Author Topic: Aftermarket Coolant Temperature Sensor/ Sender Part Number  (Read 13673 times)

Offline kris

• ^ SuperNatural Motobricker
Aftermarket Coolant Temperature Sensor/ Sender Part Number
« on: January 10, 2018, 06:05:47 PM »
1986 K100RT - looking to replace the temp sensor. BMW has discontinued this part listing. Does anyone have a Bosch part number or equivalent? There is a Chinese manufacturer of this component but I'm just not sure about quality. Reviews are hard to come by.

Thanks in advance!
  • In The Hammer!! Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
  • 1986 K100RT (Heinz) 2004 Kawasaki Concours (Eddy) 2007 Moto Guzzi Breva 1100 (Linda) Previous: 1968 Honda CD175 1973 Kawasaki S2350 1975 Honda CB550K
"I got bike fever bad!!"

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
Re: Aftermarket Coolant Temperature Sensor/ Sender Part Number
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2018, 07:11:25 PM »
How about this, kris? They also have the gauge temp sensor, too.
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles
I wept because I had no radials until I met a man who had no splines.
https://tinyurl.com/RillRider

Offline kris

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2018, 11:04:29 PM »
Laitch, thank you. You're a gentleman. I did see EME's listing and a couple of others. I am trying to decode this part by way of a Bosch (or other) part number in order that I can shop it. The Chinese option comes in at something like $10.00. I don't want to pay $40 US for a part that may come from the same factory in China! Wondering if Delco makes something like this. A Bosch number might allow me to cross-reference this part. It must be the Scot in my family ancestry...I like a bit of a deal - at least until I can't stand searching anymore and then I'll pay just about anything!
  • 1986 K100RT (Heinz) 2004 Kawasaki Concours (Eddy) 2007 Moto Guzzi Breva 1100 (Linda) Previous: 1968 Honda CD175 1973 Kawasaki S2350 1975 Honda CB550K
"I got bike fever bad!!"

Offline The Mighty Gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2018, 11:00:59 AM »
I would suggest keeping an eye on eBay for a used sender.  I suspect there may be 1 or 2 there right now.

I went through the aftermarket search a couple years ago when I added a temperature gauge to my RT.  THe problems I ran into is that the gauge uses a special response curve from the sender that is difficult to match with an afterarket sender. 

The second and major issue is that the location of the sender is into a fairly narrow water passage.  That is the reason why the stock sender has a flat face.  This is to prevent the  normally extended tip of a temperature sender from obstructing the coolant flow.

I seem to recall that Bosch makes a sender for a Volkswagen that was a pretty close match as far as resistance range and the non-extended tip.  Can't remember much more than that.

I found mine(2 of them) on eBay.  They typically go for around $30 as I recall.

Here's a sensor that looks like a temp sender.  Has same number(459 270) stamped in the body as the one pictured in the Max BMW parts fiche.  Can't tell from the photos if the plastic is/was blue.  To double check, ask if there is a hole in the face of the sender.  A hole indicates an oil pressure switch, while a flat face is on the temperature sender.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1987-85-92-BMW-K100RS-K100-100-RS-OEM-MISC-ENGINE-SENSOR-MOTOR-WORKS-GENUINE/322790658116?fits=Make%3ABMW&epid=2269226692&hash=item4b27d29044:g:HnAAAOSw9c1ZzPr1:sc:USPSPriority!14052!US!-1
  • In my garage in Marilla, NY
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:
'91 K100RS16V "Moby Brick Too"

Past:
'94 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
'92 K100RS16V "Moby Brick" (RIP, deceased in a vehicular assault)
'94 K75S Special Edition Dakar Yellow "Cheetos"
'89 K100RS Special Edition "Special Ed"

Offline kris

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2018, 11:32:56 AM »
Hi Jim. Happy New Year and thanks for the reply. Martin and I are giving the Chinese model a shot. We'll let you know. Do you think Beemer used Bosch originally? I'll check that number you referenced and see what comes up.

Cheers!

PS - how are you enjoying the thaw! We are now snowless....sopping wet instead. Had the Kawi out three days ago. She's the only one that would start! It felt great!
"I got bike fever bad!!"

Offline kris

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2018, 01:10:19 PM »
For what it might be worth to some of you I offer the following:

According to an article posted on IBMWR.ORG's site the coolant temp sensor (Bosch original equipment) comes in as Bosch part number 0280 130 032. If the supplier doesn't sell Bosch then there is a "crossover reference" number TX 39. Blue Streak apparently uses this number and offers this sensor as does a company called Standard Motor Products. Just read that Standard Motor Products is headquartered in Long Island, NY and sells some of its products under the "Blue Streak" name, among many others. Should be no problem with availability.

"I got bike fever bad!!"

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2018, 02:02:00 PM »
With the number of vehicles built with Jetronic ECU's I have to believe that those sensors will be available for a long time regardless of what BMW does.  In fact, they may have discontinued the part because with all the alternative sources out there they could no longer gouge customers for it.
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:

Past:

Offline Martin

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2018, 03:16:03 PM »
My Chinese one arrived yesterday. If I have time I might start testing it today, I need to get a digital temperature gauge from Jaycar as the one I use at the moment is designed for checking milk temperature for coffee. If the looks are anything to go by then it would be hard to tell the OEM one from the Chinese one.
Regards Martin.
  • North Lakes Queensland Australia
  • 1992 K75s Hybrid, Lefaux, Vespa V twin.

Offline rbm

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2018, 03:52:29 PM »
HA!! Never gauge the quality of a Chinese product (especially electrical) by its outward appearance.  The insides are what matters and there could be a world of difference between the OEM and the Chinese unit.

Case in point, check out this thread; the guy dismantled a Chinese power supply and, although the PF improvement choke looked the business, it was nothing more than paper filling!!!
  • Regards, Robert
Toronto, Ontario

1987 K75 - Build Blog @http://k75retro.blogspot.ca/

Offline Martin

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2018, 04:25:21 PM »
Yeah Rob I know looks can be deceiving but the quality of Chinese Products is improving.  And there are heaps of things made in China that you would not even suspect are Chinese and you are currently using. And so far I am running a Chinese GPS, rear master cylinder, and fuel pump. The only problem I've encountered so far was a power supply failure on the GPS. I had no luck contacting the supplier and after three attempts replaced it with one I had in my box of bits. It is actually cheaper to replace the GPS every couple of years than update the maps. For the outlay of $10.00 for the sender I thought that it would be worthwhile to buy one and test it. OZ parts prices border on the ridiculous and alternatives need to be sourced where possible. Even with exorbitant freight costs it is often cheaper for us to get parts from the US or UK.
Regards Martin.

Offline Martin

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2018, 05:14:50 PM »
 I started testing the new one by sticking it in boiling water with a digital thermometer. With the temperature sender immersed in the water I checked the values with my multimeter, according to my meter the values are twice what they should be. I did the same with ice water and got the same result. My meter is either out or the sender is bad.  I have been using the sender value chart that I found on the net.I have a mate who is a sparky and I am going over on Monday to run the tests again. I have not given feedback on Aliexpress, if the sender is bad I will inform the vendor and see what happens. The only other time I had a faulty product I had already placed feedback. My three attempts to solicit a response were not answered.  I ended up replacing the faulty power supply that came with the GPS with one I had lying around. Standby for further news as it develops. One big question is the chart that I attached accurate?? I remember using other values that I found years ago but I don't know whether they were the same. I can't find the old values.
Regards Martin.
* K100 Temp Sensor Values.jpg (38.1 kB . 768x464 - viewed 1158 times)

Offline rbm

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2018, 09:44:24 PM »
Martin,  Are you testing spade connector to spade connector with the multimeter?  Or are you testing spade connector to sensor body?
  • Regards, Robert
Toronto, Ontario

Offline Martin

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2018, 10:51:42 PM »
Spade connector to spade connector, thanks Rob I believe you have revealed the error in my test procedure. Correct would be spade to body?
Regards Martin

Offline Martin

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2018, 02:05:32 AM »
Rob the only way I can get any sort of reading is when the meter is connected to the spade connectors. No reading with either spade connector to the body of the sensor. :dunno
Regards Martin.

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2018, 09:30:39 AM »
It sounds like you may have a sender for a 4 valve Motronic engine.  I just did an electrical test on the one from my K100RS 4V and the only reading was beteween the pins, open circuit to the shell.

I could be wrong, but I think in the Motronic there is only one temperature signal that is used to generate the mixture and fan control functions where in the Jetronic two separate signals are used.
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:

Past:

Offline rbm

« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2018, 10:05:07 AM »
I'm tending to agree with Gryphon on this.  Looks like a Motronic temp sender rather than the Jetronic sender. this is born out in the schematics for the two different ignition systems as well.
  • Regards, Robert
Toronto, Ontario

Offline Martin

« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2018, 01:19:41 PM »
Thanks fellas looks like I bought my mate a spare sensor for his 4v. :hehehe  :dunno I've checked again to make sure I ordered the correct one and it definitely shows it's for a K75, it also shows the symbol for a variable resistor going to earth. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/High-Quality-Engine-Coolant-Temperature-Temp-Sensor-For-BMW-Motorcycles-K-100-K-75-K75-K100/32680512124.html? There is another one by the same vendor $15.77  green connector and a fibre washer but it shows the same symbol and also says for a k75. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Brand-New-Coolant-Water-Temperature-Sensor-For-BMW-K-75-K75-Jaguar-XJ-Porsche-928-IVECO/32591241965.html?
 I just sent off a query to the vendor as follows.

Bella I have received the sender, however it appears to be the sender for the 4 valve later Motronic system not the earlier 2 valve Jetronic system. Before installation I tested the sensor with a multimeter and a digital thermometer. I could not get any readings between either spade pin and earth. The only readings I could get were across the pins, which varied as the temperature changed. I rechecked that I ordered the correct one and it definitely stated it was for a K75. I would appreciate a quick response to this problem.
Regards Martin.

I will post any replies, if I do get any. Live in hope die in despair.
Regards Martin.

Offline Martin

« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2018, 08:30:42 PM »
Just got back from a mates place. Tested the new one against a known good one, the results were the same reading across the spade connectors.
and a variable reading between either of the spades and the body. Still could not get a reading on the new one between either spade and the body. So the conclusion is either wrong one or faulty??
Regards Martin.

Offline Martin

« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2018, 08:50:49 PM »
Can't complain about the service list of emails between the vendor and myself in reverse order. I only sent the first email this morning.
Bella Wang
18/01/14 17:45

Hello friend,
Ok, we will send you another one today, and we will give you the tracking number, thanks for your understanding.

Bella thanks for your prompt reply, another one would be greatly appreciated.
Regards Martin.
Me
18/01/14 17:44
Bella Wang
18/01/14 17:30

Hello friend,
sorry to hear that, we will do our best to solve your problem. we can send you another one for free of charge, or we refund you the full money, is it ok? thanks!
looking forward to your reply,
Best Regards,
Bella

Offline rbm

« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2018, 09:19:05 PM »
See if the seller can quickly test the new one for proper operation.  They should just verify some resistance between a spade connector and the body of the sensor.  If they don't test it, they might just send you another incorrect device.
  • Regards, Robert
Toronto, Ontario

Offline Martin

« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2018, 10:53:12 PM »
Rob I thought about it, but then decided as I don't actually need it at the moment that it might be a better test. But I chickened out and sent a request for a test. :2thumbup:
Regards Martin.

Offline Inge K.

« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2018, 05:20:54 AM »
A rather big chance that you just get another incorrect sensor, lot of mistakes in that advertissement.
The correct BMW part number for the 2V models is listed among a lot of others, which this obviously isn't.
The sensor don't match the symbol used in the adv., which you allready have stated.
The symbol in the adv. isn't correct either, it should have been like the one below.

• Norway

Offline Martin

« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2018, 02:46:59 PM »
Inge they are going to test the sensor before they send it. For $10.00 I am willing to do the research. It also might be possible that it was just a faulty sensor as there was the same resistance readings between the spade connectors on a known good OEM one and the Chinese one. :dunno If the new one is good, it will be a good result for all inmates as they are ultra cooperative and quick in answering any concerns, they appear at this stage to be legit.
Regards Martin.

Offline kris

« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2018, 03:13:42 PM »
Keep us posted, Martin. As you know I'm in the same boat with you!
"I got bike fever bad!!"

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2018, 03:17:11 PM »
Ok, so I buy the $10 sensor, install it and find out it isn't the right one or it doesn't work right.  I'm out about 5-6 hours of screwing around with my fairings and cooling system.

Or, I test it and find out it's not right and then have to go through contact with the seller and waiting for a replacement.  Same thing with scenario above. 

Meanwhile the bike is off the road for a month or more.  $10 doesn't sound like a deal to me when I figure in the odds against getting the part I need.  Especially when I can get a good used one on-line in less than a week for maybe $10-15 more.

I'm getting less interested in doing business with the Chinese.  Just recently I bought 8 different packages of stainless fasteners for the Moby Brick.  After waiting 2 1/2 weeks they arrive, and 2 of the 8 parts are not what I ordered and not usable.   Do I contact the seller for the right parts and wait another 2 1/2 weeks or do I get what I need locally?   The Chinese are always polite and apologetic, but the time lost in shipping can kill the momentum on a project.  The more complicated the part is the less likely it's going to be what I need.
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:

Past:

Tags: