Author Topic: K100RS parked for four months outside in all weathers  (Read 194496 times)

Offline The Mighty Gryphon

• Administrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
Re: K100RS parked for four months outside in all weathers
« Reply #625 on: October 15, 2017, 09:01:26 PM »
The smell of burning ear hair made me think someone was talking about me, and sure enough here you are discussing Ilsa'a fuel cooler.   Regarding performance, I will say that it has noticeably reduced tank temperature, especially so in hot weather, as witnessed in the motodebauchery of 2016 in the desert southwest in temperatures running as high as 115 in the shade(when shade could be found).

I put it in the return line for a couple of reasons: 

First, I wanted to cool the fuel just prior to it going back into the tank because  most of the heat is picked up in the rail, fuel pressure regulator, and the return line.  I wanted to cool the fuel before it got between my legs, not after it had cooked them.

Second, being down stream of the fuel pressure regulator, the pressure in the return line is only high enough to flow back into the tank.  In the supply to the rail the pressure is 35 psi.  I go by the philosophy that it's best to minimize the amount of plumbing that is under pressure.

I used an extruded, fairly heavy wall aluminum unit for two reasons:

First, it would be able to handle any high pressure it might be exposed to, and second, since it was hanging out in the air in front of the engine, I wanted it to be stoneproof. 

The unit I selected had an internal capacity of about 1 liter which gave the fuel a residence time in the cooler of over 1 minute.  I figure that the longer it is being cooled, the cooler it will be when it gets back to the tank.  Especially important because the shape was not optimum for air flow over it.

My installation works great on the K75 without belly pan, but may not fit a bike with a belly pan, or a K100 because I have put mine in the space freed up by the loss of one cylinder in the K75.

I like film camera's installation, but being hard against the front of the engine may actually cause the fuel to be heated rather than cooled.  It may be desirable to modify the grille work in front of it to allow it to be a little further forward of the engine.  Also, it might be good to have a heat shield behind the cooler to shield it from engine heat.  A simple sheet of thin aluminum should be adequate.  Better yet would be to install the cooler in front of the grille in the open air and let the grille afford some heat shielding.
  • In my garage in Marilla, NY
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:
'91 K100RS16V "Moby Brick Too"

Past:
'94 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
'92 K100RS16V "Moby Brick" (RIP, deceased in a vehicular assault)
'94 K75S Special Edition Dakar Yellow "Cheetos"
'89 K100RS Special Edition "Special Ed"

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
« Reply #626 on: October 15, 2017, 09:16:35 PM »
The smell of burning ear hair . . .
No ride today we are getting over 4" plus in the next 24 hours. I envy the fortitude that enables you to bear through your Vermontian winters,
I thought somebody was trying to dispose of oil containers in a burn barrel. The wind is coming from the west tonight.  :dunno I'm glad it was just you, Gryph.

I just returned from a night ride along both sides of the river—70ºF, wind blowing at 35 knots filling the air with swirling leaves. The last weekend tourists headed home. Perfect! When I covered the bike, rain was falling fast. Tomorrow the high will be 45ºF.
 :giggles 
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles
I wept because I had no radials until I met a man who had no splines.
https://tinyurl.com/RillRider

Offline The Mighty Gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #627 on: October 15, 2017, 09:23:24 PM »
The last weekend tourists headed home. Perfect! When I covered the bike, rain was falling fast. Tomorrow the high will be 45ºF.
 :giggles

The kind of weather I like to tour in.  Light traffic and off season rates at the no tell motel. 
  • In my garage in Marilla, NY
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:
'91 K100RS16V "Moby Brick Too"

Past:
'94 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
'92 K100RS16V "Moby Brick" (RIP, deceased in a vehicular assault)
'94 K75S Special Edition Dakar Yellow "Cheetos"
'89 K100RS Special Edition "Special Ed"

Tags: