Author Topic: Bad rear brake hose?  (Read 2363 times)

Offline parabrick

• Motobrick Curious
Bad rear brake hose?
« on: November 25, 2017, 01:21:05 PM »
  Having just had the crown wheel bearing grenade and destroy itself and the seal, I have finally finished the rebuild of that part of the final drive.  (after stripping one of the retaining bolts for the disc not knowing that red loctite was used... I then tried to drill it out and use a reverse tap to remove it and managed to break the head off thus releasing the disc, but leaving the better half of the bolt firmly embedded in the outer case.. aargh!)  I then very unsuccessfully tried separating crown wheel from the inside bearing race. No go even with the increasingly abusive methods I utilized.  After much kicking and cussing I found a local machine shop that removed the bearing race and removed the bolt retapping it perfectly for $20.  Win!  With all my new parts in hand I then froze the crown wheel and baked the bearing to 200 degrees and watched them come together like magic.  Unreal! Replaced the seal, brought all the parts back together, torqued everything up, and decided to replace the rear pads due their bath of final drive oil.  Pulled off caliper, removed pads, tried to set pistons back to insert new pads but as I pushed one side in the other side would come back out, back and forth.  Threw some wedges in between, pushed on brake pedal to no avail.  I then noticed the flexible brake hose bulging like a balloon at the caliper whenever I pushed the pedal.  Great!  So, little doubt something is blocking the fluid from entering / exiting the caliper.  Research in this forum would seem to indicate that the hose has gone south, and rubber, junk, etc.  has blocked the intake.  Bought a caliper rebuild kit, going to have to get a new hose, but now wondering if this above this newbies abilities as far flushing the lines and replacing the hose. What I have found in this forum seems to make it pretty straight forward, but just hoping for some insight procedure wise.  For now very happy to say that she is rolling along just great and I am riding just utilizing the front brakes for stopping purposes.  If I begin the procedure for rebuilding the rear caliper, replacing the hose, and bleeding the rear, will I compromise the front braking abilities due to the ABS being in line?  If so, I will likely take the hit and turn this over to a pro because I can still at least ride till I take it in.  Thanks very much.
  • Springfield OR
  • 97 K 1100 LT

Offline alexis291

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
Re: Bad rear brake hose?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2017, 02:23:32 PM »
What bike have you got, old fruit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • UK
  • K1100RS 1995

Offline parabrick

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2017, 06:11:04 PM »
Thanx very much, it is a 1997 K1100 LT I  bought used from an old fellow who could no longer get it on / off the centerstand, and move it about.  It outweighed him by 500 + LBS.... My thought was that it would be a good opportunity to get some wrench time on it without hopefully compromising its ride ability to the shop if I screwed something up.... :dunno I have the Clymer manual, but it just doesnt seem that clear... I figured that as long as the front brakes worked I could still get it to the shop without having to have it trucked... any advice is greatly appreciated...
  • Springfield OR
  • 97 K 1100 LT

Offline alexis291

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2017, 03:32:36 AM »
I don't have practical experience of ABS1 but if your bike like mine has ABS2 then it's quite straightforward. The front and rear hydraulic systems are completely separate. You need to bleed the ABS unit first (the rear brake is the front nipple on the unit) and I have found that a vacuum pump works well. Take care with pedal free play adjustment so you don't end up with a binding brake like I did!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • UK
  • K1100RS 1995

Offline parabrick

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2017, 10:37:44 PM »
Pulled brake hose from caliper, pumped the brake, and watched as the black rubber oozed from the line.  Pulled the line, checked with dealer, Cost $58.00  Took line to local hydraulics place, replicated within 1 hour $23.00  :clap: Got off work,replaced line, bled brakes as instructed from ABS then rear caliper, tiny bit of drag on rear disc, test drove, disc cool enough to touch.  WIN! This forum Rocks!  Thanx  Alexis and all who post.
  • Springfield OR
  • 97 K 1100 LT

Tags: