Author Topic: Not a cafe racer project K100  (Read 60560 times)

Offline Vespa no more

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
Re: Not a cafe racer project K100
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2017, 06:10:42 AM »
No...

posting a clip of the Swingle Singers is a crime, or that Scot who won Slough's Got Talents,

Mine you, Kenny Everett throwing the bucket of water on Hot Gossip might pass muster.

Enough. Thought this was about K bikes
  • Wollongong NSW AUSTRALIA
  • K100RT 1984, K1100RT 1993, Vespa VNB125 1963 :)

Offline Skunky

• ^ SuperNatural Motobricker
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2017, 05:50:07 AM »
No...

posting a clip of the Swingle Singers is a crime, or that Scot who won Slough's Got Talents,

Mine you, Kenny Everett throwing the bucket of water on Hot Gossip might pass muster.

Enough. Thought this was about K bikes

Cleaned, polished, painted ✔️

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Derby GB
  • BMW K100lt
Rebuild it and they will come..
90 K100lt
Triumph Thruxton 900
Honda CB400F

Offline DJEwen

« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2018, 12:42:28 PM »

Cleaned, polished, painted ✔️

Skunky, they look excellent. What paint did you use on the covers, did you bother to bake them?
  • Scotland
  • 1985 K100 'Revive', 1987 K100 LT

Offline Skunky

« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2018, 01:53:56 PM »
No baking just engine paint. And polishing. I was happy with the results.
  • Derby GB
  • BMW K100lt
90 K100lt
Triumph Thruxton 900
Honda CB400F

Offline Skunky

« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2018, 08:38:14 PM »
Good Evening readers.

Due to health problems at home (not me) I have been unable to carry out any work since December. But I'm back on it in between carer duties so hopefully will make some progress. I may Put her back together and carry out further works as I go. Anyway Today I finished the re-wiring of the speedo to the BEP 3. Indicators, Lights , Speed, Warning panel all working OK except for a low fuel light which is ok as I have a fuel gauge on the speedo which is working off the fuel float. I will have to wait to check the RPM until the Engine is back together. Very pleased with the finish  :clap:.

* speedo3.jpg (32.97 kB . 432x576 - viewed 905 times)
  • Derby GB
  • BMW K100lt
90 K100lt
Triumph Thruxton 900
Honda CB400F

Offline DJEwen

« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2018, 04:05:11 AM »
Sorry to hear about your problems at home, Skunky.

Gauge and idiot lights are looking fantastic. Did you have any issues during wiring or can you share any lessons learned/tricks?
  • Scotland

Offline rbm

• ^ Quintessential Motobricker
« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2018, 06:42:51 AM »
Hi Skunky,  check out http://www.motobrick.com/index.php/topic,10224.0.html for the fix to getting the tach working with that gauge and the BEP.
  • Regards, Robert
Toronto, Ontario

1987 K75 - Build Blog @http://k75retro.blogspot.ca/

Offline Skunky

« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2018, 09:55:04 PM »
Sorry to hear about your problems at home, Skunky.

Gauge and idiot lights are looking fantastic. Did you have any issues during wiring or can you share any lessons learned/tricks?

Thanks DJ.

No issues at all really just as long as you know what you require. The only thing I can't use is the low fuel light. There is a circuit within the lunchbox which operates the low fuel lights using a transistor so there's not an output for it on the BEP. I tried to make use of the fuel sender to do the job but to no avail. However when the fuel sender gets low the fuel display starts to flash so you know its desperate.

Anyway spent a couple of hours polishing the tank paintwork. Still not satisfied .

Hi Skunky,  check out http://www.motobrick.com/index.php/topic,10224.0.html for the fix to getting the tach working with that gauge and the BEP.

Rbm - I had already read your topic on the tacho smoothing and have studied the circuit. Marulabs claim that the BEP 3.0 unit has solved the Tacho issue from the earlier models and the 3.0 has a suppressed RPM circuit between 0 - 9V

A quote from their installation manual states -

" - RPM and SPD is output as a square wave signal, which means that the rotary pulses from the crankshaft or the rear wheel respectively, are changed in a changing frequency of low and high pulses."

I'm hoping that they are right but if not you'll be hearing from me  :yes

• Derby GB
  • BMW K100lt
90 K100lt
Triumph Thruxton 900
Honda CB400F

Offline rbm

« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2018, 07:32:59 AM »
Rbm - I had already read your topic on the tacho smoothing and have studied the circuit. Marulabs claim that the BEP 3.0 unit has solved the Tacho issue from the earlier models and the 3.0 has a suppressed RPM circuit between 0 - 9V
You're right, but the problem is not with the BEP, it's with the gauge.  Read this thread to understand the fix I am suggesting:

http://www.motobrick.com/index.php/topic,11148.msg96987.html#msg96987
  • Regards, Robert
Toronto, Ontario

1987 K75 - Build Blog @http://k75retro.blogspot.ca/

Offline Skunky

« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2018, 02:24:07 AM »
You're right, but the problem is not with the BEP, it's with the gauge.  Read this thread to understand the fix I am suggesting:

http://www.motobrick.com/index.php/topic,11148.msg96987.html#msg96987

Thanks Robert. Very easy and very useful.  :clap:
  • Derby GB
  • BMW K100lt
90 K100lt
Triumph Thruxton 900
Honda CB400F

Offline Skunky

« Reply #35 on: May 16, 2018, 03:40:32 PM »
Hi Beemerphiles, I managed to get some time on my project last weekend.

Saturday I spent time trying to get a shine on the petrol Tank and fitted the petrol cap which I have stripped and polished the aluminium.

• Derby GB
  • BMW K100lt
90 K100lt
Triumph Thruxton 900
Honda CB400F

Offline Skunky

« Reply #36 on: May 16, 2018, 03:51:55 PM »
Sunday

It was gearbox out day.

Checked Splines, not too bad.

Freed up and greased clutch arm

Checked clutch condition. Also not too bad, looks dry no sign of oil or grease and plenty of ware left.

• Derby GB
  • BMW K100lt
90 K100lt
Triumph Thruxton 900
Honda CB400F

Offline DJEwen

« Reply #37 on: May 16, 2018, 04:18:52 PM »
Nice work, Skunky! Digging the polishing. Are those the black emblems? They look cool!
  • Scotland

Offline Martin

« Reply #38 on: May 16, 2018, 04:20:26 PM »
While you are there you need to fit a grease nipple to the arm. An occasional squirt will push out all the crap and make life easier for the cable and your arm'
Regards Martin.

* Clutch grease nipple 2.jpg (38.33 kB . 768x576 - viewed 1030 times)
  • North Lakes Queensland Australia
  • 1992 K75s Hybrid, Lefaux, Vespa V twin.

Offline Skunky

« Reply #39 on: May 17, 2018, 07:58:11 PM »
Evening campers

A little more progress today. Engine side casings and hoses back on. Swingman and drive back together and lived. Getting very close to a restart. Need to put in oil and rbm's Chinese speedo mod tomorrow.

• Derby GB
  • BMW K100lt
90 K100lt
Triumph Thruxton 900
Honda CB400F

Offline Skunky

« Reply #40 on: May 22, 2018, 05:42:44 PM »
Morning brickers

Wheel and brake disc’s are being transformed

• Derby GB
  • BMW K100lt
90 K100lt
Triumph Thruxton 900
Honda CB400F

Offline Martin

« Reply #41 on: May 22, 2018, 06:44:08 PM »
There's a cheat for masking wheels. Deflate the tyre and push in playing cards around the rim, fanning them out as you move around the rim. Mask up the remainder and paint,
Regards Martin.
  • North Lakes Queensland Australia
  • 1992 K75s Hybrid, Lefaux, Vespa V twin.

Offline Skunky

« Reply #42 on: May 23, 2018, 04:38:00 PM »
There's a cheat for masking wheels. Deflate the tyre and push in playing cards around the rim, fanning them out as you move around the rim. Mask up the remainder and paint,
Regards Martin.

Thanks Martin, I actually used a similar method. I used small overlapping strips of masking tape tucked under the rim like cards and then taped newspaper to the first layer.
  • Derby GB
  • BMW K100lt
90 K100lt
Triumph Thruxton 900
Honda CB400F

Offline DJEwen

« Reply #43 on: May 23, 2018, 05:15:49 PM »
Cracking work, Skunky!
  • Scotland

Offline Skunky

« Reply #44 on: May 25, 2018, 06:38:34 AM »
EXHAUSTION!!

On my very first post I wrote....

So started the strip down.......

I'm not one for giving a bike names but I have given this one many B######d F#####r piece of S##t and even the C word And at times all of them..

It would seem that although the Police mechanics maintain their fleet they do not use torque wrenches or anti seize. Bsds

The Exhaust had three stripped and crossed studs and no gaskets meaning it was corroded into place. One of the sockets snapped at the back and two studs had to be drilled out and re threaded but all done now

What I never added was that one of the headers (number 2) was stuck in the engine block and during removal came of off the pipe, with the help of a little corrosion and the brutal efforts of an overzealous amateur mechanic. Anyway because I wanted to use the original round exhaust and the header pipes would not come out of the silencer I decided to try a high temperature chemical weld called JB weld High Heat and was able to carry out a repair losing about 14" off the pipe length.
I then shortened the silencer and painted the header pipes etc etc.

It seemed like a good idea at the time, until the refit anyway. Could I get the BSTRD to fit?  No!. I found that I had an alignment problem and no amount of prising heating of pipes etc could shift them. In the end I decided to get the heavy rubber hammer into use with the intention of knocking the F**K out of it until the header came free of the back box. Still wouldn't shift, but after an hour of ugly brute force and a vocabulary that made Goodfella's look like a kids movie, I noticed that I had managed to shift the offending header forward enough to force a fit.  :clap:

However, JB high heat weld is Tough as duck and has been smashed survived heat from a blowtorch and did not crack or break. Pretty impressive. We will see how it deals with Britains pot hole infested roads. Photo's to follow.

• Derby GB
  • BMW K100lt
90 K100lt
Triumph Thruxton 900
Honda CB400F

Offline Skunky

« Reply #45 on: May 27, 2018, 08:24:34 AM »
What I never added was that one of the headers (number 2) was stuck in the engine block and during removal came of off the pipe, with the help of a little corrosion and the brutal efforts of an overzealous amateur mechanic. Anyway because I wanted to use the original round exhaust and the header pipes would not come out of the silencer I decided to try a high temperature chemical weld called JB weld High Heat and was able to carry out a repair losing about 14" off the pipe length.
I then shortened the silencer and painted the header pipes etc etc.

It seemed like a good idea at the time, until the refit anyway. Could I get the BSTRD to fit?  No!. I found that I had an alignment problem and no amount of prising heating of pipes etc could shift them. In the end I decided to get the heavy rubber hammer into use with the intention of knocking the F**K out of it until the header came free of the back box. Still wouldn't shift, but after an hour of ugly brute force and a vocabulary that made Goodfella's look like a kids movie, I noticed that I had managed to shift the offending header forward enough to force a fit.  :clap:

However, JB high heat weld is Tough as duck and has been smashed survived heat from a blowtorch and did not crack or break. Pretty impressive. We will see how it deals with Britains pot hole infested roads. Photo's to follow.
  • Derby GB
  • BMW K100lt
90 K100lt
Triumph Thruxton 900
Honda CB400F

Offline DJEwen

« Reply #46 on: May 30, 2018, 04:06:07 PM »
a vocabulary that made Goodfella's look like a kids movie

:hehehe

Great effort! Keep at it, Skunky!
  • Scotland

Offline Skunky

« Reply #47 on: May 30, 2018, 07:11:59 PM »
:hehehe

Great effort! Keep at it, Skunky!

Can't find the f'in exhaust bracket. Note to self. Try to work tidier.  :dunno2:

Anyway much like you. I put new oil, water, gearbox and final drive oil. Connected the speedo sensor ans span the wheel. And 8 mph on the speedo. Also wired in Rbms easy conditioning circuit before reporting the fuel tank. Might be ready for its first Start tomorrow. If I can just find where I put that petrol can.. :hehehe
  • Derby GB
  • BMW K100lt
90 K100lt
Triumph Thruxton 900
Honda CB400F

Offline DJEwen

« Reply #48 on: May 31, 2018, 06:48:23 AM »
In for first start video  :popcorm
  • Scotland

Offline Skunky

« Reply #49 on: May 31, 2018, 04:59:08 PM »
In for first start video  :popcorm
Don't hold your breath. Turns over OK. But would not start  :falldown:

So I need to go through everything and find out why. Checked the plugs and I'm getting a spark. seems to be a little fuel on the plugs but nor sure if there is enough or not. It could also be that there is not a full charge on the battery, I understand that they can be a little temperamental. So Overnight charge and give it another try in the morning. Failing that I will leave it until Wednesday and look at the fuelling.
  • Derby GB
  • BMW K100lt
90 K100lt
Triumph Thruxton 900
Honda CB400F

Tags: 4 pin connector