Author Topic: Group riding.  (Read 7052 times)

Offline k11pfc

• ^ Motobrick Curious
  • From Portsmouth UK and Riding a 1994 K1100rs
Group riding.
« on: September 13, 2011, 04:07:48 PM »
Just been on my first group ride for over 20 years, now I remember why I gave them up, never been so bored on a bike in my life. I ride mainly alone or with a mate who rides at a similar pace to me. All this standing around in cliquey groups is not my scene. many seem to like it though, each to their own.
Play up Pompey

Offline frankenduck

• Adrninistrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
Re: Group riding.
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2011, 04:13:35 PM »
I hate people who ride motorcycles too. ;D
Once I had a Collie pup. Dug a hole and covered him up. Now I sit there by the hour. Waiting for a Collie-flower.
New to K bikes? Click here.
K Bike Maintenance & Mods: Click here.
Buy parts here.

Rick G

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2011, 07:19:32 PM »
Know what you mean.  So fustrating when your wanting to get going and one of the goons hasn't even ordered because he /she was standing around talking crap and then filled the bike then a p**s and so on.  Not my scene any more and never really was.

Offline frankenduck

• Adrninistrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2011, 07:37:33 PM »
You guys think YOU have it bad.  I had to spend a whole week riding with Johnny in July.  Burger this, burger that.....
Once I had a Collie pup. Dug a hole and covered him up. Now I sit there by the hour. Waiting for a Collie-flower.
New to K bikes? Click here.
K Bike Maintenance & Mods: Click here.
Buy parts here.

Offline WayneDW

• ^ SuperNatural Motobricker
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2011, 09:07:51 PM »
I ride often with a group, also with just one other guy, also by myself.   I enjoy all three. 

As mentioned, there are frustrations when riding with a group.  Sometimes it's hard to keep up, more often it seems you are waiting for someone to catch up, or wondering why the heck they are doing that!  Every stop takes at least 45 minutes.  Want to get up early in the morning and get going?  Forget about it!

But, even with the drawbacks, I look forward to every group ride with these guys simple because they have become such good friends.  It has become like a family of brothers.  I even keep a blog about our group if you'd like to see what I'm talking about:
www.fossilapostles.com
  • Minneapolis, MN, USA
  • 1992 K75RT

Rick G

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2011, 10:36:15 PM »
I will say that the guys I ride with in a group are good people and great to be with but the ones that get me are the ones who just dont get the concept of organization like going for a pee after putting in the order etc.
I think that random choas is far too orderly for them.
Then after the stop they want to ride at 20kph over the limit to make up time and risk a $500 violation and then bitterly complain about it for the next month.

Offline DRxBMW

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2011, 12:06:20 AM »
Just been on my first group ride for over 20 years, now I remember why I gave them up, never been so bored on a bike in my life. I ride mainly alone or with a mate who rides at a similar pace to me. All this standing around in cliquey groups is not my scene. many seem to like it though, each to their own.

I HATE large groups only because of the domino effect. Charity ride, moisture laden covered bridge, one Goldwing, two Goldwing, three Goldwing and so on. I almost most got caught up to the the tune of one K 75 in the friggin deal,scary shit.

Next year the organizers AVOIDED those brides all together, decided they were too tricky for inexperienced riders.  

Side by side riding is another NO NO. Granted there may be some police style formation skill involved with S by S but at a price if you have to deviate lane position. S by S in city traffic sometimes is OK but ONLY if I know the other riders skill set. Staggering is a much better method.  

Gary
Williamsport,Pa

1994 K 75 ABS "custom"
2005 F 650 GS

Offline Ocelot

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
  • Ocelot: small, agile, powerful, stealthy.
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2011, 07:28:44 AM »
Here's the best answer to a group ride: "You guys go ahead; I'll meet you there." Visit with them at the table. Then, "I gotta thing, gotta go, nice seein ya"
1990 K75C Ocelot
2003 R1200CLC Annie
2007 KLR650 Biffy Bullfrog

Offline orforester

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2011, 10:10:46 AM »
A week with Johnny sounds like at least ten pounds
Bob
1989 K 100 RS se (SOLD)
1985 K 100 RS, now RT
1979 XS 650 Yamaha Street Tracker
2008 R 1200RT

Offline motodude

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2011, 11:25:20 AM »
Ya, you guys to ahead...  I love playing, "catch-up" :-)

Here's the best answer to a group ride: "You guys go ahead; I'll meet you there." Visit with them at the table. Then, "I gotta thing, gotta go, nice seein ya"
'95 K75RT
'90 K75RT
'87 K100RS Motorsport
No, I am not cool.  Yes, it really is the journey.

Tags: