wisconsin
  • 87 K100 RS

Offline rbm

« Reply #45 on: March 20, 2018, 09:10:13 PM »
More pictures showing how my Corbin seat is attached, if it helps.

Front most pivot pin on right side of the frame.  The pivot pin is "S" shaped and you can just catch the 90° bend in the pin as it disappears behind the tail piece.  That pin is welded to the frame.  It should have a circlip on the end but I just can't get the seat hardware adjusted properly to attach the clip.  It works fine without it.:

You asked what you're missing.  The pin shown in your picture labelled "Seat 3" is the remnant of the pivot pin that should be welded to the frame.  It appears to have been cut off and left in the hinge piece, from the looks of things. I think you will have to manufacture a brand new pivot pin and weld it to your frame.

The latch and the front most pivot attachment with the seat stay:

The rear most pivot hardware.  On mine, there is a pin that goes through and gets secured with a circlip.  To remove the seat, I first disengage the seat stay, then I remove that circlip, push out the pin towards the front of the bike and lift the seat off the front most pivot.:

Another closeup of the front most pivot hardware showing the seat stay secured with a circlip:

The seat stay collapsed with the seat in the closed position:

• Regards, Robert
Toronto, Ontario

1987 K75 - Build Blog @http://k75retro.blogspot.ca/

Offline alabrew

« Reply #46 on: March 20, 2018, 10:30:11 PM »
Here are Corbin's instructions: www.corbin.com/bmw/kbikeinstall.jpg

• Birmingham, Alabama
  • 1985 K100, 1991 K100RS
Also:
2005 K1200LT
1979 R65
200,000 miles on BMW motorcycles

Offline Laitch

• Administrator
« Reply #47 on: March 21, 2018, 12:54:31 AM »
So what part am I missing from the attached?  I have no clue from this parts list.
Even though that diagram is from Clymer and BMW, it is of an earlier seat than your stock bike had. Regardless, like rbm stated, the hinge pin has been severed. It is simply a piece of cold-rolled or hot-rolled round rod bent in a modified Z-shape. The top leg of the Z faced forward. The bottom leg of the Z was welded to the same gusset to which the shock was attached. MIG welding should be easy enough to do. Bending the round rod should be a piece of cake. Take off the seat and you should be able to view its remnant rearward of the shock. Grind it smooth and weld the replacement you make at the same angle by pivoting the Z outward, tacking it then welding it.

As you reassemble your bike, you should bear in mind that if you are not genetically predisposed to make all your bike's surfaces tidy enough to dine on has rbm has done, you will go mad in the attempt.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline Laitch

• Administrator
« Reply #48 on: March 21, 2018, 12:57:09 AM »
Here are Corbin's instructions: www.corbin.com/bmw/kbikeinstall.jpg
Corbin's instructions are "Call Corbin", according to that link.  :clap:
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline Timbox

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #49 on: March 21, 2018, 07:29:51 AM »
rbm,

Thanks for the great pics on a supper clean bike!  That and the explanation of how it is welded to the frame really helped.   :clap:   I have the tools for MIG welding so I will be able to take care of this myself. 

As for the rest of the replys, thank for all the help on the seat matter, has been driving me nuts.  Now I will have to remove the rear affects and then line the seat up and prep the metal.  All $$ cost electrical items on the bike will need to be unplugged so I will not fry anything.  Thanks again for giving me the great pics and celerity for me to take on this job.
  • Tomah, Wisconsin
  • 87 K100 RS

Tags: