Author Topic: Thinking of buying a K75s for a project, have questions.  (Read 17617 times)

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
Re: Thinking of buying a K75s for a project, have questions.
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2017, 07:26:50 AM »
How big of a deal is this and can it be easily fixed or would I need to buy a new tank?
rbm has summed up the situation and the main approaches for remedy. The tank is leaking fuel from one or more pinholes, that's for sure.

Some owners have written that they've successfully repaired such tanks by correctly applying one of several compounds made for coating fuel tanks. That is a process having several steps that must be carefully performed but usually no special tools are required. I can't say if you'd consider such a process easy. Here is one product. 

The seller makes it seem easy but a leaking tank on a K-bike probably contains some decomposed rubber and other debris that needs to be washed out. Vinegar solutions have been used for that purpose. The fuel pump and fuel sender would be removed and the fuel sender's opening would be plugged before application of the sealer. It isn't as easy as buying a fuel tank that doesn't leak, depending on the effort it took to earn the money that is being spent, of course.
 :giggles

There are many threads here about cleaning and repairing tanks that are compromised.
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles
I wept because I had no radials until I met a man who had no splines.
https://tinyurl.com/RillRider

Offline Bee Em Dubbs

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2017, 10:44:36 PM »
The bike didn't start and we suspect it's the battery. I would buy the Odyssey battery that everyone suggests but since I don't want to be stuck with it if the battery isn't the problem, I'd like to try a cheap battery. I've read through numerous threads on batteries but people are asking for the smallest batteries and other things and wondering if they will work.
Can anyone suggest a cheapish but not crappy battery that can fit the 1994 k75s ABS bike and get it running?
  • San Diego
  • None yet

Offline Martin

« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2017, 11:28:45 PM »
Take a set of jumper leads and jump start it off your car. Check you cars manual for the correct procedure for jump starting,  as some of the newer vehicles have a specific procedure that must be adhered to.
Regards Martin.
  • North Lakes Queensland Australia
  • 1992 K75s Hybrid, Lefaux, Vespa V twin.

Offline The Mighty Gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2017, 11:31:51 PM »
Have you checked Walmart?  While I've not bought a battery for any of my bikes there, I have bought batteries for autos, boats and lawn tractors.  I have been quite happy with their batteries.  Get an AGM battery if possible.  It doesn't require that you add water, and if you happen to drop your bike it won't leak acid all over the place.
  • In my garage in Marilla, NY
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:
'91 K100RS16V "Moby Brick Too"

Past:
'94 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
'92 K100RS16V "Moby Brick" (RIP, deceased in a vehicular assault)
'94 K75S Special Edition Dakar Yellow "Cheetos"
'89 K100RS Special Edition "Special Ed"

Offline Bee Em Dubbs

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2017, 11:59:27 PM »
The owner tried charging the battery but it wouldn't hold a charge.

And I haven't checked Walmart or anywhere yet because I'm not sure exactly what to look for. I don't know how big or small it needs to be, or how much power. I was hoping someone could just suggest a $50 battery I could easily find locally.
  • San Diego
  • None yet

• Administrator
« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2017, 09:03:08 AM »
It seems to me that if the seller really wants to sell the bike it should be in running condition, and that includes having a battery capable of starting the engine.  Unless he is willing to subtract the cost of the battery from the selling price I would tell him to call you when the bike has a battery that can spin the starter.

The difference between a good battery and a crap battery isn't that much, until you figure how much per year the cheap battery is going to cost you when you have to replace it after just two years.

Regarding specs, you need at least 20 amp hours(AH) and 255 cold cranking amps(CCA).
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:

Past:

Offline duckytran

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
« Reply #31 on: December 12, 2017, 09:20:09 AM »
I got a Duracell from the Battery Plus store. It's one of the cheaper one out there for K-Bikes.

[/size]Model: DURDC12-20NB[/color]
  • Austin, Texas
  • 1993 K75, 1981 R65

Offline Bee Em Dubbs

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2017, 10:12:23 AM »
Thanks guys, both helpful answers.

And the guy is old, and already said he could sell the bike for $2200 instead of $2600. So I figured I could save him some trouble and get a battery.
  • San Diego
  • None yet

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
« Reply #33 on: December 12, 2017, 10:35:53 AM »
And the guy is old, and already said he could sell the bike for $2200 instead of $2600. So I figured I could save him some trouble and get a battery.
It seems unwise to spend money on a bike you don't own. I'm old, too. Send me via PayPal the $70 or so a new battery will cost and I'll give you three months worth of sound emotional and spiritual guidance. With either option, you probably won't have a bike you can ride any time soon. :giggles

Beyond that, unless you have a well-supplied tool box and an understanding of how internal combustion engines and their electrical systems work, you are setting yourself up for a difficult time. Bikes that leak from those seams tend to be bikes that have not been ridden very much or else stored for long terms with fuel aging in their tanks. Either condition can create problems that involve both the fuel and the electrical components of the bike.

Rescuing bikes is not like rescuing dogs either. The main difference is that bikes won't suffer without rescue but their new owners will suffer rescuing  them. :giggles

I do believe that miracles can happen.  :2thumbup:   
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles
I wept because I had no radials until I met a man who had no splines.
https://tinyurl.com/RillRider

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: December 12, 2017, 11:11:13 AM »
Not to throw water on your enthusiasm, but in my opinion, a '94 with 65K miles and not running is not a deal even at $2200. 

With that corrosion damage you are looking at a tank repair that will require repainting the tank.  Even if you do all the work yourself, the materials for a good job will set you back at least $150.  The badges alone will cost you over $60.

Then add about $100 for a battery.  Install it, and find out the bike has sat long enough to require the injectors to be cleaned.  Another $75-100.  Have you looked in the tank?  If there is corrosion causing a leak, the bike has sat long enough to turn the fuel pump mounting rubber to black goo.  If you have to replace the rubber, look at nearly another $100.  Then there is also a good chance the fuel pump is toast.  OEM is well over $200, and aftermarket pumps can be $75 and up. 

How old are the tires?  If the bike has sat for a number of years the tires can be over four years old and dangerous to ride on.  A set of Shinko Tourmasters, which are the cheapest good quality tires you can find for that bike, will cost you about another $200.  For "name brand" tires you can easily go for over $300.

Do the master cylinders leak?  A bike that has sat can have corroded cylinder bores in the brake master cylinders(and possibly the calipers) that can cost a lot to repair.  Just buying a rear master cylinder rebuild kit can set you back nearly $100.  These bikes do not like to be idle for long periods.  Long storage might be okay if there are service records showing maintenance during the storage period on time dependent items like brake fluid flushes.   Unfortunately, I have never seen a bike stored for a long time that had service of any kind done during the storage period.

Find a jump box to get the engine to turn over, and possibly start.  Ask the owner to let you remove the filler and look in the tank with a flashlight. You want to see a nice clean aluminum interior.  If it starts and idles and can be revved, the interior of the tank is clean, and the brakes levers have a firm feel, the $2200 price might be fair if everything else is okay. 

There are bikes out there in the $2200 price range that are being used daily and don't have the potential issues I have listed above so they can be started up and rode home.  A high mileage daily rider is often a better deal than a low mileage bike that has been in the garage for a long time.  This is especially true if you are not an experienced wrench and might need to hire out some of the required jobs.
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:

Past:

Offline riots100

« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2017, 12:59:03 PM »
I know of a perfectly running K75 in Southern California that can be had for two-thirds of that price. (contact me off list if you want to know more) I wouldn't pay more than $1000 for a non-runner.  If the owner wants more, they can get it running and show you how good it is.
  • Los Angeles, CA
  • 1992 K75, 2007 K1200GT, 1991 K100RS
----
BDJ

Offline jakgieger

• itinerant farmer
  • ^ SuperNatural Motobricker
« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2017, 07:46:13 PM »
I would strongly recommend that you take the advice offered here and look for another bike.  I bought a garage queen (non-running for 12+ years), but am relatively mechanically skilled and wanted THIS EXACT model of bike.  Now I own a restored vintage motorcycle for the mere price of two normal K's :bmwsmile .  I am not overly bothered though because my first bike was a toaster R60/5.  I apparently have a weakness for unique bikes.  Based upon you original post you would be better served by an operating machine.  Good luck.
  • Kansas USA
  • 1989 K100rs se
"What we've got here is failure, to communicate.  Some men, you just cain't reach.  So you get what we had here last week.  Which is the way he wants it...Well, he gets it.  I don't like it any more than you men do."

Offline Scud

« Reply #37 on: December 13, 2017, 02:11:46 AM »
That yellow non-op K75s has been on and off San Diego Craigslist for about 2 years.

I agree that a running bike would make a better cafe conversion.
  • Carlsbad, CA
  • 1992 K75s. 2002 Moto Guzzi V11 Scura, 2003 Moto Guzzi V11 LeMans. 2007 Husqvarna TE450

Offline Bee Em Dubbs

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #38 on: December 13, 2017, 09:57:33 AM »
Thanks everyone for the sound advice, I'm no longer interested in the yellow brick and have had two members reach out offering to sell me their bikes which I will look into.
  • San Diego
  • None yet

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: December 13, 2017, 01:10:29 PM »
Enjoy the hunt.  It's a good way to learn about these bikes.  Good luck!

Everytime I am looking for a K bike, it seems that they are all in southern California.
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:

Past:

Offline Skunky

« Reply #40 on: December 14, 2017, 06:03:55 AM »
Enjoy the hunt.  It's a good way to learn about these bikes.  Good luck!

Everytime I am looking for a K bike, it seems that they are all in southern California.

Ah Southern California, the land of the Rust Free..
  • Derby GB
  • BMW K100lt
Rebuild it and they will come..
90 K100lt
Triumph Thruxton 900
Honda CB400F

Offline Scud

« Reply #41 on: December 16, 2017, 11:47:06 AM »

Ah Southern California, the land of the Rust Free..

Except for the salty sea air condensation along the coast (for bikes that spend some nights outside). Here in So Cal, we think of Arizona vehicles as being the rust-free examples.
  • Carlsbad, CA
  • 1992 K75s. 2002 Moto Guzzi V11 Scura, 2003 Moto Guzzi V11 LeMans. 2007 Husqvarna TE450

Offline bocutter Ed

« Reply #42 on: December 16, 2017, 07:12:13 PM »
Rust free up here is the Prairies. There's no salt on the roads in winter because the salt water freezes, brrr.  :yow
  • Toronto, Canada
  • '61 Puch DS60 - '66 Puch 250 SGS - '87 BMW K75s

Offline Rcgreaves

• "I'd rather be flying, but this will do nicely"
« Reply #43 on: January 13, 2018, 01:51:20 AM »
Found this thread on a sleepless night.  Kudos to my asylum- mates for the well measured, care filled feedback.  K lovers come in many forms.

Sent from my LGL58VL using Tapatalk

• Livingston in Southwest WI. USA-"With the good earth all around."
  • 94' K75S, 85' GL1200 Aspencade, 96' VFR750F, 01' GL1800. Restoring: 95' K1100RS, 83' R80RT NEW: Motorvation Formula II
Doing “better than I deserve"

Tags: