Author Topic: The Resurrection of Moby Brick  (Read 23319 times)

Offline The Mighty Gryphon

• Administrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
Re: The Resurrection of Moby Brick
« Reply #50 on: January 21, 2018, 08:48:35 PM »
Went out to the garage for a bit this evening and drained the tank so I could flip it over to inspect the connections a bit more closely.  I was able to confirm that the connection between the brown wire and the grounding of the tank had failed.  I was also able to confirm that the grounding inside the tank itself was still intact.

My solution was to solder a short piece of wire to the tank plug brown wire and connect it to one of the screws that fastens the level sensor plate to the tank with a crimp-on ring terminal.

This now has my fuel level light and gauge working properly(properly that is, if the idiot light circuit has a 10-15 second time delay in it which I suspect it does), but there is still a problem with the fuel pump, possibly two.  When the ignition is turned on, there is 12 volts at the connector for the tank all the time.  Being a Motronic system, I would expect it to only be present for a second or two to prime the rail and then shut off until the engine is turning with the starter.   

The second problem is that the pump does not run.  I am sure the pump wiring is good since I am able to confirm continuity through the pump between the +12v and ground terminals on the tank pigtail.

I guess the first order of business now is to remove the pump and do a bench test to see if it was damaged somehow when the tank was bouncing merrily down the road.  Then I need to see if the fuel pump relay has been damaged as well.  Maybe tomorrow, maybe later this week.  Feeling a little nervous as this may indicate not only a pump, but a Motronic problem as well.
  • In my garage in Marilla, NY
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:
'91 K100RS16V "Moby Brick Too"

Past:
'94 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
'92 K100RS16V "Moby Brick" (RIP, deceased in a vehicular assault)
'94 K75S Special Edition Dakar Yellow "Cheetos"
'89 K100RS Special Edition "Special Ed"

• Administrator
« Reply #51 on: January 22, 2018, 04:58:36 PM »
It's alive!!!

Repaired the tank pigtail and moved all the internals from the old tank to the new.  Set the choke, cycled the ignition switch a few times to prime the injectors and hit the starter.  About one second of cranking later the engine coughed a few times and settled into fast idle at 1200rpm.

You know how bricks like to smoke when you park them for a while on the side stand? Imagine what it's like to have the bike laying on it's left side for three weeks.  It took about two minutes of running to get the smoke out of the exhaust and over an hour to clear the garage because for the first time in a couple of weeks it has been dead calm.
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:

Past:

Offline rbm

« Reply #52 on: January 22, 2018, 05:48:35 PM »
Congratulations on achieving that milestone Gryph!  Well done.  Quite the cloud of blue smoke there.  One might think you've been vaping in the garage.
  • Regards, Robert
Toronto, Ontario

1987 K75 - Build Blog @http://k75retro.blogspot.ca/

• Administrator
« Reply #53 on: January 22, 2018, 06:56:34 PM »
Down to the short strokes now.  Shorten the right end of the handlebars, connect the fan override and oil window lights, find out what is rubbing in the swing arm, and install some pretty stainless fasteners in the forks and triple clamps.  From there I just need to finish prepping the bodywork for paint.  Then there's nothing until the weather warms up enough to shoot the paint in the garage, probably May.
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:

Past:

Offline Martin

« Reply #54 on: January 22, 2018, 08:30:55 PM »
 :clap:Gryph good to see. At least now your garage will be fumigated and critter fee.
Regards Martin.
  • North Lakes Queensland Australia
  • 1992 K75s Hybrid, Lefaux, Vespa V twin.

• Administrator
« Reply #55 on: February 11, 2018, 02:08:34 PM »
Back on February 4th I picked up another(!) K100RS in pearl silver with 0nly 31,000 miles to ultimately be the new Moby Brick.  Paint is in very good condition, so I will be swapping body parts to the old Moby Brick to ready it to be sold.

For the last couple days, I have been removing body parts from the new bike, cleaning, detailing and installing them on the old bike.  So far, I have installed the tail cowl, tank and the front mudguard.  I've also been working on the K1100RS fairing parts that are going onto the new bike.  While the new bike has good paint, there was some serious peeling on the battery covers that needed to be repaired. 

I took one of the covers to the auto paint shop where I get my paint supplies, and we sanded the cover I brought to reveal the base and mid coat paint films so they could match them.  With the paint matched, I brought the cover home and did the prep work to getting the prime on.  In a few days, I hope to have my let down card done and the weather will be warm enough to get the covers and a bad spot on the tank done.

With the covers prepped, I went out and worked on the old bike a bit more.  Since fork boots are an acquired taste thing I figured that if I was going to sell the bike I should probably remove them.  I also swapped out the switch pad which I had modified with aftermarket switches so the old bike would look more stock.

With all the other maintenance items covered, I set the idle position on the throttle position sensor by grounding pin #3 on the diagnostic plug and setting the sensor so the
temperature light goes out when the throttle is just opened from idle.  Before doing the adjustment, I took the opportunity to clean the choke light switch so it worked properly again.  Then I started the engine and after it warmed up I balanced the throttle bodies.   

I have accumulated the tools for the tool kit, with the crap strap that holds the kit together falling apart, I have ordered some 1/2" webbing to replace it.  I should have it tomorrow, and will get some rivets to put the new strap on the roll.

With the engine purring now, and most of the body parts ready to swap it is just down to a couple of details and the main fairing to have the Mighty Moby Brick ready for the road again.
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:

Past:

Offline Martin

« Reply #56 on: February 11, 2018, 03:14:20 PM »
 :2thumbup: Looking very good Gryph, looks a good as if not better than new.  :clap:
Regards Martin.

• Administrator
« Reply #57 on: February 11, 2018, 09:42:06 PM »
Right now it actually looks better than the new one. 

Once the old one is finished and up on Craig's List I'll be throwing a bunch of love at the new one.  It needs a really good cleaning and a complete fluid change.  Then some little personal touches like manual fan switch, headlight relays, driving lights, oil sight glass light, and stainless fasteners.  Then, there is the new special ed paint job that has to go on the body parts.

Not sure I'll get it all done for the summer riding season.  My sailboat is 50 years old this year and needs a lot of work to bring up to how I want it.  That's going to consume nearly all of my April and May.  Fortunately, most of the fairing for the new bike is primed and ready for paint, but I still have to build my paint booth and wait for warmer weather before I can shoot.  It's going to be a busy Spring.
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:

Past:

• Administrator
« Reply #58 on: February 16, 2018, 10:16:55 AM »
Two warm days here and I was able to do the paint work on the battery covers and tank.

Spent the afternoon installing the fairing yesterday and found out I had the turn signal wires for the front signals backwards!  Took another hour or so to get the wires crossed back to where they should be.  I can't believe how many times I thought about checking them and didn't. 

Anyway, he's pretty much ready for the road.  All I need to do now is get the blocks out from under the engine and install the engine fairing.  I am pretty sure I am going to miss this bike.  Wish I could talk the wife into parking her car out in the driveway...
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:

Past:

Offline Martin

« Reply #59 on: February 16, 2018, 12:40:21 PM »
 :2thumbup: :clap: Absolutely brilliant job, looks better than new. Maybe it's time to put a mezzanine in, or a cellar. :dunno It'll be cheaper than a divorce. The Honourable Ministers transportation has to be parked in the garage every night. I had to miss Dump Day Friday stuffed left shoulder and she won't let me take the car to the dump. It's sort of like demolition derby, I've had my mirrors clipped three times. I now park the brick were the tin tops can't get at it.  :falldown:
Regards Martin.

Offline Filmcamera

« Reply #60 on: February 16, 2018, 01:48:13 PM »
Motorbike Garage

Nuff said...  :eek: :2thumbup: :riding:
  • San Jose, Costa Rica
  • 1991 K100RS 16v ABS1, 2018 Triumph Street Triple RS 765
Poserbricker

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
« Reply #61 on: February 16, 2018, 01:53:57 PM »
Moby Brick seeks thee not. It is thou, thou, that madly seekest him!
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles
I wept because I had no radials until I met a man who had no splines.
https://tinyurl.com/RillRider

• Administrator
« Reply #62 on: February 16, 2018, 02:02:23 PM »

Laitch, truly a man of letters.
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:

Past:

Offline woodgeek

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
« Reply #63 on: February 16, 2018, 04:04:54 PM »
Looking beautiful Gryph! Great rebuild.

Thanks for posting pics of your rebuild. I had no idea how easy taking the frame off the drivetrain was while working on a K. I'm definitely going to do that before I start rebuilding mine. It will make assembling the intake much easier. It was tricky getting the airbox and throttle body off the engine with it all in one piece. I was wondering how it was going to go getting everything back in there preassembled.  :2thumbup:
  • Henderson, NV
  • 1985 K100RT

Offline woodgeek

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
« Reply #64 on: February 16, 2018, 04:12:23 PM »
Then when I put them on the bike I discovered that they were not really K100RS bars as they were quite a bit wider than the correct bars.  They also have a slightly different bend that doesn't line up correctly with the dash pad.  Not a big deal I thought, I'll just shorten them, but the bend doesn't allow the perches to be slid down the bar all the way to the ends of the pad.  Looks like I will have to live with a 3/8" gap between the perches and the pad.  I have the left end done, will have to do the throttle end this weekend.

Do you need some RS bars? I believe they're from a K1100RS. I bought these and I'm not going to use them. Not sure if they will work for you but here they are:

• Henderson, NV
  • 1985 K100RT

• Administrator
« Reply #65 on: February 16, 2018, 04:28:45 PM »
Crap!  If I had seen those a month ago it would have saved me at least two days of screwing around.  Got the ones I had working pretty well but without heated grips. 
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:

Past:

Offline bocutter Ed

• ^ SuperNatural Motobricker
« Reply #66 on: February 16, 2018, 05:25:08 PM »
Every time I hear of Moby Brick I'm expecting Cap'n A-hub will be following ...

Great job BTW (you should have asked me for that NOS tank).
  • Toronto, Canada
  • '61 Puch DS60 - '66 Puch 250 SGS - '87 BMW K75s

• Administrator
« Reply #67 on: February 17, 2018, 09:32:02 AM »
It had crossed my mind, Ed, but I didn't think my rebuild was a good use for a NOS tank.  Also, when I saw the one I will be using on Moby Brick Too I jumped on it because it had the Special Ed paint scheme that I could color match and get the correct striping layout from.
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:

Past:

Offline Timbox

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #68 on: February 19, 2018, 08:45:50 PM »
Nice read, great job on the rebuild.  Very well done.
  • Tomah, Wisconsin
  • 87 K100 RS
1987 K100RS current project :)
In shed: 07 Bandit 1250, 86 FJ1200, 85 Madura 1200 and KLR650

• Administrator
« Reply #69 on: February 19, 2018, 11:19:11 PM »
Thanks, Tim.  Was just looking at your bike.  It's gonna be a sweet ride.  Good luck and enjoy the time you spend getting it running again.
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:

Past:

Tags: