Author Topic: 1987 K75S accident restoration project  (Read 29382 times)

Offline Rcgreaves

• ^ SuperNatural Motobricker
  • "I'd rather be flying, but this will do nicely"
1987 K75S accident restoration project
« on: August 10, 2017, 08:27:11 AM »
See5/21 article added

5/2020- I captured the crash discussed below on my chin mounted GoPro- took me nearly 4 years to face it/post it-  If you have yet to learn about high speed wobble and weave or Tank Slappers, take a look at this thread.  The Dunlop vid is VERY good Motobricker info: 

8/8/2017  I was very very lucky- pause and read the speedo 78mph!!! Here ya go: 

So I was reckless yesterday and dumped my beloved brick Betz....My injuries are only rash but im off work so today I'll start the disassembly for restoration.  (May 2020- the 87 75S is parted out and replaced by a 94. 

Post Script:  March 2020 I acquired a much more racey Honda VFR 750F

It's funny,  I have no freaking business charging around like I was but, in truth, my work a day life is dull, my drives exhilarating and my pocketbook too thin to cover track time.  Friends who have crashed sell the bike and take up ...I dunno golf.  I truly wanna get back on and do that again- that fast again I mean... Not that bike, that stupid way..but again, soon.
  • Livingston in Southwest WI. USA-"With the good earth all around."
  • 94' K75S, 85' GL1200 Aspencade, 96' VFR750F, 01' GL1800. Restoring: 95' K1100RS, 83' R80RT NEW: Motorvation Formula II
Doing “better than I deserve"

Offline johnny

• TrailBrakingThrottleWhacker
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
  • Whacking...n...Chopping Sliding...n...High Siding
Re: 1987 K75S accident restoration project
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2017, 08:59:53 AM »
greetings...

you are ok... thats the best news...

violent wobble or tank slapper aints no fun... it goes against instinct... butts staying light on the grips and off the brakes is key for the moto to right itself...

sounds like deep in and leaned over at that speed ... you were gonna wipe out no matter what...

proally caused by contact patch inputs rejected by motogyroscopic effect... may never know what initiated it... luck was on your side... soft ditch compared to trees or worse...

hope you getts it fixt up so you can ride that road very soon...

j o

• :johnny i parks my 96 eleven hundert rs motobrick in dodge county cheezconsin  :johnny

Offline Chaos

• Administrator
  • Mars needs women!
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2017, 09:27:25 AM »
when I bonked a deer damage was far worse, I fixed the mechanical issues and got it back on the road then over the next couple years found the body parts cheep on ebay, wrecking yards, and IBMWRA.org.  I was lucky the frame was still straight, they are robust bikes. 
  • sw ohio
1987 K75S    VIN 0231
Original owner, Original litter
200,000 miles (plus or minus) and 5 paint jobs
sold 6/23
2023 Ural 2WD sidecar (BMW's bastard step child)

Offline The Mighty Gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2017, 09:36:21 AM »
Yes, the best news is that despite the condition of the bike you need minimal bodywork! 

From the photos, it appears to me that beyond the windshield and turn signal most of the damage is repairable to a high standard.  One of the plus sides to those incredibly heavy fairing panels is that there is plenty of meat there to facilitate proper repairs that will make them as strong as new.  Hope you're back on the road soon.
  • In my garage in Marilla, NY
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:
'91 K100RS16V "Moby Brick Too"

Past:
'94 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
'92 K100RS16V "Moby Brick" (RIP, deceased in a vehicular assault)
'94 K75S Special Edition Dakar Yellow "Cheetos"
'89 K100RS Special Edition "Special Ed"

Offline Filmcamera

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2017, 10:18:33 AM »
Glad you are ok.  best of luck with the repairs, as mentioned before these are tough old bikes so I am sure you will be back on the road in no time.
  • San Jose, Costa Rica
  • 1991 K100RS 16v ABS1, 2018 Triumph Street Triple RS 765
Poserbricker

Offline The Dude

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2017, 03:30:11 PM »
That's a good crash,no injuries beyond rash.I never saw a reason to quit after,either.I did quit before my fatal accident for a six years hiatus because I was definately getting too cocky when in my early fifties.

My neighbour had a large Hardly Ableson delivered to his door,last Saturday.By Sunday afternoon he was  hospitalised in a coma with a missing leg,his missus a broken arm and the other guy dead by being the head on motorcyclist.He's still in a coma.It has reminded me of how enormously lucky I've been sliding down the road on my ownsome,hitting nothing so far,but it's been a while now...
All the best.
  • Auckland, New Zealand
  • K75s
Current.
TR6R 1973 from new.
Moto guzzi 850 III .1983 from,almost, new.
K75S 1986 from new.vin-0103141
On my second millionth km.give or take a hundred k Kay's.
"The Dude abides. I don't know about you but I take comfort in that. It's good knowin' he's out there."
All the best!

Offline Christopherguzzi

• My first Beemer🏍.
  • ^ Proficient Motobricker
  • It ran when it was parked........27 years ago😳.
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2017, 05:21:33 PM »
So glad to hear that you are ok.   :clap: Best of luck on the restoration. :bmwsmile
  • Little Canada, Minnesota
  • 1986 K75C
Christopherguzzi

Offline Chaos

• Administrator
  • Mars needs women!
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2017, 06:33:05 PM »

My neighbour had a large Hardly Ableson delivered to his door,last Saturday.By Sunday afternoon he was  hospitalised in a coma .....

I need to show that to some of my associates.  It's not healthy to buy a MC for a status symbol. 
  • sw ohio
1987 K75S    VIN 0231
Original owner, Original litter
200,000 miles (plus or minus) and 5 paint jobs
sold 6/23
2023 Ural 2WD sidecar (BMW's bastard step child)

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2017, 09:49:18 PM »
By Sunday afternoon he was  hospitalised in a coma with a missing leg,his missus a broken arm and the other guy dead by being the head on motorcyclist.He's still in a coma.
Bleak, and possible around every blind curve.
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles
I wept because I had no radials until I met a man who had no splines.
https://tinyurl.com/RillRider

Offline Rcgreaves

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2017, 04:21:50 AM »
 :falldown:
that emoji suits me today!!!

I value your generous words. Thank you. 

went back and walked the crash site this am.  It was eerie to stand in the sun, only sore and realize how fortunate I am today.

I took calls today from the insurance company, their adjuster and concerned friends...

Agreed Brick value on my policy is $2500, with a $500 deductible. So if say the salvage value is as the adjuster estimated- at $500 I would net $1500 for restoration bits etc.  ....do I fix it or upgrade???or both.

For now i am too sore and upset to do anything more than park on my man cave couch, back to my brick, surfing YouTube on my Roku.. 

So this wobble:  the contact patch goes away, the bars gyrate...is the Fluidbloc there to fight that like a steering damper Ive seen on bigger bikes?

If my drive line was a chain would I be less likely to tank slap?

its discouraging, I have three inop cycles in my garage in mid August.  Maybe I'll dig into the on closest to road-able first for encouragement. Its true I can get this road worthy without the detailed resto done..winter is 90 days away!!

Tonight I thought about taking a friend's counsel maybe switching to 4 wheels for awhile..Ive been scouting for a late model GTI applied for a loan...Im 54.. no f ing business driving as I was...blast!!!

PS , Laitch, I need remedial training on this edit interface..Im out of practice of late.. I end up backspacing and changing fonts inadvertently.
  • 94' K75S, 85' GL1200 Aspencade, 96' VFR750F, 01' GL1800. Restoring: 95' K1100RS, 83' R80RT NEW: Motorvation Formula II

Offline johnny

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2017, 08:28:46 AM »
greetings...

sand... in the chee im a left tior track ridor... took some getting used to cause i was a outside inside outside ridor for a long time... then late apexing was my thing... outside inside only...

outside inside late apexing is the way to ride on public roads for us... until we moved to the chee... that right tior track and the space between the right tior track and the fog line is generally littered with fine sand and of course rocks because farm implements and trailers pulling the shoulder debris onto the road...

now i seldom ride between the right tior track and the fog line... have slipped too many times in the sand and feel the rocks can cause a tior puncture...

so its the left edge of the right tior track to the left edge of the left tior track for me... i just ignore the center of the right tior track to the fog line as if it was not road at all...

it took some getting used to butts have reduced chance of wrecking by a signification amount staying away from the sand...

now letts talk poo spreaders... and chip seal without warning signs...

j o
  • :johnny i parks my 96 eleven hundert rs motobrick in dodge county cheezconsin  :johnny

Offline jakgieger

• itinerant farmer
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2017, 09:16:17 AM »
R, Sorry to hear of your accident.  We (men) are all born with a finite amount of nerve :bmwsmile , lately my wife tells me that I am exhausting my supply :hehehe in an attempt to prove something (youth/mid life crisis).  I reply that having fulfilled my biological mandate, I can squander my remaining inventory!  I like to push my bike as well...but hopefully within my limits.  Take time to decide what is right for you.

JO, was in your neighborhood (I recognized your picture of the bridge into Dubuque IA) to buy a WI  poo spreader last year, and am surrounded by miles chip seal!  We all just need to know our limits.  If we do not, then you get what you had here last week...
  • Kansas USA
  • 1989 K100rs se
"What we've got here is failure, to communicate.  Some men, you just cain't reach.  So you get what we had here last week.  Which is the way he wants it...Well, he gets it.  I don't like it any more than you men do."

Offline johnny

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2017, 09:24:35 AM »
greetings...

i heart poo and the spreading of poo... what i would like to see minimized is poo spilled on the racing line in the twisty chee...

j o

Offline The Mighty Gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2017, 11:06:19 AM »
I doubt that the shaft drive was responsible.  I don't know of anything about shaft drive vs. chain that makes them inherently more likely to get unstable. 

The fluid block is something I wonder about.  It appears the design depends on the damping properties of a heavy grease in the steering head.  What does that grease look like after 25-30 years?  I have never seen a service interval for the fluid block posted anywhere. 

I don't know the details of your crash, but I had a very close call about a month ago that was somewhat similar.  I went into an unfamiliar blind curve on a farm road a bit too hot with my RS, and about half way in found it went into a rather drastic off-camber decreasing radius.  I made a huge mistake backing off the throttle and tapping the rear brake to get rid of some speed.  The bike instantly stood up and tried to high-side snapping the bars toward the opposite side, somehow after a couple of slappers in about half a second the bike settled down and I was able to exit the turn.  I have no idea how I didn't wind up in the trees lining the edge of the road.

The high center of gravity with the fairing and a full tank doesn't help with stability in those situations.   IMO, if my bricks have a fault, it is that they do not tolerate any deceleration once I am in a turn.  At my age(on the doorstep to 70) with my reflexes, I am finding the need to slow down with my riding to keep me and the bikes shiny.  Sucks...
  • In my garage in Marilla, NY
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:
'91 K100RS16V "Moby Brick Too"

Past:
'94 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
'92 K100RS16V "Moby Brick" (RIP, deceased in a vehicular assault)
'94 K75S Special Edition Dakar Yellow "Cheetos"
'89 K100RS Special Edition "Special Ed"

Offline Martin

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2017, 05:19:18 PM »
RCGREAVES 9/2020 This remains the best most useful post I've received here.  Cheers sir!!

-----------------

Sorry to see your accident and I hope you can get her back on the road. I've ridden lots of bikes starting from the late sixties. And some were highly unstable a couple of Kawasaki's come to mind the H1 and H2 and the Z1. I've had my brick for twenty years and a couple of times when it should of thrown me and started to tank slap it has pulled out by it's self. In my opinion I believe the 75's to be a highly stable bike with no real vices. I've however replaced the grease in my fluid block damper with Dow corning High Vacuum grease. RBM found a interesting video on weave and wobble, produced by Dunlop he might post it. If you can't wait it could be possibly found on You Tube under the title Dunlop Wobble & Weave. And after thinking about it I believe the reason I've survived tank slappers in the past (mainly on Japanese bikes) is that I instinctively move my weight over the front of the bike when it starts to happen. The video suggests that you lie your chest down on the tank. I'm not sure if this has helped or I've just been lucky?
Regards Martin.
  • North Lakes Queensland Australia
  • 1992 K75s Hybrid, Lefaux, Vespa V twin.

Offline prakash

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2017, 06:30:42 PM »
Glad to see you are doing okay. Accidents are no fun. My best wishes on your restoration project. 
  • Maine
  • 1988 BMW K75, 1982 Honda CB900C

Offline Rcgreaves

« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2017, 10:39:46 PM »
Again these are swell, thoughtful replies and sound counsel.

I removed most of the broken bits today the highlight being that -get this.. the front suspension was locked fully down. The bellows normally about a foot tall stood 6 inches- and on the center stand brakes applied the front suspension was locked and full down compression...wow.  Case fairing off now I jacked on the sump, tapped the front strut with my foot and "kahhhfwoppp" (thats a chee tech term for the front struts springing to full extension).

I suspect the sliding slam into that ravine slammed it home?  seems to transit normally.

Whatchu think? 

internal damage?  I've never swapped fork fluid but maybe I need to dig into the front forks.  no bearing wobble, struts transit smoothly as pre- shunt.

So Ill post an extensive parts wanted in the other forum. 

ps...with the throttle quadrant rotated back into place, I fired up the engine and it started normally.

so in sum several fiberglass repairs, blinkers, mirror inner fairing panel...handlebars OK.  pretty cosmetic stuff.. Hizah!!

throttle cable is very sloppy, pulls a full inch outside the brake reservoir.  I've read something about this problem. Help?

Shout out to JackGeiger for that terrific Cool Hand Luke quote.  All brickdom would appreciate the wisdom of this great PL Newman classic. 

Offline Martin

« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2017, 10:44:53 PM »
RC I decided to do a little bit of research on tank slappers there is a fair bit out there on them.  These are some of the theories out there, a steering damper will apparently help a lot, heavier riders are less susceptible to tank slappers ( eat more cake), loosening your grip and moving forward helps. Backing of the throttle and not hitting the front brake helps, as does a light application of the rear brake. It has only happened twice on my bike and it only oscillated a couple of times so as to whether it was the start of a tank slapper I can't really say. the conditions were virtually identical both times. the first time I got pushed virtually into the concrete centre barrier by an out of control yobbo. I dropped down two gears and accelerated hard to get out from under him as he moved across. The edge of the road I was running on ended in a 4" drop off, I had to turn after the drop to avoid a speed limit sign and get back on to the road over a 4" lip. The bike did a couple of oscillations coming back onto the road, and I moved my weight over the tank and that was it. I think the Brick saved me more than I saved it, I had vision of hitting the speed sign. http://www.triumphrat.net/riding-and-survival-skills/88984-tank-slapper-explained.html
Regards Martin.

Offline Rcgreaves

« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2017, 11:17:33 PM »
well the Dunlop wobble and weave video and Martin's Triumphrat forum post pretty much nails what happened to me. 

Youtube link

1  I left pressures at max after a two up tour with my bride the previous weekend.
2  I had a loaded backpack far aft and loaded paniers.
3. I was upright and didn't know to lean forward over the tank
4. I was in the danger zone speed range above 70... I saw 78 on my gopro vid.
5. The un-weighting described in the forum post and staggered position of front and rear tire are very likely on the rising curve where I lost control traversing a big patch in the tarmac entering the rising corner...

6 my rear shock spring was dialed down tight, I'll soften that setting back to my normal one up setting.. too soft and my weaves in sweeping highway curves.

Offline Rcgreaves

« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2017, 09:57:12 AM »
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-K75C-OEM-Tail-Section-Primed-and-ready-to-paint-/263087443633?fromMakeTrack=true

My bride complained of a lack of hand holds.. I stand periodically to stretch and she's sliding about!!! this C part has hand holds, mine now cracked and the under seat mount points does not..

will it bolt right up?

methinks yes. 

real oem site a gem Jonnny!

Offline Rcgreaves

« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2017, 10:07:17 AM »
So this part number doesn't exactly match  real oem says 466314566195 and 6 R + L

https://www.ebay.com/i/282602238052?chn=ps&dispItem=1

ebay offer is 192 ?? enlarging the image the last digit just doesn't show...$99 is good!  ill query the seller.

Maybe a diff year, same part...not likely right?  "talk amongst yurselvezz"

Offline Rcgreaves

« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2017, 10:46:16 AM »
Oh crap this would make my job go fast...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/322644377606?forcerRptr=true&item=322644377606&viewitem=

is this dude on the forum?   Really attached to Columbia Silver....but this would have me riding next week...

Offline johnny

« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2017, 11:20:49 AM »
greetings...

if you wants to ride a low seat home today i come fetch you... you ride bitch... we roll to sota up the 35... bring straps to haul the extras...

j o

Offline Martin

« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2017, 06:44:53 PM »
The grease to use on the 75 steering damper is still available, this is the smallest amount I could find easy enough to grease the damper. http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/DOW-CORNING-Laboratory-High-Vacuum-Grease-976V-Stopcock-/280617417858?
Or for a larger amount, I also use it under brake cylinder boots and under fork seal dust caps.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Dow-Corning-High-Vacuum-Grease-/371046333370?

Regards Martin.

Offline Rcgreaves

« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2017, 10:41:32 PM »
greetings...

if you wants to ride a low seat home today i come fetch you... you ride bitch... we roll to sota up the 35... bring straps to haul the extras...

j o
J O:

No I won't have $ til next week...35 bitchin w you would be memorable.  No sense looking sans $$ otherwise I'd say Yes.

Sent from my A573VC using Tapatalk

Tags: