Author Topic: New member - K75RT project  (Read 5654 times)

Offline Vlad

• Motobrick Curious
New member - K75RT project
« on: January 12, 2018, 06:41:38 PM »
Hi guys, new to the board. Here's a before and after of my bike. when I bought it, the previous owner had stripped the RT fairing and added an aftermarket headlight. Anyways, here it is now, before and after. It is not quite done yet, looking for a good pair of rearsets if anyone knows where to get some. I know of the BSK speedworks ones however they are from the UK and not cheap, wondering if there are any alternatives.

Thanks!

• Victoria, BC
  • 1993 K75RT

Offline duckytran

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
Re: New member - K75RT project
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2018, 10:05:01 AM »
Here's a cheaper set:

http://cafe4racer.eu/en/84-rearsets-bmw-k75-k100

There's a few builds on this forum that used universal rearsets with custom made footpeg plates. For me, I just trimmed down the existing footpeg plates and call it good enough.

Nice build by the way. Did you make the front wheel fender?
  • Austin, Texas
  • 1993 K75, 1981 R65

Offline Vlad

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2018, 12:08:17 AM »
Thanks. Yeah the front fender is custom made. I didn’t personally do it though. But I did make a few updates.. new headlight, rear sets, and coating for the headers and exhaust.

Still a couple more things to do.. I think smoke indicators might look nice and i haven’t decided whether to invert the bar end mirrors or leave them upright.
  • Victoria, BC
  • 1993 K75RT

Offline Vlad

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2018, 11:29:42 PM »
Was trying to 'seal' the intake paint on today and had the bike idling for 10, then 20, then 30 minutes and it ended up dying halfway through the last idle and wouldn't start back up. Maybe there's an issue with my alternator because I was under the impression that idling is supposed to maintain the charge at the very least. I had the choke tightened a bit so it was probably idling upwards of 2000rpm. Weird. battery is on a trickle charger now. Starts fine now. Guess the bike doesn't like to idle.

Here's the update with the headlight and coated exhaust. The 'flat aluminum' coating didn't exactly match the brushed aluminum up top but I think it's still better than the golden brown it was turning into from the heating the stainless steel.

• Victoria, BC
  • 1993 K75RT

Offline DJEwen

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2018, 11:52:42 PM »
Nice build  :2thumbup:
  • Scotland
  • 1985 K100 'Revive', 1987 K100 LT

Offline The Mighty Gryphon

• Administrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2018, 12:15:28 AM »
Does your fan work?  If I am not mistaken, at something like 110C the engine is sht down by the ECU.  It's possiblwe that with a fan problem you could have had the engine quit until the temperature dropped to some setpoint where normal operation resumes.  I believe that is a safety function to prevent serious overheating problems like warped heads.     
  • In my garage in Marilla, NY
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:
'91 K100RS16V "Moby Brick Too"

Past:
'94 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
'92 K100RS16V "Moby Brick" (RIP, deceased in a vehicular assault)
'94 K75S Special Edition Dakar Yellow "Cheetos"
'89 K100RS Special Edition "Special Ed"

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2018, 05:32:13 AM »
Was trying to 'seal' the intake paint on today and had the bike idling for 10, then 20, then 30 minutes and it ended up dying halfway through the last idle and wouldn't start back up.
Is there enough fuel in the tank? The fan should have started by the time the engine had been running 20 minutes, as The Mighty Gryphon has observed. Did it?

Maybe there's an issue with my alternator because I was under the impression that idling is supposed to maintain the charge at the very least.
Does the instrument cluster's charge light function correctly? Is it lit when the key is in the On position then shuts off after the bike has been revved is idling?
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline Vlad

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2018, 03:02:09 PM »
Hey guys, thank you for the suggestions.. I left the battery on a trickle charger for a few days and it seems to have brought it back to life. Rode around for about an hour last night and starts up again without a hitch.

I guess the idling/on/off during the winter when I was working on it probably killed the battery.

Will post another pic when it’s all cleaned up and the indicators come in :)
  • Victoria, BC
  • 1993 K75RT

Offline Vlad

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2018, 03:20:58 PM »
Added a few new things:

-Clear coat on the brushed aluminum parts
-Smoke front indicators on the front
-Painted engine block and sidestand/centre stand

Think all done for this season. Next season maybe new front forks and new wheels when I find something that fits?

• Victoria, BC
  • 1993 K75RT

Offline johnny

• TrailBrakingThrottleWhacker
  • Whacking...n...Chopping Sliding...n...High Siding
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2018, 08:10:54 PM »
greetings...

looks like all is order for a transcanadican roadtripp to aldo nova scotia...

or at least a tunnel run to the aldergrove lynden tunnel... butts you will need tragkorbs for that run...

j o
  • :johnny i parks my 96 eleven hundert rs motobrick in dodge county cheezconsin  :johnny

Tags: