Author Topic: WTB 4Valve K100RS Footpeg Plate  (Read 3073 times)

Offline The Mighty Gryphon

• Administrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
WTB 4Valve K100RS Footpeg Plate
« on: November 22, 2017, 10:03:05 PM »
I need a right side Footpeg Plate for a 4 valve K100RS(1990-1992).   I don't need the master cylinder or brake pedal, but the passenger footpeg would be nice.  Condition is unimportant as long as it is all there. 
  • In my garage in Marilla, NY
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:
'91 K100RS16V "Moby Brick Too"

Past:
'94 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
'92 K100RS16V "Moby Brick" (RIP, deceased in a vehicular assault)
'94 K75S Special Edition Dakar Yellow "Cheetos"
'89 K100RS Special Edition "Special Ed"

Offline whosyurdaddy

• ^ Motobrick Curious
Re: WTB 4Valve K100RS Footpeg Plate
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2017, 06:43:04 PM »
  i think I have one , I'll check tomorrow
  • Central Indiana
  • 1991 K100RS SOLD

Offline Martin

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2017, 10:35:55 PM »
Gryph I don't know whether you have access to a casting plant. Ours is located in a local Pioneer Village I am going back to ours on Tuesday. I am sure there must be something similar in your area. It is run by enthusiasts and I could get them to have a look at my Bricks foot plate. It might  be possible for them to use it as a pattern to cast new ones from it. I know there would have to be a bit of finishing to do on a sand cast version, I am also not sure of the strength of their casting but I will ask. This might be a possible solution to the diminishing supply of RH foot plates.
Regards Martin
  • North Lakes Queensland Australia
  • 1992 K75s Hybrid, Lefaux, Vespa V twin.

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2017, 10:20:42 AM »
Martin, I may have found one.  I would be wary of sand cast aluminum made with a part as the pattern.  Shrinkage would result in an undersize part.

I am hoping to raise Moby Brick from the figurative "ashes".  Right now I have to contend with a whack rear loop which needs straightening.  I have set a budget of $1500 to restore it, and so far, between my spares pile and some unbelievably lucky finds on the internet, it looks like I will be able stay under.  Once I am feeling a little less sore I may be starting a thread to document the resurrection, although I am terrible at stopping to take photos.
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:

Past:

Offline Martin

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2017, 04:05:57 PM »
Gryph hope it goes well with the restoration. Didn't know about shrinkage but when I thought about it, it is logical. I am hoping to photograph the process on Tuesday.
Regards Martin.
  • North Lakes Queensland Australia
  • 1992 K75s Hybrid, Lefaux, Vespa V twin.

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2017, 10:19:09 PM »
Martin, The shrinkage is significant enough that patternmakers use "shrink rules" when making the wood patterns for poured castings.  Die casting cools the metal in the part under pressure so some of the shrinkage can be controlled and parts can be molded with fairly tight tolerances.  With poured castings, all the critical dimensions are controlled by post casting machine operations.

Nearly every aluminum part on the bike is die cast.  This allows most of the parts to go from the casting machine to assembly with little or no intermediate operations other than removal of excess flash from the places where the two mold halves come together.   Parts like the block and the cylinder head which require tighter tolerances than obtainable with die casting have a lot of machine work done to them, so they are more efficiently manufactured by casting in a foundry.   
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:

Past:

Tags: