Author Topic: 09-06-06 John Day Orogoon  (Read 3358 times)

Offline johnny

• TrailBrakingThrottleWhacker
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
  • Whacking...n...Chopping Sliding...n...High Siding
09-06-06 John Day Orogoon
« on: May 01, 2011, 02:03:05 PM »

we rolled into hillsboro or on friday evening and got the motobrick ready for the weekend... at first light we headed out over mt hood on or 26...

we have been here before... but have never seen the mountain... last time we were here it was 40 degrees and raining... shortly after that ride we scored electrics... never looked back...

it rained the whole way with dense fog and patchy fog all the way to pine grove on or 216... thats when i caught what i thought was mt hood out of the corner of my eye... come to find out it was mt jefferson...

we have not explored the orogoon cascades as much as we would like... just being in the area the first of june every year... just a little too early...  so i didnt even know about mt jefferson or the three sisters... but we finally figured it out with the help of some vstrom riders from bend...

at maupin we crossed the deschutes river... it was carving an impressive canyon... just a tease for things to come...

train tracks followed the river... looks like grain cars were hauling their loads to the mill...

we picked up bakeoven road to shaniko... taking in the sights... orogoon pretty much has it all...

or 218 from shaniko to fossil... o my... this is a must ride... smooth black asphalt... clean road... a mix of sweeper madness and some peg scrapers... and the scenery was really interesting...

heading down into the valley of the clamo fossil palisades...

clamo...

rolling onto fossil...

lunch at fossil... and fellowship with the vstrom riders...

the johnny burger... yummy...

the micki ruben... yummy...

there is fossil fuel in fossil... crazy aint it...

heading out on or 19 for service creek.... little one laying down... they just couldnt take it anymore...

or 19 service creek to mitchell...

rattle snakes were everywhere... many didnt make it home...

us 26 from maxwell to the john day fossil beds...

back on the or 19... looping the area from spay to kimberly to long creek...

the condon fossil museum...

heading up or 19 to kimberly...

the kimberly long creek highway...

donkey... there were many today... got a photo of this one...

honest horse country here in orogoon... happy horses... they got it all... green grass... shade trees... cool fresh water streams...

bad cows... i could see it in their eyes... they knew they were bad and got caught...

sunken mountain...

us395 long creek to mt vernon... there is no fuel in long creek...  we crested the pass and i pulled in the clutch and coasted most of the way to mt vernon... remember... there is no fuel in long creek... dang that was the closest ever...

weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeehewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww....

we stayed at the budget 8 in john day... $50... its usa owned and operated... newly updated... one of the cleanest places ever...

sunday makes way to more cloudy skies and colder temperatures... we keep looping the john day area...

the john day overlook on us 26 east of picture gorge...

picture gorge from the overlook...

picture gorge...

[

lotts o this going on... signaling deer and antelope to other motoriders...

we rolled over the truck scales... the fully loaded 2 up motobrick... 1200 pounds...

rolling us 395 from us 26 to the izze paulina highway...

the izze paulina highway... this moe runs 130 miles of desolation... didnt see another person for 100 miles...

its a real beauty out here in the hinterlands...

saw several antelope...

wild horses...

the little one was splashing with its paws... frolicking around a little...

more izze paulina...

we fueled up at prinville and took us 26 back to hillsboro... once again mt hood was in fog and rain... o well... but we got to see the 3 sisters and mt jefferson off in the distance...

hood...

thats all... 972 glorious miles... next up... the cascade passes... i hope...

j o
  • :johnny i parks my 96 eleven hundert rs motobrick in dodge county cheezconsin  :johnny

Tags: