Author Topic: First Time BMW buyer looking at 1988 K75S need advice  (Read 4033 times)

Offline Deg10715

• Curious
First Time BMW buyer looking at 1988 K75S need advice
« on: October 15, 2017, 05:55:53 AM »
Dear All,

I learned on Japanese, and have only ridden Japanese. However, Im in LA a lot and wanted to have a bike there and found this besutifully done 1988 K75S with 40K miles on it. Seller has put some time into this one and has pics of the splines when he took them apart to check.

But Im having a tough time figuring out what something like this should be worth on the market. Would love some feedback since I dont know the BMW market in California and I live mostly in Berlin where theyre hardly a standout here.
  • Los Angeles
  • Honda CBF600N

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
Re: First Time BMW buyer looking at 1988 K75S need advice
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2017, 06:20:21 AM »
Custom bikes are works of personal expression and sometimes speculative ventures for exploitation of fad, too. A bike like the one you're contemplating defies assessment. Its parts might be worth several hundred dollars in the market, but that would be like determining the worth of a painting by the cost of its paint.

The market in LA is style-conscious. That bike ticks the style box. The seat even looks like it might be comfortable. A review of past eBay and Craigslist postings might give an idea. Just go ahead, buy it and enjoy it. What have you got to lose?

A Dolce & Gabbana dotted bow tie is $225, so this could well exceed that in practical value, comparatively. :giggles
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline Laitch

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2017, 06:58:06 AM »
I finally recalled where I had seen that bike before now. It was part of this memorable thread.   :hehehe
http://www.motobrick.com/index.php/topic,9966.msg84816.html#msg84816

It has a great pedigree! 
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline Deg10715

• Curious
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2017, 07:26:17 AM »
Holy Batman! Now Im conflicted. I just wanted some expert advice on whether the 1998’s had problems I needed to be aware of. The gentleman who built the bike looked like he really took care of it but I know nothing about the Bricks and was trying to grt guidance on price etc as it was a lot more than I was planning on soending on a second bike in a city I dont live in anymore.

• Los Angeles
  • Honda CBF600N

Offline Laitch

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2017, 07:48:51 AM »
I just wanted some expert advice on whether the 1998’s had problems I needed to be aware of.
I thought you wanted advice on price.

The 1988 models had no more problems than other K-bikes of that period. Neglected bikes usually have problems unless they are cleaned and inspected thoroughly, and their fuel lines replaced. What is unknown here is whether the extensive modification of this bike has created electronic problems. Sometimes that happens.
You can always ask the seller.  :yes

You haven't had experience with K-bikes. Go to the Repair Guidance section's Master List. In there are useful articles serving as introductions to the bike.

If the bike is priced at more than you want to spend, don't buy it. LA has a large selection of bikes—K-bikes included—if being trendy isn't a requirement.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline The Mighty Gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2017, 09:13:40 AM »
To quote Sinner73 in the thread Laitch linked.  "Bikes done and sold already ! 😜 Imagine the surprise when I tell the customer that "the mighty gryphon " says it's going to scrap in 200 miles !! He's going to be so upset. Guess he should of just went and got a Ducati scrambler off the show room floor so he could look like every other hipster ! 😜"

I find it a bit curious that the builder gloats about selling the bike in June, and here it is four months later and it's up for sale again.  Wonder if it has 200 miles on it yet. 

• In my garage in Marilla, NY
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:
'91 K100RS16V "Moby Brick Too"

Past:
'94 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
'92 K100RS16V "Moby Brick" (RIP, deceased in a vehicular assault)
'94 K75S Special Edition Dakar Yellow "Cheetos"
'89 K100RS Special Edition "Special Ed"

Tags: