Author Topic: Source for Silk Blue paint?  (Read 3585 times)

Offline beemerphile

• ^ Motobrick Curious
Source for Silk Blue paint?
« on: December 20, 2017, 04:04:33 PM »
I have had no luck trying to locate a source for touch-up quantities of Silk Blue paint for my 93 K11RS.  Does anyone know of a US source?  I found a source in the UK, but they could not get around shipping restrictions.  I have a small punch-through hole in the upper fairing and would like to avoid a complete repaint.
  • Danielsville, GA 30633
  • 1993 K1100RS "Lenora"
Lee

Offline The Mighty Gryphon

• Administrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
Re: Source for Silk Blue paint?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2017, 09:24:35 PM »
Have you tried taking a panel to a local auto paint supplier?  I've had very good luck with matching the Mystic Red on my RT at my supplier.  I don't know if they can mix a cc of paint. but I have been able to have them mix 4 ounces for me.  No problem with that amount, as long as the can is tightly sealed it should be good for at least five years.

• In my garage in Marilla, NY
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:
'91 K100RS16V "Moby Brick Too"

Past:
'94 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
'92 K100RS16V "Moby Brick" (RIP, deceased in a vehicular assault)
'94 K75S Special Edition Dakar Yellow "Cheetos"
'89 K100RS Special Edition "Special Ed"

Offline gone_ape

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
  • 94 K75RT (Now Standard)
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2017, 10:23:35 PM »
Poke around this site... I've used them for Mystic Red on my k75rt. Please note that, in my case,  Mystic Red has a metal flake to it and the  "speckles" in their rattle can paint were a slightly different size and therefore not perfect but the color was very very close....

https://www.66autocolor.com/Motorcycle-Paint-BMW-Blue-p/bmw-blue.htm

This site was helpful identifying the Glasurit Paint codes.  The sticker under your seat describes the "paint finish code scheme"  of the bike but not the actual paint code that we look for when researching paint color.  The finish code includes color the bike, of any pinstripe, panel insert color etc.....This may help....

http://www.bmbikes.co.uk/paintcodes/blues.htm

These guys are one of a few here in the States  that stock the actual paint BMW uses, if that makes any sense...be forewarned, it's expensive!  And I cant verify if they can supply touch up paint as you requested, but....

http://www.holtbmw.com/
  • Austin, TX

Offline gone_ape

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2017, 10:34:17 PM »
In addition, this conversation from a IBMWR forum post may explain a little better what I mentioned above....

k bike paint
Where can i after market paint to match for 1995 k75 code # 689 mystic red?

689 is NOT your paint code. It is the overall "finish code", which in turn calls out the REAL paint code "# 323 Mystic Red"

Here is a site that lists most of the finish and paint code numbers....
http://www.bmbikes.co.uk/paintcodes.htm

Glasurit (a BASF company) is BMW's paint supplier, and they created the original formula for the original paint. Any shop that paints Glasurit paint, will have the exact formula for #323 Mystic Red in their computer. Glasurit is the best paint there is.... a perfect match, not only for color, but also the metallic pigments, which other paint companies can only guess at.

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2017, 11:57:39 PM »
Yeah, been down the Glasurit road.  2K three coat paint systems with components that will cost a couple hundred bucks for a touch up.  Then you have to do let down cards pissing away lots of time and materials to get the midcoat right(good luck if you have a shop do the repair $$$$).

The guys I go to supply a lot of collision shops and custom builders and restorers.  They were able to give me a base coat/clear coat in 1K acrylic that is simple to apply with my Badger airbrush and is indistinguishable from the factory paint.  Applied over the lightest gray primer the result is perfect.  To do the same repairs with Glasurit tri-coat you pretty much have to strip and repaint the entire part where the stuff I have can easily be blended in with my airbrush.

If you can't get what you need locally, these guys can get you what you need.  I used them until I found the local guys.   http://cyclecolor.com/    The website is a mess to navigate, but their paint match is good and they sell it in 2 ounce bottles.
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:

Past:

Offline beemerphile

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2017, 08:27:48 AM »
You guys are talking me into a repaint.  I found the Glasurit paint code for 691 Silk Blue, but dead-ended on it.

thx much.

Lee
  • Danielsville, GA 30633
  • 1993 K1100RS "Lenora"
Lee

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2017, 11:06:00 AM »
Do you have a photo of your bike?  I just bought a pair of battery covers that I think may be silk blue, but I've never seen the color so can't say for sure.  I'm going to see my paint guys today and I can take one of the covers to see what they say about matching it.  I'm refinishing them in a pearl white so the original color won't be there much longer.

Also, can you post a photo of the damage?  Not sure I understand what you are dealing with.
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:

Past:

Offline beemerphile

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2017, 12:57:03 PM »
Do you have a photo of your bike?  I just bought a pair of battery covers that I think may be silk blue, but I've never seen the color so can't say for sure.  I'm going to see my paint guys today and I can take one of the covers to see what they say about matching it.  I'm refinishing them in a pearl white so the original color won't be there much longer.

Also, can you post a photo of the damage?  Not sure I understand what you are dealing with.

I'll shoot a pic today.  I have the fairing off the bike for maintenance.

• Danielsville, GA 30633
  • 1993 K1100RS "Lenora"
Lee

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2017, 01:22:25 PM »
Lee, my covers look close, but your bike looks like it has a very tiny bit of green tint.  Could be my screen. 

I would think your paint can be matched close enough that no one could tell even when close enough to touch the bike. 

Anyway, I'll let you know what I can find out.
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:

Past:

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2017, 03:05:08 PM »
No problem copying anything as long as they have a sample of the paint color to copy according to my paint guys.  According to the guy I talked to their computer scanner can determine the tint of the base, and there are only a couple flake sizes that need to be matched.  Then, it's a matter of blending the repair into the original finish.  I've found that even a cheap airbrush does the job if set to put the paint on very lightly with a lot of coats to get to full coverage.  From there, it's up to you if you want to have the whole part clear coated by a pro or whether you want to clear the repair and rub out the transition in the clear.

Have you heard of these guys in Athens?  http://www.apscoathens.com/products/automotive-coatings/sikkens/

They look like they can help you.  Take one of your battery covers with you, and they may be able to scan the paint.  That's how I got the match for my K75RT's Mystic red.   They probably can also give you good information on doing the repair.

On my covers, the back side looks like it has the base coat without clear.  That would be a good place to test the match by doing a shot of the touchup paint over some white primer.

Another thought.  If these guys can't help you, try to look for any websites for classic or custom car clubs in the area.  They may have sponsors, and if they do, that may be a good place to find the paint suppliers who will give you the service you need.  Heck, you might even be able to find someone who can do the repair for you for a reasonable price.
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:

Past:

Offline beemerphile

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2017, 03:15:28 PM »

Have you heard of these guys in Athens?  http://www.apscoathens.com/products/automotive-coatings/sikkens/

Yes, I have bought from them before but I hadn't considered that they could do a small enough quantity for a touch-up.  It is worth a call to them or a trip by with the sample part.  Thanks for your well considered response to my tale of woe.

best - Lee
  • Danielsville, GA 30633
  • 1993 K1100RS "Lenora"
Lee

Tags: