Author Topic: New BMW K100 Owner and Motobrick.com member. Need help  (Read 3268 times)

Offline Bbauman1

• Curious
New BMW K100 Owner and Motobrick.com member. Need help
« on: October 11, 2017, 10:35:15 PM »
Hi I am new to this forum, after purchasing my first BMW k bike. I bought a project that seems to be having fuel issues. I'm not really sure what my next step is at this point so I figured I'd see if anybody has had similar issues. When I bought the bike, it would idle fine, but it would stall when I would give it a little gas. The previous owner had replaced the fuel pump and said he cleaned the injectors. I just replaced the fuel filter, air filter, spark plugs, checked the valve clearance, and cleaned out the gas tank(there was a lot of gunk in there). I went to start it but unfortunately it did not improve. Actually, for some reason it didn't want to idle at all now and would just run for a few seconds and stall. I really appreciate any help as this is becoming frustrating. Thank you!
  • Ohio
  • 1988 BMW K100RT

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
Re: New BMW K100 Owner and Motobrick.com member. Need help
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2017, 04:26:47 AM »
I bought a project that seems to be having fuel issues.
Welcome!

It wouldn't be much of a project if it didn't have issues ; :yes   however, yours isn't necessarily a fuel issue or even only a fuel issue, if that's any comfort. I'll start you off by recommending the troubleshooting guide.
http://hrsbstaff.ednet.ns.ca/bvogel/K100/download/bike-wont-start1.htm

What's the output voltage of the battery at rest? Are the spark plugs wet or dry after you've tried starting the engine? Avoid cranking the engine for more than five seconds at a time or when it starts to turn over slowly, because you can cause the starter relay contacts to fuse. That's not the end of the world but it increases frustration and can increase the cost of the project.

How about posting a few pictures of this bike?  How many miles are on the odometer?
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline Bbauman1

• Curious
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2017, 06:50:28 AM »

The bike's mileage is not known because the odometer is stuck at 38,000 miles. I am not sure what the output voltage was when I was attempting to start yesterday, I did have it on the charger all day before attempting to start it. The spark plugs are dry after the attempts. From the troubleshooting guide, how do I know if I am getting the enough fuel pressure? It seems like a fuel problem, but it could be more comforting if it isn't because I'm not sure why it wouldn't be getting enough fuel. I am not very familiar with these bikes.
  • Ohio
  • 1988 BMW K100RT

Offline Scott_

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2017, 07:31:18 AM »
I'd check all of your vacuum hoses for cracks and leaks. Especially the one for the Fuel pressure regulator.
  • My Garage
1995 K1100LT 0302044
1997 R1100RT ZC62149
2017 FLHTK Ultra Limited
1997 K1100LT 0302488 (R.I.P.)
"One who does not ask questions is ashamed to learn" Danish proverb

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2017, 07:45:02 AM »
I am not sure what the output voltage was when I was attempting to start yesterday, I did have it on the charger all day before attempting to start it. I am not very familiar with these bikes.
You could have your battery on the charger all month but if it's failing it won't hold a charge.

These bikes are like other bikes; they need fuel to run. Why yours isn't getting fuel could be a problem with clogged fuel lines needing replacement, or by "cleaned" injectors clogged by the gunk that you found in the tank, or both. Fuel lines should be replaced as a matter of course when dealing with a neglected bike. The fuel pressure regulator diaphragm could be leaking then dropping fuel pressure. You'd find fuel in the regulator's vacuum line if that were the case. As Scott_ has indicated, check it. The line should be replaced anyway. The regulator's function is checked using a pressure gauge that has a suitable scale.

Lack of fuel could also be cause by electronic failure. Diagnosis technique is found in the troubleshooting guide. You'll need a multimeter to do some of that.

A couple of members are posting with starting problems currently and dozens—maybe hundreds—have posted with such problems in the past. The outcome is usually successful. Patience works better than frustration. Good luck works best of all. :giggles
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline Bbauman1

• Curious
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2017, 09:41:27 AM »
Alright thank you guys for your help! I will try all that. I really appreciate it
  • Ohio
  • 1988 BMW K100RT

Tags: