Author Topic: Duratech waterproof fuel pump 4 pin connector replacement.  (Read 4042 times)

Offline Martin

• ^ Quintessential Motobricker
Duratech waterproof fuel pump 4 pin connector replacement.
« on: December 22, 2017, 09:07:20 PM »
After my Bricks little hissy fit alternator brushes, relays, battery and four pin connector I decided I deserved a long ride. To be sure I thought I'd start it before I put my gear on, fine it burst into life at the first touch, yipee :clap:. I went and changed into my riding gear opened the garage door and went to start the bike it didn't fire. I checked the four pin connector resprayed it with both DeoxIT's and it fired up. I decided then and there that today's ride would be postponed and I would be replacing the 4 pin connector. To be fair I think it has only played up once before in the twenty years I have owned it.

I read up on fitting the Duratech connector and they advised that there special crimper be used. I rang Jaycar and asked if they had one they said no, but they had one that would do the job. The Brick was running, so off to Jaycar, I saw the guy who I had talked to on the phone and he tried to sell me one of those cheap flat crimpers. I said no that I had two of those and I wanted to crimp Duratech connectors. He then showed me a Duratech crimper designed especially for the Duratech waterproof connectors. :dunno They should install a brick wall for customers to bang their heads against. The cost of the crimper was $14.00 Au and it was not listed on the Jaycar site.

I had to fiddle with the 4 pin connector a few times at Jaycar to get the fuel pump running. There is a site on how to fit the connectors https://www.wikihow.com/Assemble-Weather-Pack-Connectors  I have used a similar type before that used plastic wedges however the Duratech looks heaps easier and better.
Regards Martin.

* Duratech.jpg (13.54 kB . 401x125 - viewed 299 times)

• North Lakes Queensland Australia
  • 1992 K75s Hybrid, Lefaux, Vespa V twin.

Offline Martin

Re: Duratech waterproof fuel pump 4 pin connector replacement.
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2017, 05:56:45 AM »
Duratech crimper was useless, I ended up using small flat bladed pliers. Go slow and make sure you have the pins in the right holes before pushing them fully in. Once in and locked a special tool is required to remove them.
Regards Martin.

* Duratech 3.jpg (60.36 kB . 768x576 - viewed 311 times)
* Duratech 2.jpg (83.74 kB . 768x576 - viewed 291 times)
* Duratech 1.jpg (68.18 kB . 648x486 - viewed 317 times)
* Duratech 4.jpg (17.4 kB . 256x192 - viewed 263 times)
* Duratech 5.jpg (84.06 kB . 768x576 - viewed 301 times)

Offline RobP

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2017, 09:01:40 AM »
I use a GM / Delphi Weatherpack crimp connector for these types of terminals and it seems to work fine.   Most recently, used it to install some Weatherpack terminals on the heated grip wiring.
  • Driftwood, TX
  • 1985 K100RS

Offline billday

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2017, 09:26:46 AM »
So wait a minute . . . you didn't say whether the bike's starting now, and whether you got your ride in . . .

This fix does not apply to the earliest bricks, which makes reading about them annoying (to me).

I think people have used garden variety trailer hitch connectors with success.
  • New York State, USA 10977
  • 1985 K100

Offline beemuker

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2017, 01:59:06 PM »
So wait a minute . . . you didn't say whether the bike's starting now, and whether you got your ride in . . .

This fix does not apply to the earliest bricks, which makes reading about them annoying (to me).

I think people have used garden variety trailer hitch connectors with success.
that’s what I used when repairing the connector on a R1100. Seemed to work fine.
  • Panama City, FL
  • '00 R1100RT,’92 K75 RT,past tense:'83 R80ST, '93 K1100LT,,94 R1100RS K75s, Honda NC700, Suzuki Bandit 1200, bmw R75/5 Honda 750

Offline Martin

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2017, 02:26:10 PM »
My brick has never really had a 4 pin connector problem until now. I've had it twenty years and I believe I have only had to clean it once. However this time round for some reason the connector kept on playing up. Three applications of DeoxIT and I flattened the male pins slightly but it would still play up. It only started playing up after I disconnected it while chasing the relay problem. With the change of plug it has gone back to virtually starting by telekinesis. Sneeze in it's general direction and it will start, the new battery has helped. I'm very happy with the outcome, I've got a mate who insists on persevering with the stock connector, cleaning it with acid and a tiny paintbrush. Although normally very patient I don't have the patience to keep stuffing around with a problem that has an obvious and easy long lasting cure. I will be going for a blast today.
Regards Martin.

Offline billday

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2017, 03:41:43 PM »
Happy riding!

Cold rain today, snow tomorrow here in New York State, USA, Northern Hemisphere.
  • New York State, USA 10977
  • 1985 K100

Offline Martin

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2017, 04:23:28 PM »
Bill 29 C today and yesterday. I cheated, due to the Honourable Minister for Finance and Recreations absence, she is on a Ministerial visit to Melbourne to see  new granddaughter. I beefed up the cooling in the garage by leaving the connecting door between the garage and house open and turned the A/C up. :nono :hehehe I did think about trying to get the Brick into the lounge room and take a picture but fear got the better of me. :dunno2:
Regards Martin.

Offline The Mighty Gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2017, 05:01:10 PM »
Martin, that wasn't fear.  It was a well founded sense of self-preservation.
  • In my garage in Marilla, NY
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:
'91 K100RS16V "Moby Brick Too"

Past:
'94 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
'92 K100RS16V "Moby Brick" (RIP, deceased in a vehicular assault)
'94 K75S Special Edition Dakar Yellow "Cheetos"
'89 K100RS Special Edition "Special Ed"

Offline Martin

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2017, 05:20:11 PM »
Gryph when I was first married, I did rebuild a Honda 500T in the spare bedroom. And on occasion when she was absent  I would ride into the laundry to work out of the rain. :hehehe I think those days are long gone I was very tempted, I even worked out that I could get it in through the sliding glass patio door. :hehehe Still thinking.
Regards Martin.

Tags: