Author Topic: Getting Fuel Injectors Reconditioned  (Read 30106 times)

Offline frankenduck

• Adrninistrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
Getting Fuel Injectors Reconditioned
« on: September 22, 2011, 08:40:18 PM »
I have tried another service but I've now sent something like five or six sets of fuel injectors to Mr. Injector and am very pleased with his service.  $16/fuel injector plus $5 for shipping with a quick (usually one day) turnaround via USPS Priority Mail.

Click here: Removing/Installing K75/K1002V Fuel Injectors

Earlier this year I sent him a set of fuel injectors from a K1100RS that had been sitting since the dawn of time.  They were pretty f'd up and had rust spots all over them.  When I got them back they had not only been cleaned with new O-rings and pintel caps but he'd even repainted them so they looked close to new.  I installed them in my K1 and they work great. (Johnny's ridden it and he can vouch for the fact that it's a well-running K.)

I'm currently working on getting my recently purchased 93 K1100RS running well.  When running it I noticed the the fuel rail was leaking at the top of the #3 injector - most likely from a dried out O-ring.  I decided to leave those in there for a few days and sent him the fuel injectors from Johnny's now deceased and dismantled Bug-Eyed Motobrick. (TM)

I got them back today.  They're all clean and shiny again.  Below is the "report card" that came back with them.  Thought I'd post it here if anybody's curious.  (I added the red circles.)
Once I had a Collie pup. Dug a hole and covered him up. Now I sit there by the hour. Waiting for a Collie-flower.
New to K bikes? Click here.
K Bike Maintenance & Mods: Click here.
Buy parts here.

Offline BobZ(IL)

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
Re: Getting Fuel Injectors Reconditioned
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2011, 10:08:29 PM »
Bug-Eye Motobrick deceased? I missed the wake. What happened, hit by a train?
  • Bourbonnais IL
'93 K1100LT
'78 R100S
'05 R1200GS

Offline frankenduck

• Adrninistrator
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2011, 10:17:05 PM »
Bug-Eye Motobrick deceased? I missed the wake. What happened, hit by a train?

Short version:

Earlier this year one of the drive shaft U-joints went out when we were riding in SoCal.  Then early in the summer Johnny hit a pothole or something.  Knocked the rear wheel out of true.  He tried to limp it home but the wobble fried the bearings in the final drive and it blew out it's gear oil.  He found some used replacements for the wheel and FD and got it up and running again.  Then on our Iderhoe Motobrick Mayhem ride the clutch plate 'sploded.  After that the dumbass tow truck driver didn't tie it down well enough and it fell on the right side while being towed. The bug had led a long and useful life but was wearing out.

Since Johnny had a very nice K1100RS (the "burd") in Wisconsin that he didn't get to ride much he decided to give me the bug's carcass and ride the other one west.

Once I had a Collie pup. Dug a hole and covered him up. Now I sit there by the hour. Waiting for a Collie-flower.
Buy parts here.

Offline johnny

• TrailBrakingThrottleWhacker
  • Whacking...n...Chopping Sliding...n...High Siding
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2011, 10:29:23 PM »
dont forget the deal with brickzilla... he couldnt get used to its supreme power and smooth handling so i bought it back at a profit n rode it till it wouldnt move... 3 times... he he he...

yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeehaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa...

j o
  • :johnny i parks my 96 eleven hundert rs motobrick in dodge county cheezconsin  :johnny

Offline BobZ(IL)

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2011, 12:20:10 AM »
Well the motobrick summer activity was damn near like getting hit by a train. RIP.
  • Bourbonnais IL
'93 K1100LT
'78 R100S
'05 R1200GS

Offline astroguy

• Curious
Mr. Injector
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2011, 05:11:46 PM »
Well I just used the 'Mr. Injector' cleaning system for my 1986 k75 and I highly recommend them. They were fast and inexpensive and my bike purrs now, no more popping at 3800 rpm and better 'roll on' in 5th!
http://www.mrinjector.us/
Well worth the small effort. Download the videos at the site.

Offline johnny

Re: Mr. Injector
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2011, 05:16:41 PM »
greetings astroguy...

welcome to the world famous motobrick.com...

show us your motobrick... and tell us more...

j o
  • :johnny i parks my 96 eleven hundert rs motobrick in dodge county cheezconsin  :johnny

Offline DRxBMW

• ^ SuperNatural Motobricker
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2011, 05:24:11 PM »
Well I just used the 'Mr. Injector' cleaning system for my 1986 k75 and I highly recommend them. They were fast and inexpensive and my bike purrs now, no more popping at 3800 rpm and better 'roll on' in 5th!
http://www.mrinjector.us/
Well worth the small effort. Download the videos at the site.

Is there a mileage service interval for fuel injector cleaning ?

Ha, mine have never been touched per say, other than the Chevron concentrate dose a couple times a year.

THANX ____________________.
Gary
Williamsport,Pa

1994 K 75 ABS "custom"
2005 F 650 GS

Offline johnny

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2011, 05:34:51 PM »
we put 100k of pretty hard 2 up miles on the bugeye motobrick with no injector service and those injectors sprayed like a moe...

j o

Offline frankenduck

• Adrninistrator
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2011, 05:52:46 PM »
we put 100k of pretty hard 2 up miles on the bugeye motobrick with no injector service and those injectors sprayed like a moe...

j o

Not exactly.  This is the report from when I sent them to Mr. Injector: (red circles are mine)

I'd guess 50 or 75k might be a good interval for having FIs cleaned.  (25k if you're Mystic Red.)
Buy parts here.

Offline johnny

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2011, 06:07:47 PM »
i knew #3 was strong... everytime i had to push start it i made sure its was #3 hitting 1st when i let out the clutch...

j o

Offline frankenduck

• Adrninistrator
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2011, 06:15:44 PM »
Those numbers are randomly assigned by Mr. I.  I didn't number them when I pulled them.
Buy parts here.

Offline HCorn

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2011, 09:06:33 PM »
I just got mine back today and installed.  My report looked like yours (minus one injector).  No night and day difference, but pretty good preventive maintenance for $16 apiece.  I do seem to have less popping on deceleration, however.

All that AND Jolly Ranchers - it's a WIN-WIN.
1986 K75T

Offline mystic red

• Retired Professsional Driver
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2011, 06:34:10 PM »
Yep, the Jolly Ranchers rock.

Offline HCorn

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2011, 08:28:53 PM »
There's a similar thread on the K-bikes forum, but I wanted to update this one too.  Now that I have a couple hundred miles on the re-furbed injectors, I feel like it really has improved the performance at higher RPMs.

Prior to this, it pulled better above 4-5K but nothing dramatic compared to pulling from about 3K.  Now, at about 4500+ there is a noticeable increase in power - like a graph of the power band is now a few degrees steeper.  My theory is that the roughly 10% better flow rate is actually being utilized at the RPM and higher.  It could be in my head, but I recently had my butt dyno calibrated and it says I gained roughly 5hp above 4500 rpm. 
1986 K75T

Offline Lawrence

« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2012, 10:40:17 PM »
Today I checked the TBs on my 1985 K100RS with my old CarbStix.  They were all in balance, which did not surprise me since the engine is very smooth.  However, I found what looks like a leaky injector on the #1 cylinder  :dunno2:  It's a bit hard to access because I never bothered to remove the fairing to connect up the CarbStix, but I poked a long screwdriver blade down to the base of the injector were it was wet, then smelled the tip: gasoline. 
I believe the bike has low miles.  I bought it used so I can't be certain but the splines sure look new.  For that reason, I was surprised that it apparently has an injector leaking.  Just replace the o-ring?  At less than 25Kmiles, I suppose it's best to pull all of them and send them to Dr. Injector (or whatever that biz name is that the list likes so much). 
I'm hoping that I can remove/replace them without screwing around with the throttle bodies and the air ducts, as just removing the air filter still confounds me  :dunno
1985 K100RS

1982 Laverda Mirage 1200TS
1983 BMW R100RS

Offline mystic red

• Retired Professsional Driver
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2012, 01:16:03 PM »
You don't have to mess around with with the throttle bodies if you don't want to but why not replace all the rubber bits while you're in there? It may have low miles but rubber doesn't care, it's age as your o-ring is telling you. Check out this thread. It's not tough to do once the fairing is off.
Where in Iderhoe are you?

Offline Lawrence

« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2012, 07:12:32 PM »
I was lying in bed last night thinking about this and concluded exactly what you suggest, Mystic.  A bike that old, no matter how sweet it runs at the moment, can't be far away from needing the rubber bits renewed.  I'll begin looking around for the things I need to order and do the job properly.  I'm in southern Idaho, so I often ride through some really empty territory.  I can't afford any breakdowns out there half- way to Winnemucca!
And thanks for the links to the relevant info.  Mr. Duck and others provide such a rich technology library here I sometime get lost navigating it.  :2thumbup:
1985 K100RS

1983 BMW R100RS

Offline Lawrence

« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2012, 04:38:11 PM »
I expect my injectors to be returned early next week, so I have begun to strip the K100RS to replace the rubber boots, fuel hoses and o-rings ( stuff that is now 28 years old as far as I know).  I've run into what looks like a brick wall.  Can anyone enlighten me as to the method for removing the plastic cover that sits over the air filter?  After much twisting, pulling and cursing I was able to get the filter out, but I can't figure out how to remove the airbox cover.  The large plastic duct that exits the front of the cover will not move.  I thought that once the hose clamp was removed, it would be a simple matter to separate the hose from the plastic top over the filter.  No way is it budging!  I think it connects to the air flow sensor in the plastic cover, but how??? It looks virtually impossible to access the other end (plentum?) of the air duct to remove that hose clamp.  At least with my large hands that is a non-starter.  Where do I go from here?  I certainly don't want to destroy any expensive bits while I "improve" my brick.   :dunno
1985 K100RS

1983 BMW R100RS

Offline frankenduck

• Adrninistrator
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2012, 05:13:58 PM »
If you can't get to the screw for the plenum hose clamp then undo the two bolts in the top that hold the mass airflow sensor in and pull it back inside the top half of the air box.  That should allow you to get the big rubber hose to the plenum out of the front of the air box.
Buy parts here.

Offline Inge K.

« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2012, 05:33:25 PM »
Sorry to tell you, but you first have to loosen the clamp at the plenum chamber.
But still you can`t remove the upper half of the housing, as there`s no connectors
to the AFM on the outside of the housing.
You then have to remove the mounting screws for the AFM at the top of the housing.
then you can loosen the last clamp and withdraw the AFM and disconnect it.
Why do you want to remove the upper half of the airflter housing?

The bottom half is mounted with two screws, with that out of the way you have acces
to the FPR, if you`re is to change the fuel hoses.

Inge K.

EDIT: Duck did post before me, and that solution should also work.....but those screws on
the top isn`t exactly easy accessible either, with plenum hose still connected.
  • Norway

Offline wmax351

« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2012, 06:17:40 PM »
You should be able to get some slack on the AFM wire. Then pull it out and put it on the top of the bike.

You can also pull the hose from the plenum, rather than the airbox side.

A long, thin screwdriver is very helpful. I have a foot and a half flathead craftsman I use for stuff like this.

• Albuquerque, NM
  • 91 BMW K75 Standard, 98 Moto Guzzi California EV
Bikes:
Current:1991 BMW K75 Standard, 1998 Moto Guzzi California EV11
Past: '83 BMW R65LS, '75 Honda CB550F, '69 Honda CB175, 1999 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, 1973 Triumph Tiger TR7V, 1971 BMW R75/5 in Toaster outfit, 1979 Harley Davidson XLS-1000 Sportster Roadster

Offline frankenduck

• Adrninistrator
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2012, 06:22:33 PM »
When you put things back together you'll want to reposition the plenum side hose clamp so that you can access it's screw from the top through the frame with a long screwdriver.  That'll make it easier the next time somebody has to go in there.
Buy parts here.

Offline Lawrence

« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2012, 09:06:04 PM »
Thank you for the prompt relies.  Sorry to be so dense, but I still can't work out how to finish this job.  I think some of the info offered must apply to later bikes.  I am working on a 1985 K100RS.  My goal is to remove the throttle bodies and replace their o-rings, the boots and fuel hoses.  I have removed one hose clamp at the front of the air filter cover.  The hose is oval at the point of exit.  I take it to be the duct to the plenum.  The hose will not separate from the cover of the air filter.  I want to remove this cover to gain access to the screws that fix the bottom of the airbox to the engine. there isn't room to reach the screws on the bottom with the cover in place.  I assume this is the only way to remove the throttle bodies.  True?  The right rear corner of the air filter cover has two hex head screws which I removed.  That did nothing to help me remove the air filter cover.  Are those the screws that are attached to the air flow meter (AFM)?  I can't find any others on the cover.  I can't see how I can pull the AFM back if I can't get my hand under the air filter cover.  What am I missing?
I sprayed the edge of the airbox-plenum duct with a lube and gave up for today.  Perhaps that overnight soak will allow the oval end of the duct to be withdrawn tomorrow. If it doesn't loosen, I'll start thinking of ways to remove the hose clamp on the other end of the duct. 
I've always considered wrenching on my old airheads to be quality garage time. Actually, it's a therapy of sorts.   This K-bike is not fun to work on at all.  I like riding it; it handles well, has good smooth power, but I'm not enjoying working on it in the least.  I hope that, once sorted out, I don't have to turn a wrench on it again for a long, long time. If that doesn't prove to be the case, it's not going to be in my garage very long.  :dunno2:
1985 K100RS

1983 BMW R100RS

Offline frankenduck

• Adrninistrator
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2012, 09:25:35 PM »
If you pull the snorkel off then you can get the bottom screws in the bottom half of the air box out.
Buy parts here.

Tags: