Author Topic: New K1100LT owner from Annapolis, MD (USA)  (Read 3282 times)

Offline Mean Green Z28

• Motobrick Curious
New K1100LT owner from Annapolis, MD (USA)
« on: January 07, 2018, 11:08:27 AM »
Hi to all!

Just came upon my first BMW. A neighbor, who'd always talked about this bike he had stashed away but never rode, passed a few months ago, and I snatched up his bike the first day they had the garage door open! Barely ridden with just 9800 miles! They couldn't hind the key in all the mess so had to order one from BMW and just received in the mail ... super excited to start getting her running again!

Recently built up a dilapidated old Kawasaki KZP into a street fighter but could never really cruise in it due to the gearing. Barely have a 100 miles in it due to some small issues too. So hopefully, I can get the BMW running well enough to do that. Had to sell two other Yamahas to make space, but I think it's worth the sacrifice, haha.

My history is in GM performance and drag racing etc. and currently own a turbo Silverado; with a couple of Camaro and TransAm under my belt as previously owned.

Anyway, found this site every time I researched something about the BMW so here I am!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

• Annapolis, MD
  • 1995 BMW K1100LT
1995 BMW K1100LT, 1983 Kawasaki KZ1000P, 2009 Silverado Turbo

Offline Martin

• ^ Quintessential Motobricker
Re: New K1100LT owner from Annapolis, MD (USA)
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2018, 02:54:18 PM »
Welcome to the asylum from the land of OZ. Nice find, check and replace fuel lines and vacuum cap rubbers check the fuel pump mounting damper. Internal fuel tank lines must be rated submersible and use fuel line type hose clips not the worm drive ones as they speed up delamination in the tank. DeoxIT will become your best friend, it is advisable to clean all your electrical connectors it will save you a lot of future headaches. Once going check for air leaks.  :2thumbup:
Regards Martin.
  • North Lakes Queensland Australia
  • 1992 K75s Hybrid, Lefaux, Vespa V twin.

Offline Mean Green Z28

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2018, 05:01:10 PM »
Thanks, took the fuel tank apart and bench tested the fuel pump ...no turny turny, just a humm. Also, the rubber mount is perished and the mounting clips on the plastic holder is cracked and tabs broken. So, got on ebay and ordered a complete kit. Should be here in a few days. I guess until that, I can clean out the tank, get a new battery and start looking into other issues.

One thing I noticed was that when I turned the key on (used a spare battery from other bike), there was a click heard below seat area and the ABS and another orange light just flashed continuously.  Stops linking when I push the ABS button, but the orange light stays on.  Is it a ABS issue?
  • Annapolis, MD
  • 1995 BMW K1100LT

Offline Martin

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2018, 05:11:25 PM »
Never got into ABS, so some of the other inmates will answer you on that. However low battery voltage can cause problems with ABS. The pumps can sometimes be persuaded to come to life by soaking them in white vinegar for a week or two. Once soaked apply power briefly and swap the polarity back and forth. A mate as a last ditch effort resurrected his by briefly applying 18v and swapping the polarity. If you do resurrect it flush it out before storing and spray contact cleaner lubricant ( or similar)into it.
Regards Martin.
  • North Lakes Queensland Australia
  • 1992 K75s Hybrid, Lefaux, Vespa V twin.

Offline Mean Green Z28

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2018, 05:25:52 PM »
Thanks Martin. Read somewhere else that it is normal and does it when power is low or before bike is started and you start riding.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

• Annapolis, MD
  • 1995 BMW K1100LT

Offline alexg

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2018, 06:58:32 PM »
Hi:
Nice find, hope the long period of not running did not affect it too bad.

Regarding the ABS, the light should blink until the wheel speed sensors send a signal to the computer. If the blinking continues after a few meters running, then there might be a problem with the ABS computer. Look up on this site for reset sequences and also repair options.

Enjoy the ride.
  • Michigan
  • '93 K75S, 1975 BMW R75/6 & 1984 Yamaha RZ350
Alex G.

Offline billday

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2018, 07:44:31 PM »
Have fun with that, and post lots of pictures.
  • New York State, USA 10977
  • 1985 K100

Offline Barry in IN

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2018, 11:55:45 PM »
Welcome and congratulations.
I was looking at a K100 in similar condition a while back.  I sometimes regret not getting it and am sometimes relieved. 
  • Indiana
  • 1992 K75S Lili Von Shtuppe
A pox on cafe “builders”

Tags: